Circuit Lab B/C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1465
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 7:42 am
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Circuit Lab B/C

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » April 15th, 2019, 2:41 pm

Restarting... what force is exerted between two protons one meter apart?

User avatar
krasabnk
Member
Member
Posts: 31
Joined: March 4th, 2018, 10:08 am
Division: Grad
State: NC

Re: Circuit Lab B/C

Postby krasabnk » April 15th, 2019, 4:40 pm

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:Restarting... what force is exerted between two protons one meter apart?

Using Coulomb's law and knowing protons are elementary charges.... F = (9x10^9)(1.6x10^-19)(1.6x10^-19) / (1)^2... Would the answer be 2.30x10-28 N?
DaVinci's Dragons 2019
2019/2018 Div C events
2019:
regionals/states
<3 Herpetology: 1/3
:evil: Circuit Lab 5/15
:?: Experimental Design -/19

2018:
regionals/ states
<3 Herpetology: 1/4
:?: Disease Detectives: 4/19

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1465
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 7:42 am
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Circuit Lab B/C

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » April 15th, 2019, 5:18 pm

krasabnk wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:Restarting... what force is exerted between two protons one meter apart?

Using Coulomb's law and knowing protons are elementary charges.... F = (9x10^9)(1.6x10^-19)(1.6x10^-19) / (1)^2... Would the answer be 2.30x10-28 N?

Seems right, your turn!

User avatar
krasabnk
Member
Member
Posts: 31
Joined: March 4th, 2018, 10:08 am
Division: Grad
State: NC

Re: Circuit Lab B/C

Postby krasabnk » April 15th, 2019, 6:06 pm

C Only
Image
Given this orientation of an operational amplifier, find the value of Rf (in kΩ) if the Vin = 20 mV, Rg = 3.8 kΩ, and Vout = 64 mV
(sorry for my bad drawing, haha)
DaVinci's Dragons 2019
2019/2018 Div C events
2019:
regionals/states
<3 Herpetology: 1/3
:evil: Circuit Lab 5/15
:?: Experimental Design -/19

2018:
regionals/ states
<3 Herpetology: 1/4
:?: Disease Detectives: 4/19

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1465
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 7:42 am
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Circuit Lab B/C

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » April 15th, 2019, 6:24 pm

krasabnk wrote:Image
Given this orientation of an operational amplifier, find the value of Rf in kΩ if the Vin = 20 mV, Rg = 3.8 kΩ, and Vout = 64 mV
(sorry for my bad drawing, haha)

I love this drawing
Answer
8.36 kiloohms?

User avatar
krasabnk
Member
Member
Posts: 31
Joined: March 4th, 2018, 10:08 am
Division: Grad
State: NC

Re: Circuit Lab B/C

Postby krasabnk » April 15th, 2019, 6:30 pm

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:I love this drawing
Answer
8.36 kiloohms?

Thank you, haha!
Looks good, your turn :)
DaVinci's Dragons 2019
2019/2018 Div C events
2019:
regionals/states
<3 Herpetology: 1/3
:evil: Circuit Lab 5/15
:?: Experimental Design -/19

2018:
regionals/ states
<3 Herpetology: 1/4
:?: Disease Detectives: 4/19

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1465
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 7:42 am
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Circuit Lab B/C

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » April 16th, 2019, 8:33 am

Simplify the following logical expression in terms of only AND and OR: XOR(A, XOR(B, AND(NOT(OR(A, B)), NOT(XOR(B, NOT(AND(A, A)))))))

wec01
Member
Member
Posts: 184
Joined: February 22nd, 2019, 4:02 pm
Division: Grad
State: VA

Re: Circuit Lab B/C

Postby wec01 » April 16th, 2019, 12:26 pm

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:Simplify the following logical expression in terms of only AND and OR: XOR(A, XOR(B, AND(NOT(OR(A, B)), NOT(XOR(B, NOT(AND(A, A)))))))


I probably messed up somewhere but here is an attempt:
OR(AND(NOT(A), B), AND(B, NOT(A)))
2019 Nationals Medals:
4th place Fossils
5th place Sounds of Music
2nd place Thermodynamics

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1465
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 7:42 am
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Circuit Lab B/C

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » April 16th, 2019, 5:05 pm

wec01 wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:Simplify the following logical expression in terms of only AND and OR: XOR(A, XOR(B, AND(NOT(OR(A, B)), NOT(XOR(B, NOT(AND(A, A)))))))


I probably messed up somewhere but here is an attempt:
OR(AND(NOT(A), B), AND(B, NOT(A)))

