Dynamic Planet (Oceanography)

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
AlfWeg
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: MI

Re: Dynamic Planet (Oceanography)

Post by AlfWeg »

JoeyC wrote: September 6th, 2019, 6:49 am
2.) Why do cyclones seem to defy the Coriolis effect?
3.) How does India modify weather patterns (mainly in respect to equatorial cells)
NGL, I just want to know the answers to these....2)I just thought the didn’t
3)Other than monsoons, I’m not sure what India does as a location....

Welp, can’t wait for someone to answer them
Slauson'16 Pio'20 UM'24

AlfWeg's Userpage
JoeyC
State: TX

Post by JoeyC »

If no answers the questions in at least 24 hours I will post the answers and allow AlfWeg to ask the next question.
AlfWeg
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by AlfWeg »

JoeyC wrote: September 8th, 2019, 9:53 am If no answers the questions in at least 24 hours I will post the answers and allow AlfWeg to ask the next question.
Oof, then I'll just take a stab at them...

I love meteorology! Wish it was DivC:)
1) Okay, so I could write a ton for this question, because this is basically hadley cell diagram. the sun warms up stuff more as you get closer to the equator. So the warm air at the equator rises, and travels towards the poles. As it cools, it sinks and then returns back to the equator in a massive convection cell. Theoretically, there would be one cell on either side of the equator, but because of the Coriolis effect(not sure exactly why), there are three cells on each side of the equator. Hadley, Ferrel, Polar. They are, respectively, located 0-30, 30-60, 60-90. Ferrel isn't as much of a cell, and much of the air is just a transfer between Hadley&polar Cells, but there is still a cell there. The warm air rises at 0, 30, 60 and always travels to the poles. Cold air sinks at 30, 60, 90 and always travels towards the equator. There are alternating low&high pressure zones at the 30 degree increments The bottom part of each cell creates permanent winds(trade, westerlies, polar easterlies). Bunch of nuances & names for the whole systems...but i'm not gonna get into that.

2) The trade winds&other permanent winds have a much stronger affect on cyclones in the beginning, but when cyclones hit land, the winds weaken and the Coriolis affect takes over

3) Monsoons create a sort of cell over India. It's an extended Land/Sea Breeze scenario. Because of heating in April&May, the land gets hotter than ocean b/c lower spec heat. Creating low pressure over land, so air flows in from the higher pressure Ocean creating the monsoon effect, and the opposite happens in the dry season. I wasn't sure what you were getting at with this question. This is the only Meteorological concept I could think about that occurs naturally.
These users thanked the author AlfWeg for the post:
rotak (December 13th, 2020, 6:59 pm)
Slauson'16 Pio'20 UM'24

AlfWeg's Userpage
JoeyC
State: TX

Post by JoeyC »

Alright, so Question 1 is something that's pretty complicated (your answer should be theoretically right, but it's missing a few key factors), I recommend you check out this site :https://climate.ncsu.edu/edu/AtmosCirculation cause I can barely explain it myself. In case of confusion looking at the flow of the hot and cold air on the weather cell diagram.
2 Is because cyclones appear to spin counter-clockwise in the Northern hemisphere, seemingly in defiance of the Coriolis effect spinning it rightward. This is due to the fact that the Coriolis effect deflects the wind so it spins the other way: as depicted here
3. You were overwhelmingly right on this one, which is quite impressive given that you just used intuition on it.
Welp that didn't work.
petition the mods to fix hide faster! :lol:
(oh yeah, your turn Alf)
AlfWeg
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by AlfWeg »

Good Questions @JoeyC

NGL, I can't believe I didn't think about Q2 right

I'll try basic maths...

1. A basketball in water. Mass of 1 kg, Radius is 1 meter. let's say gravity is 10. What is the bouyant force, volume of water displaced by ball, Avg density of ball?

2. The salinity of 50 grams of water is 40 parts per thousand, how many ounces of pure water would need to evaporate to raise the salinity to 45 parts per thousand?

3. The magnetosphere is created by what layer of Earth? What feauture of the magnetosphere do we use to date oceanic crust?

4. What is an instrument that measures the direction and speed of ocean currents? How does it work(two words will suffice)?
Slauson'16 Pio'20 UM'24

AlfWeg's Userpage
SciolyMaster
Division: C
State: MO
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by SciolyMaster »

AlfWeg wrote: September 9th, 2019, 6:57 pm Good Questions @JoeyC

I'll try basic maths...

1. A basketball in water. Mass of 1 kg, Radius is 1 meter. let's say gravity is 10. What is the bouyant force, volume of water displaced by ball, Avg density of ball?

2. The salinity of 50 grams of water is 40 parts per thousand, how many ounces of pure water would need to evaporate to raise the salinity to 45 parts per thousand?

3. The magnetosphere is created by what layer of Earth? What feauture of the magnetosphere do we use to date oceanic crust?

4. What is an instrument that measures the direction and speed of ocean currents? How does it work(two words will suffice)?
1. buoyant force = 0.04 N displacement = 4 m^3 density = 0.2 kg/m^3 maybe try to have more than 1 sig fig next time?
2. 5.6 g or 0.20 oz of water.
3. ionosphere, periodic magnetic reversals (by measuring the orientation of magnetic minerals in the crust).
4. current meter, water movement orients the rotor in the direction of flow and the rotor spins in proportion to current speed.
Ladue Science Olympiad

2021 Events: Sounds, GeoMapping, DyPlan, Astro
Past Events: WaterQual, Ping Pong, Thermo, Hovercraft, Air Trajectory, Bottle Rocket

"It's [SciolyMaster] from Ladooooooo!"
AlfWeg
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by AlfWeg »

SciolyMaster wrote: September 12th, 2019, 6:04 pm
AlfWeg wrote: September 9th, 2019, 6:57 pm Good Questions @JoeyC

I'll try basic maths...

1. buoyant force = 0.04 N displacement = 4 m^3 density = 0.2 kg/m^3 maybe try to have more than 1 sig fig next time?
2. 5.6 g or 0.20 oz of water.
3. ionosphere, periodic magnetic reversals (by measuring the orientation of magnetic minerals in the crust).
4. current meter, water movement orients the rotor in the direction of flow and the rotor spins in proportion to current speed.
Cool, lol wasn't thinking about sigfigs at all. 1) bouyant Force is equal to the force of gravity which is 1kg * gravity = 10Newtons. Forrmula for volume bouyant Force = Volume*Gravity*density which gives 1/1000 m^3 or . Density is correct.
2) Correct, I believe
3) Outer Core has electric currents which generate the Magnetosphere. Other part is correct
4) I was thinking ADCP, Doppler Shift, but yeah ig that works
Your Turn!
Slauson'16 Pio'20 UM'24

AlfWeg's Userpage
SciolyMaster
State: MO

Post by SciolyMaster »

1. What is a guyot? How does one form?

2. Describe the three stages of atoll formation. Who first proposed this theory?

3. If a deep-water wave with a wavelength of 12 m is moving at a speed of 50 m/s in 2500 m deep water, what is its period?

4. For the wave in question 3, what is the maximum amplitude it can have before it breaks, assuming it remains in deep water?
Ladue Science Olympiad

2021 Events: Sounds, GeoMapping, DyPlan, Astro
Past Events: WaterQual, Ping Pong, Thermo, Hovercraft, Air Trajectory, Bottle Rocket

"It's [SciolyMaster] from Ladooooooo!"
Giantpants
State: NY

Post by Giantpants »

SciolyMaster wrote: September 13th, 2019, 9:08 am 1. What is a guyot? How does one form?

2. Describe the three stages of atoll formation. Who first proposed this theory?

3. If a deep-water wave with a wavelength of 12 m is moving at a speed of 50 m/s in 2500 m deep water, what is its period?

4. For the wave in question 3, what is the maximum amplitude it can have before it breaks, assuming it remains in deep water?
1. It’s like a flattopped seamount, which formed by erosion of a seamount (formed by volcanism) to have a flat top
2. Atolls are formed by
A. Volcanism forming an island
B. Erosion of the island and formation of a fringing reef, and it lowers in elevation
C. Complete submersion and the island is now a lagoon, oh and also formation of a barrier reef
I feel like I had on my old notes that Darwin came up with it lol
3. 2.77 s, I used the formula wavelength = (g*T^2)/2pi, so if I messed up somewhere lmk lol
4. I’m not so sure abt this one, wouldn’t it just break when it touched the bottom, so like, 2500 m?
Worth a shot lol
Haverford College, Class of 2024!
Former President, Kellenberg, 2018-2020
Bro. Joseph Fox, 2014-2017

Events I'm Writing in 2023: Sounds of Music, Rocks and Minerals
Events I've Written in Years Past: Geologic Mapping, Remote Sensing
Giantpants's Userpage
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

Generally, people ask one question or questions that relate to each other :P

Although I'm not hating this format either.

Return to “2020 Question Marathons”