Anatomy and Physiology B/C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
drcubbin
Division: B
State: NY

Re: Anatomy and Physiology B/C

Post by drcubbin »

Banana2020 wrote: March 12th, 2021, 1:46 pm
1. Titin gives elastic stabilization of relative positions of myosin and actin filaments, Nebulin stabilizes actin filaments, thereby regulating filament length 2. 16% 3. Bisphosphonates and Monoclonal antibody medications idk if that was right
1.What compound in the disease-causing organisms mediates adhesion? Access to what epithelial cell receptor component is necessary for colonization?
2.75-year old Asian lady comes in complaining of progressive loss of height. She says she feels like she is stooping forward more and more and is unable to walk upright. An x-ray of her back is attachedbelow. She says she also feels intermittent, shooting pain down her left leg. She also has tingling and numbness down here left leg sometimes. Her medical history indicates that she was previously treated for breast cancer with surgery and radiation(Look at the attached image). What disorder is the patient suffering from? Why is the patient experiencing shooting pain down her left leg? As a physician given your patients past medical record, what should you be worried about?
3.Where are calcium channels in smooth muscle concentrated?

I am just touching on #2... Compression fracture of L2. While many would wonder why any L1/L2 nerve impingement would cause sciatica, it is because the sciatic nerve is (can be) composed of nerves from the entire lumbar plexus and any IVD protrusion into the spinal canal can cause cord compression or some degree of spinal stenosis may have occurred as a result of the vertebral body compression also pushing into the canal and onto the cord. Radiation treatment could result in demineralization of the spine and lead to further instability and possible compression. And (from a chiropractic viewpoint) she is also showing L4/L5 vertebral body rotation, sacral tipping which could be coming from the obvious thoracolumbar instability from the fracture (note the ramrod appearance of the L1 and some of L2. Full spine thoracolumbar films would shed more light on this. Decompression therapy with spinal manipulation would not be contraindicated, depending on the acute nature of pain onset and/or etiology symptoms.
Last edited by drcubbin on April 2nd, 2021, 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
MorningCoffee
Division: C
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by MorningCoffee »

I feel as if there has been some confusion pertaining to how Question Marathons work, and this has literally died, so I'm gonna revive this with some fresh, very easy questions, just to keep this going, and I want to make it clear that you can still try to answer questions, even if you have not the slightest idea what the answer is. We're all about helping and learning here, so don't be scared to try! :D If you are confused about how a Question Marathon works, check out this post!

1. Name the 3 most common types of skin cancer, and rank them in order by most deadly to least deadly.
2. Name all the types of synovial joints and an example of each within the human skeleton.
3. Define abduction and adduction.
These users thanked the author MorningCoffee for the post:
shalubeta (May 17th, 2021, 6:35 pm)
Events 2023-2024:
uhh we'll find out let me apply to college first

orch dork forever
hot chocolate is best drink c:
Mr.Epithelium
Division: C
State: KY

Post by Mr.Epithelium »

MorningCoffee wrote: May 17th, 2021, 2:49 pm I feel as if there has been some confusion pertaining to how Question Marathons work, and this has literally died, so I'm gonna revive this with some fresh, very easy questions, just to keep this going, and I want to make it clear that you can still try to answer questions, even if you have not the slightest idea what the answer is. We're all about helping and learning here, so don't be scared to try! :D If you are confused about how a Question Marathon works, check out this post!

1. Name the 3 most common types of skin cancer, and rank them in order by most deadly to least deadly.
2. Name all the types of synovial joints and an example of each within the human skeleton.
3. Define abduction and adduction.
1. Melanoma, squamous cell, basal cell
2. Hinge- elbow; pivot- axis/atlas; plane- intercapal; condyloid- wrist; ball-and-socket- shoulder; saddle- trapeziometacarpal
3. abduction- something moves away from the body in frontal plane (angle w/ midline increases), adduction- something moves toward body in frontal plane (angle w/ midline decreases)
My first name is Nonkeratinized. My middle name is Squamous.

Return to “2021 Question Marathons”