Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NJ
Been thanked: 0

Re: Way Too Early Predictions

Post by whythelongface »

Riptide wrote:
whythelongface wrote:
CrayolaCrayon wrote:What about UPENN? They're pretty stacked.
SOUP is a great competition for judging the Northeast region in general, but historically Troy and Solon haven't showed. I think it unlikely that this trend will be broken; SOUP is a difficult competition, but it doesn't have the "prestige" of MIT, which I guess really does matter for Troy.
Unless they’ve made some last second decision that I don’t know about, Troy will be attending SOUP alongside many other top teams (most likely the most competitive invitational this year). While SOUP may not have the prestige of MIT, it is a great tournament and will still be a pretty good indicator of how many schools stack up to each other. SOUP Teams.

While I’m here might as well make my prediction:
1. Troy
2. Harriton
3. Solon
4. Mason
5. TX
6. Mounds View
7. Acton Boxborough
8. Mira Loma
9. NJ
10. New Trier
I was not aware of this, thanks for the correction. Didn't Troy only say they were going to SOUP because they're not going to MIT?
WEST WINDSOR-PLAINSBORO HIGH SCHOOL SOUTH '18
EMORY UNIVERSITY '22
SONT 2017 5th Place Medalist [Microbe Mission]

"One little Sciolyer left all alone,
He went out and hanged himself and then there were none."

Congratulations to WW-P South/Grover for winning 2nd/1st place at NJ States!
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

whythelongface wrote:
Riptide wrote:
whythelongface wrote:
SOUP is a great competition for judging the Northeast region in general, but historically Troy and Solon haven't showed. I think it unlikely that this trend will be broken; SOUP is a difficult competition, but it doesn't have the "prestige" of MIT, which I guess really does matter for Troy.
Unless they’ve made some last second decision that I don’t know about, Troy will be attending SOUP alongside many other top teams (most likely the most competitive invitational this year). While SOUP may not have the prestige of MIT, it is a great tournament and will still be a pretty good indicator of how many schools stack up to each other. SOUP Teams.

While I’m here might as well make my prediction:
1. Troy
2. Harriton
3. Solon
4. Mason
5. TX
6. Mounds View
7. Acton Boxborough
8. Mira Loma
9. NJ
10. New Trier
I was not aware of this, thanks for the correction. Didn't Troy only say they were going to SOUP because they're not going to MIT?
As I understand it, Troy chose Mira Loma over MIT, and decided on SOUP because they wanted a tournament where they wouldn't win 1st and 2nd. I think there's a thread on here somewhere about it.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Justin72835
State: TX
Has thanked: 0

Post by Justin72835 »

Unome wrote: As I understand it, Troy chose Mira Loma over MIT, and decided on SOUP because they wanted a tournament where they wouldn't win 1st and 2nd. I think there's a thread on here somewhere about it.
For those that are interested, this is the thread that Unome is referring to.
"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars,
But in ourselves, that we are underlings."

University of Texas at Austin '23
Seven Lakes High School '19
AlbatrossTree

Post by AlbatrossTree »

Carpenter wrote:
Adi1008 wrote:
Paypog wrote:
Lol good luck. They're Troy. They don't fall until they have fallen.
2016 wasn't that long ago...
I believe that Paypog is saying that you can't say that Troy will fall until it actually happens.
I'll go out on a limb and say that Troy will pull what they did at Nats several years ago and bomb an event or two (Wright Stuff was the issue that year if I remember correctly?). This time I would expect it to be Mason or Solon (Harriton is possible too) taking that top slot instead of Mira Loma though.
Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS »

I'm disappointed that nobody has mentioned Enloe yet... Just like nobody saw them coming last year either. :D

MIT tomorrow will give us a better look at them, but I think they have a great chance to do well this year. Last year was the first time in many years that any team has completely ran away with NC at states. It makes me think that they might be able to focus more on nationals from the start of the year (I heard that placing top 10 as they did last year was not on their radar at the beginning of the year) and therefore do better this year.

With that being said, I did hear that they lost a lot of talent last year, so who knows.
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
pb5754
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by pb5754 »

1. Acton-Boxborough
2. Troy
:P
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South '21
2021 Nationals: Astronomy - 1st, Geologic Mapping - 1st, Team - 6th
satvik03
Division: B

Post by satvik03 »

Troy is Troy, so...
Community 2018-2019
2018-2019 Events:
LISO/Rustin/Regs/Garnet/Cornell/States/Nats!
Thermo: 1/1/x/x/2/5/12
Circuit: 2/3/x/4/10/1/11
Experimental Design: 2/1/1/10/5/1/13
2018-2019 Medal Count: 15
National "What Are You Trying To Tell Me" Champion! (lol)
mnoga
State: CA

Post by mnoga »

satvik03 wrote:Troy is Troy, so...
Mira Loma results:

Troy A 120
Troy B 140
Mtn View 180
Northwood 190
Monta Vista 219
Glen A Wilson 227

I believe Troy's scores were lower last year in this tourament, and Mtn View too. I was talking to one of the Troy Mentors and he implied that their team is not as strong (at least now) as last year and that they have work to do.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

mnoga wrote:
Mira Loma results:

Troy A 120
Troy B 140
Mtn View 180
Northwood 190
Monta Vista 219
Glen A Wilson 227

I believe Troy's scores were lower last year in this tourament, and Mtn View too. I was talking to one of the Troy Mentors and he implied that their team is not as strong (at least now) as last year and that they have work to do.
That does seem a little worse for them. Depends how the breakdown is of course, but I would have expected 30-40 points less.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
mnoga
State: CA

Post by mnoga »

Unome wrote:
mnoga wrote:
Mira Loma results:

Troy A 120
Troy B 140
Mtn View 180
Northwood 190
Monta Vista 219
Glen A Wilson 227

That does seem a little worse for them. Depends how the breakdown is of course, but I would have expected 30-40 points less.
I looked at 2018 score sheet, and Troy's results were 106 and 113. Mtn View was around 160. Northwood wasn't in the tournament last year (one of the better teams in SoCal), so perhaps one reason.

Return to “2019 Nationals”