Oops, I forgot to specify you could use NOT too. Looks right, your turn!

wec01
Member
Member
Posts: 184
Joined: February 22nd, 2019, 4:02 pm
Division: Grad
State: VA

Re: Circuit Lab B/C

Postby wec01 » April 16th, 2019, 5:17 pm

Image
Suppose you find an LED whose datasheet contains the above graph. What value resistor should you put in series with this LED and a 5V power source in order to have a current of 20 mA going through the circuit.
2019 Nationals Medals:
4th place Fossils
5th place Sounds of Music
2nd place Thermodynamics

User avatar
krasabnk
Member
Member
Posts: 31
Joined: March 4th, 2018, 10:08 am
Division: Grad
State: NC

Re: Circuit Lab B/C

Postby krasabnk » April 16th, 2019, 5:50 pm

wec01 wrote:Image
Suppose you find an LED whose datasheet contains the above graph. What value resistor should you put in series with this LED and a 5V power source in order to have a current of 20 mA going through the circuit.

Answer
Is it 175 ohms?
DaVinci's Dragons 2019
2019/2018 Div C events
2019:
regionals/states
<3 Herpetology: 1/3
:evil: Circuit Lab 5/15
:?: Experimental Design -/19

2018:
regionals/ states
<3 Herpetology: 1/4
:?: Disease Detectives: 4/19

wec01
Member
Member
Posts: 184
Joined: February 22nd, 2019, 4:02 pm
Division: Grad
State: VA

Re: Circuit Lab B/C

Postby wec01 » April 16th, 2019, 6:13 pm

krasabnk wrote:
wec01 wrote:Image
Suppose you find an LED whose datasheet contains the above graph. What value resistor should you put in series with this LED and a 5V power source in order to have a current of 20 mA going through the circuit.

Answer
Is it 175 ohms?

Not quite, but I see what you did:
Hint
The voltage values on the graph give the voltage drop across the LED; you need to calculate the voltage drop across the resistor before you can use Ohm's law to find it's value.
2019 Nationals Medals:
4th place Fossils
5th place Sounds of Music
2nd place Thermodynamics

User avatar
krasabnk
Member
Member
Posts: 31
Joined: March 4th, 2018, 10:08 am
Division: Grad
State: NC

Re: Circuit Lab B/C

Postby krasabnk » April 16th, 2019, 7:00 pm

wec01 wrote:
krasabnk wrote:
wec01 wrote:Image
Suppose you find an LED whose datasheet contains the above graph. What value resistor should you put in series with this LED and a 5V power source in order to have a current of 20 mA going through the circuit.

Answer
Is it 175 ohms?

Not quite, but I see what you did:
Hint
The voltage values on the graph give the voltage drop across the LED; you need to calculate the voltage drop across the resistor before you can use Ohm's law to find it's value.

Answer
Oh, so is it 75 ohms?
DaVinci's Dragons 2019
2019/2018 Div C events
2019:
regionals/states
<3 Herpetology: 1/3
:evil: Circuit Lab 5/15
:?: Experimental Design -/19

2018:
regionals/ states
<3 Herpetology: 1/4
:?: Disease Detectives: 4/19

wec01
Member
Member
Posts: 184
Joined: February 22nd, 2019, 4:02 pm
Division: Grad
State: VA

Re: Circuit Lab B/C

Postby wec01 » April 16th, 2019, 7:02 pm

krasabnk wrote:
wec01 wrote:
krasabnk wrote:
Answer
Is it 175 ohms?

Not quite, but I see what you did:
Hint
The voltage values on the graph give the voltage drop across the LED; you need to calculate the voltage drop across the resistor before you can use Ohm's law to find it's value.

Answer
Oh, so is it 75 ohms?

Yep, your turn
2019 Nationals Medals:
4th place Fossils
5th place Sounds of Music
2nd place Thermodynamics

User avatar
krasabnk
Member
Member
Posts: 31
Joined: March 4th, 2018, 10:08 am
Division: Grad
State: NC

Re: Circuit Lab B/C

Postby krasabnk » April 16th, 2019, 7:44 pm

Explain the mathematical difference between the Product of Sums and the Sum of Products procedures of Boolean expressions
Hint
Think variables and complements
DaVinci's Dragons 2019
2019/2018 Div C events
2019:
regionals/states
<3 Herpetology: 1/3
:evil: Circuit Lab 5/15
:?: Experimental Design -/19

2018:
regionals/ states
<3 Herpetology: 1/4
:?: Disease Detectives: 4/19


Return to “Question Marathons”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest