Anatomy and Physiology B/C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
amk578
Member
Member
Posts: 84
Joined: December 5th, 2018, 5:21 pm
Division: C
State: IN

Re: Anatomy and Physiology B/C

Postby amk578 » February 21st, 2019, 1:46 pm

Questions
1. List three things that hematocrits are useful in diagnosing.
2. What are the layers of the kidney from deep to superficial?
3. Which lymphatic duct carries chyle?
Events (r/s)

2018 - anatomy (1/2), crime (3/15), road (1/6)
2019 - anatomy (1/1), disease(2/2), heredity (1/1), road (1/5)

gillio
Member
Member
Posts: 35
Joined: March 27th, 2017, 3:56 pm
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Anatomy and Physiology B/C

Postby gillio » February 21st, 2019, 5:08 pm

amk578 wrote:
Questions
1. List three things that hematocrits are useful in diagnosing.
2. What are the layers of the kidney from deep to superficial?
3. Which lymphatic duct carries chyle?


Answers
1. anemia, polycythemia, dehydration
2. Renal capsule, adipose capsule, renal fascia
3. thoracic
2019 Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Water Quality and Herpetology :)

amk578
Member
Member
Posts: 84
Joined: December 5th, 2018, 5:21 pm
Division: C
State: IN

Re: Anatomy and Physiology B/C

Postby amk578 » February 22nd, 2019, 12:07 pm

gillio wrote:
amk578 wrote:
Questions
1. List three things that hematocrits are useful in diagnosing.
2. What are the layers of the kidney from deep to superficial?
3. Which lymphatic duct carries chyle?


Answers
1. anemia, polycythemia, dehydration
2. Renal capsule, adipose capsule, renal fascia
3. thoracic


Looks good, but it's also helpful to know about the pararenal fat outside of the renal fascia.
Your turn.
Events (r/s)

2018 - anatomy (1/2), crime (3/15), road (1/6)
2019 - anatomy (1/1), disease(2/2), heredity (1/1), road (1/5)

gillio
Member
Member
Posts: 35
Joined: March 27th, 2017, 3:56 pm
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Anatomy and Physiology B/C

Postby gillio » February 24th, 2019, 10:21 am

Questions:
1. The spleen produces RBCs until the ________ month of gestation.
2. Define a thymocyte
3, The common lymphoid progenitor gives rise to __________, ____________, __________ and _________.
Hint: Plasma cell is not a part of this list because it is a further type of a lymphocyte.
2019 Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Water Quality and Herpetology :)

amk578
Member
Member
Posts: 84
Joined: December 5th, 2018, 5:21 pm
Division: C
State: IN

Re: Anatomy and Physiology B/C

Postby amk578 » February 24th, 2019, 1:33 pm

gillio wrote:Questions:
1. The spleen produces RBCs until the ________ month of gestation.
2. Define a thymocyte
3, The common lymphoid progenitor gives rise to __________, ____________, __________ and _________.
Hint: Plasma cell is not a part of this list because it is a further type of a lymphocyte.


Answers
1. fifth
2. Thymocytes are progenitor cells important in thymopoiesis, which is when thymocytes differentiate into mature T cells.
3. NK cells, T cells, B cells, and dendritic cells?
Events (r/s)

2018 - anatomy (1/2), crime (3/15), road (1/6)
2019 - anatomy (1/1), disease(2/2), heredity (1/1), road (1/5)

gillio
Member
Member
Posts: 35
Joined: March 27th, 2017, 3:56 pm
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Anatomy and Physiology B/C

Postby gillio » February 24th, 2019, 5:32 pm

amk578 wrote:
gillio wrote:Questions:
1. The spleen produces RBCs until the ________ month of gestation.
2. Define a thymocyte
3, The common lymphoid progenitor gives rise to __________, ____________, __________ and _________.
Hint: Plasma cell is not a part of this list because it is a further type of a lymphocyte.


Answers
1. fifth
2. Thymocytes are progenitor cells important in thymopoiesis, which is when thymocytes differentiate into mature T cells.
3. NK cells, T cells, B cells, and dendritic cells?


all correct your turn
2019 Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Water Quality and Herpetology :)

amk578
Member
Member
Posts: 84
Joined: December 5th, 2018, 5:21 pm
Division: C
State: IN

Re: Anatomy and Physiology B/C

Postby amk578 » February 26th, 2019, 6:25 pm

questions
1. The ______ is a remnant of the ______, a fetal structure that shunts blood from pulmonary arteries to aorta to bypass the uninflated lungs.
2. Which tonsils are the largest and are the most commonly infected?
3. TRUE OR FALSE: The distal convoluted tubule is lined with simple cuboidal epithelium with luminal surface microvilli.
Events (r/s)

2018 - anatomy (1/2), crime (3/15), road (1/6)
2019 - anatomy (1/1), disease(2/2), heredity (1/1), road (1/5)

koby392
Member
Member
Posts: 4
Joined: February 22nd, 2019, 4:57 pm
Division: C
State: VA

Re: Anatomy and Physiology B/C

Postby koby392 » February 26th, 2019, 6:38 pm

amk578 wrote:
questions
1. The ______ is a remnant of the ______, a fetal structure that shunts blood from pulmonary arteries to aorta to bypass the uninflated lungs.
2. Which tonsils are the largest and are the most commonly infected?
3. TRUE OR FALSE: The distal convoluted tubule is lined with simple cuboidal epithelium with luminal surface microvilli.


answers
1. ligamentum arteriosum (arterial ligament), ductus arteriosus
2. palatine
3. true

amk578
Member
Member
Posts: 84
Joined: December 5th, 2018, 5:21 pm
Division: C
State: IN

Re: Anatomy and Physiology B/C

Postby amk578 » February 27th, 2019, 5:52 am

koby392 wrote:
amk578 wrote:
questions
1. The ______ is a remnant of the ______, a fetal structure that shunts blood from pulmonary arteries to aorta to bypass the uninflated lungs.
2. Which tonsils are the largest and are the most commonly infected?
3. TRUE OR FALSE: The distal convoluted tubule is lined with simple cuboidal epithelium with luminal surface microvilli.


answers
1. ligamentum arteriosum (arterial ligament), ductus arteriosus
2. palatine
3. true


1 and 2 look right, but 3 is false. The DCT does have simple cuboidal epithelium but it doesn't have villi, the PCT has villi in the lumen.
Your turn.
Events (r/s)

2018 - anatomy (1/2), crime (3/15), road (1/6)
2019 - anatomy (1/1), disease(2/2), heredity (1/1), road (1/5)

koby392
Member
Member
Posts: 4
Joined: February 22nd, 2019, 4:57 pm
Division: C
State: VA

Re: Anatomy and Physiology B/C

Postby koby392 » February 27th, 2019, 3:57 pm

questions
1. _____ is commonly used to calculate GFR. When it's concentration is higher, GFR is ____.
Image
2. What atrial rhythm is shown above?
3. Order the following arteries moving from the renal artery to the afferent arteriole: arcuate, segmental, interlobar, interlobular

donutsandcupcakes
Member
Member
Posts: 37
Joined: November 24th, 2018, 6:18 am

Re: Anatomy and Physiology B/C

Postby donutsandcupcakes » February 27th, 2019, 6:14 pm

koby392 wrote:
questions
1. _____ is commonly used to calculate GFR. When it's concentration is higher, GFR is ____.
Image
2. What atrial rhythm is shown above?
3. Order the following arteries moving from the renal artery to the afferent arteriole: arcuate, segmental, interlobar, interlobular

answers
1. NFR, higher.
2.??
3. segmental, interlobar, arcuate, interlobular


Are we supposed to know the disorder the EKG represents? Also, are there chances that they would ask us a question similar to number 2?

koby392
Member
Member
Posts: 4
Joined: February 22nd, 2019, 4:57 pm
Division: C
State: VA

Re: Anatomy and Physiology B/C

Postby koby392 » February 27th, 2019, 8:06 pm

donutsandcupcakes wrote:
koby392 wrote:
questions
1. _____ is commonly used to calculate GFR. When it's concentration is higher, GFR is ____.
Image
2. What atrial rhythm is shown above?
3. Order the following arteries moving from the renal artery to the afferent arteriole: arcuate, segmental, interlobar, interlobular

answers
1. NFR, higher.
2.??
3. segmental, interlobar, arcuate, interlobular


Are we supposed to know the disorder the EKG represents? Also, are there chances that they would ask us a question similar to number 2?


1. creatinine, decreases (sorry if I wasn't clear in this question!)
2. wandering pacemaker

Other than that it looks good. We need to know how to read EKGs, so when I was studying that I also looked at different heart rhythms in case they'd show up on a test (which hasn't happened yet). Your turn!

donutsandcupcakes
Member
Member
Posts: 37
Joined: November 24th, 2018, 6:18 am

Re: Anatomy and Physiology B/C

Postby donutsandcupcakes » February 27th, 2019, 8:20 pm

I'm sorry in advance if some of the questions below don't make sense...
Last edited by donutsandcupcakes on February 27th, 2019, 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

donutsandcupcakes
Member
Member
Posts: 37
Joined: November 24th, 2018, 6:18 am

Re: Anatomy and Physiology B/C

Postby donutsandcupcakes » February 27th, 2019, 8:22 pm

questions
1. 97% of erythrocytes is __________
2. What is the shape of erythrocytes and how does that affect/help them?
3. What does opsonization mean?
4. Liver contains a system of carrier molecules and enzymes which convert ammonia + ______ into urea.

jxxu20
Member
Member
Posts: 56
Joined: December 5th, 2017, 2:54 pm
Division: B
State: NJ

Re: Anatomy and Physiology B/C

Postby jxxu20 » February 28th, 2019, 3:58 am

Answer
1. Hemoglobin?
2. The biconcave disc shape increases the RBC's surface area and allows it to carry more oxygen.
3. Opsonization is the process in which antigens are tagged for destruction by phagocytes.
4. CO2
"Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood." -- George Orwell, 1984

Events 2019: A&P, Heredity, Picture This, P&P


Return to “Question Marathons”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests