Fossils B/C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
User avatar
hmmm
Member
Member
Posts: 127
Joined: January 10th, 2019, 2:33 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Location: the universe

Fossils B/C

Post by hmmm » September 3rd, 2019, 9:02 am

Image
1.ID genus + class
2. What does its name mean?
3. What is its shell made of?
4. How does it feed?
Community 2017-2019
WWP North 2019-2020
2nd Place Water Quality 2019
Rocks and Minerals, Ecology
Disease Detectives, Fossils, Game On, Water Quality
2019-2020:
Dynamic Planet, Fossils, Ornithology, Water Quality
Wiki Userpage
Constantly Late Sassy #142

wec01
Member
Member
Posts: 220
Joined: February 22nd, 2019, 4:02 pm
Division: Grad
State: VA

Re: Fossils B/C

Post by wec01 » September 3rd, 2019, 8:02 pm

hmmm wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 9:02 am
Image
1.ID genus + class
2. What does its name mean?
3. What is its shell made of?
4. How does it feed?
1. [i]turritella[/i], Gastropoda
2. Turreted
3. Calcite
4. Filter feeding
2019 Division C Nationals Medals:
4th place Fossils
5th place Sounds of Music
2nd place Thermodynamics

User avatar
hmmm
Member
Member
Posts: 127
Joined: January 10th, 2019, 2:33 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Location: the universe

Re: Fossils B/C

Post by hmmm » September 6th, 2019, 6:26 pm

wec01 wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 8:02 pm
hmmm wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 9:02 am
Image
1.ID genus + class
2. What does its name mean?
3. What is its shell made of?
4. How does it feed?
1. [i]turritella[/i], Gastropoda
2. Turreted
3. Calcite
4. Filter feeding
Yep, your turn
Community 2017-2019
WWP North 2019-2020
2nd Place Water Quality 2019
Rocks and Minerals, Ecology
Disease Detectives, Fossils, Game On, Water Quality
2019-2020:
Dynamic Planet, Fossils, Ornithology, Water Quality
Wiki Userpage
Constantly Late Sassy #142

wec01
Member
Member
Posts: 220
Joined: February 22nd, 2019, 4:02 pm
Division: Grad
State: VA

Re: Fossils B/C

Post by wec01 » September 7th, 2019, 8:48 pm

1. During which period did ancestors of Crocodilia become predominant?
2. Which is more closely related to modern elephants: mammuthus or mammut?
3. Which of the following went extinct during the End-Permian mass extinction: dimetrodon, lystrosaurus, Eurypterida?
4. What suborder of dinosaur did birds descend from?
2019 Division C Nationals Medals:
4th place Fossils
5th place Sounds of Music
2nd place Thermodynamics

User avatar
reninkidney
Member
Member
Posts: 56
Joined: April 6th, 2019, 3:29 pm
Division: B

Re: Fossils B/C

Post by reninkidney » September 7th, 2019, 11:11 pm

1. During which period did ancestors of Crocodilia become predominant?
2. Which is more closely related to modern elephants: mammuthus or mammut?
3. Which of the following went extinct during the End-Permian mass extinction: dimetrodon, lystrosaurus, Eurypterida?
4. What suborder of dinosaur did birds descend from?
1. Permian...???
2. Mammuthus
3. Eurypterida
4. Saurischia
2020 Events: A&P, Fossils, Heredity, XPD

wec01
Member
Member
Posts: 220
Joined: February 22nd, 2019, 4:02 pm
Division: Grad
State: VA

Re: Fossils B/C

Post by wec01 » September 8th, 2019, 3:27 pm

reninkidney wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 11:11 pm
1. During which period did ancestors of Crocodilia become predominant?
2. Which is more closely related to modern elephants: mammuthus or mammut?
3. Which of the following went extinct during the End-Permian mass extinction: dimetrodon, lystrosaurus, Eurypterida?
4. What suborder of dinosaur did birds descend from?
1. Permian...???
2. Mammuthus
3. Eurypterida
4. Saurischia
Number 2 and 3 are good, for number 1, Triassic, and for number 4, to be more specific, Theropoda. Your turn
2019 Division C Nationals Medals:
4th place Fossils
5th place Sounds of Music
2nd place Thermodynamics

User avatar
reninkidney
Member
Member
Posts: 56
Joined: April 6th, 2019, 3:29 pm
Division: B

Re: Fossils B/C

Post by reninkidney » September 8th, 2019, 8:29 pm

Yay!

What are some differences between Ornithischian and Saurischian dinosaurs?
2020 Events: A&P, Fossils, Heredity, XPD

wec01
Member
Member
Posts: 220
Joined: February 22nd, 2019, 4:02 pm
Division: Grad
State: VA

Re: Fossils B/C

Post by wec01 » October 2nd, 2019, 5:34 pm

reninkidney wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 8:29 pm
Yay!

What are some differences between Ornithischian and Saurischian dinosaurs?
1. Ornithischians have a backwards facing pubis while Saurischians have one facing forward
2. Birds descended from Saurischians while Ornithischians have no descendants
3. Ornithischians were typically herbivorous while Saurischians tended to be carnivorous
2019 Division C Nationals Medals:
4th place Fossils
5th place Sounds of Music
2nd place Thermodynamics

User avatar
reninkidney
Member
Member
Posts: 56
Joined: April 6th, 2019, 3:29 pm
Division: B

Re: Fossils B/C

Post by reninkidney » October 5th, 2019, 9:06 pm

Yay!

What are some differences between Ornithischian and Saurischian dinosaurs?
1. Ornithischians have a backwards facing pubis while Saurischians have one facing forward
2. Birds descended from Saurischians while Ornithischians have no descendants
3. Ornithischians were typically herbivorous while Saurischians tended to be carnivorous
All right. Your turn!
2020 Events: A&P, Fossils, Heredity, XPD

wec01
Member
Member
Posts: 220
Joined: February 22nd, 2019, 4:02 pm
Division: Grad
State: VA

Re: Fossils B/C

Post by wec01 » October 14th, 2019, 5:58 am

What are two ways increasing CO2 levels in the atmosphere can harm corals?
2019 Division C Nationals Medals:
4th place Fossils
5th place Sounds of Music
2nd place Thermodynamics

Post Reply

Return to “Question Marathons”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests