Fossils B/C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
User avatar
hmmm
Member
Member
Posts: 122
Joined: January 10th, 2019, 2:33 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Location: the universe

Re: Fossils B/C

Post by hmmm » December 26th, 2019, 3:39 pm

reninkidney wrote:
December 26th, 2019, 1:30 pm
1. Identify this specimen to the genus and class level:
Image

2. What is the difference between Holochroal and Schizochroal eyes? Which type of eyes does this specimen posses?

3. What are the 3 types of trilobite facial sutures?

4. Identify this specimen:
Image
What is this specimen made of?
1.eldredgeops,trilobita
2.holochroal has 1 cornea, schizochroal has fewer lenses each with its own cornea; this is schizochroal
3.proparian, gonatoparian, opisthoparian
4. Stromatolites; sediment trapped between biofilms of cyanobacteria
Community 2017-2019
WWP North 2019-2020
2nd Place Water Quality 2019
Rocks and Minerals, Ecology
Disease Detectives, Fossils, Game On, Water Quality
2019-2020:
Dynamic Planet, Fossils, Ornithology, Water Quality
Wiki Userpage
Constantly Late Sassy #142

User avatar
reninkidney
Member
Member
Posts: 50
Joined: April 6th, 2019, 3:29 pm
Division: B

Re: Fossils B/C

Post by reninkidney » December 28th, 2019, 7:51 pm

hmmm wrote:
December 26th, 2019, 3:39 pm
reninkidney wrote:
December 26th, 2019, 1:30 pm
1. Identify this specimen to the genus and class level:
Image

2. What is the difference between Holochroal and Schizochroal eyes? Which type of eyes does this specimen posses?

3. What are the 3 types of trilobite facial sutures?

4. Identify this specimen:
Image
What is this specimen made of?
1.eldredgeops,trilobita
2.holochroal has 1 cornea, schizochroal has fewer lenses each with its own cornea; this is schizochroal
3.proparian, gonatoparian, opisthoparian
4. Stromatolites; sediment trapped between biofilms of cyanobacteria
All right... Your turn!
2020 Events: A&P, Fossils, Heredity, XPD

User avatar
hmmm
Member
Member
Posts: 122
Joined: January 10th, 2019, 2:33 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Location: the universe

Re: Fossils B/C

Post by hmmm » January 4th, 2020, 2:14 pm

Image
1.ID the genus
2. Which lagerstatten is it found in, which state is it found in, what period are the fossils, and which type of lagerstatten is it?
Community 2017-2019
WWP North 2019-2020
2nd Place Water Quality 2019
Rocks and Minerals, Ecology
Disease Detectives, Fossils, Game On, Water Quality
2019-2020:
Dynamic Planet, Fossils, Ornithology, Water Quality
Wiki Userpage
Constantly Late Sassy #142

User avatar
Name
Member
Member
Posts: 377
Joined: January 21st, 2018, 4:41 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Location: Syosset

Re: Fossils B/C

Post by Name » January 4th, 2020, 3:09 pm

hmmm wrote:
January 4th, 2020, 2:14 pm
Image
1.ID the genus
2. Which lagerstatten is it found in, which state is it found in, what period are the fossils, and which type of lagerstatten is it?
1. coelophysis
2. ghost ranch, NM, Triassic, Konservat lagerstatten
Syosset HS '21
Favorite Past Events: Microbe, Invasive, Matsci, Fermi
Events!: Astro, Code, Fossils
Cornell/LISO/Duke/MIT/Regionals/Brown/SOUP/States
Astro: 2/4/2/10/2/2
Code: 9/1/2/1/1/1
Fossils: 16/13/6/9/2/3
1 fermi cornell, 10 orni LISO, 4 green gen regionals

User avatar
hmmm
Member
Member
Posts: 122
Joined: January 10th, 2019, 2:33 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Location: the universe

Re: Fossils B/C

Post by hmmm » January 4th, 2020, 5:23 pm

Name wrote:
January 4th, 2020, 3:09 pm
hmmm wrote:
January 4th, 2020, 2:14 pm
Image
1.ID the genus
2. Which lagerstatten is it found in, which state is it found in, what period are the fossils, and which type of lagerstatten is it?
1. coelophysis
2. ghost ranch, NM, Triassic, Konservat lagerstatten
Yep, your turn
Community 2017-2019
WWP North 2019-2020
2nd Place Water Quality 2019
Rocks and Minerals, Ecology
Disease Detectives, Fossils, Game On, Water Quality
2019-2020:
Dynamic Planet, Fossils, Ornithology, Water Quality
Wiki Userpage
Constantly Late Sassy #142

User avatar
Name
Member
Member
Posts: 377
Joined: January 21st, 2018, 4:41 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Location: Syosset

Re: Fossils B/C

Post by Name » January 4th, 2020, 5:41 pm

Image
1. ID this specimen
2. What geologic time period are they from?
3. T/F this specimen has a worldwide distribution.
4. With what other fossils are these found with? Why is this so?
Syosset HS '21
Favorite Past Events: Microbe, Invasive, Matsci, Fermi
Events!: Astro, Code, Fossils
Cornell/LISO/Duke/MIT/Regionals/Brown/SOUP/States
Astro: 2/4/2/10/2/2
Code: 9/1/2/1/1/1
Fossils: 16/13/6/9/2/3
1 fermi cornell, 10 orni LISO, 4 green gen regionals

User avatar
hmmm
Member
Member
Posts: 122
Joined: January 10th, 2019, 2:33 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Location: the universe

Re: Fossils B/C

Post by hmmm » January 4th, 2020, 6:59 pm

Name wrote:
January 4th, 2020, 5:41 pm
Image
1. ID this specimen
2. What geologic time period are they from?
3. T/F this specimen has a worldwide distribution.
4. With what other fossils are these found with? Why is this so?
1. Platyceras
2.Silurian - Late Triassic
3.T
4.crinoid, ate its feces
Community 2017-2019
WWP North 2019-2020
2nd Place Water Quality 2019
Rocks and Minerals, Ecology
Disease Detectives, Fossils, Game On, Water Quality
2019-2020:
Dynamic Planet, Fossils, Ornithology, Water Quality
Wiki Userpage
Constantly Late Sassy #142

User avatar
Name
Member
Member
Posts: 377
Joined: January 21st, 2018, 4:41 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Location: Syosset

Re: Fossils B/C

Post by Name » January 4th, 2020, 7:05 pm

hmmm wrote:
January 4th, 2020, 6:59 pm
Name wrote:
January 4th, 2020, 5:41 pm
Image
1. ID this specimen
2. What geologic time period are they from?
3. T/F this specimen has a worldwide distribution.
4. With what other fossils are these found with? Why is this so?
1. Platyceras
2.Silurian - Late Triassic
3.T
4.crinoid, ate its feces
yup, your turn
Syosset HS '21
Favorite Past Events: Microbe, Invasive, Matsci, Fermi
Events!: Astro, Code, Fossils
Cornell/LISO/Duke/MIT/Regionals/Brown/SOUP/States
Astro: 2/4/2/10/2/2
Code: 9/1/2/1/1/1
Fossils: 16/13/6/9/2/3
1 fermi cornell, 10 orni LISO, 4 green gen regionals

User avatar
hmmm
Member
Member
Posts: 122
Joined: January 10th, 2019, 2:33 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Location: the universe

Re: Fossils B/C

Post by hmmm » January 7th, 2020, 3:30 pm

Image
1. ID genus
2. Where and by who was this fish first discovered?
3. Why is the discovery of this fish significant?
4. What is one threat to this fish's survival?
Community 2017-2019
WWP North 2019-2020
2nd Place Water Quality 2019
Rocks and Minerals, Ecology
Disease Detectives, Fossils, Game On, Water Quality
2019-2020:
Dynamic Planet, Fossils, Ornithology, Water Quality
Wiki Userpage
Constantly Late Sassy #142

User avatar
reninkidney
Member
Member
Posts: 50
Joined: April 6th, 2019, 3:29 pm
Division: B

Re: Fossils B/C

Post by reninkidney » January 7th, 2020, 5:21 pm

hmmm wrote:
January 7th, 2020, 3:30 pm
Image
1. ID genus
2. Where and by who was this fish first discovered?
3. Why is the discovery of this fish significant?
4. What is one threat to this fish's survival?
1. Latimeria
2. South Africa, catch of Captain Hendrik Goosen and discovered by Marjorie Courtenay-Latimer
3. Previously thought to be extinct at the end of the Cretaceous and was 'rediscovered' without having evolved that much (living fossil).
4. Deep-sea fishing (trawling), which can accidently catch Coelacanths.
2020 Events: A&P, Fossils, Heredity, XPD

Post Reply

Return to “Question Marathons”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests