Anatomy and Physiology B/C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
donutsandcupcakes

Re: Anatomy and Physiology B/C

Post by donutsandcupcakes »

jxxu20 wrote: January 1st, 2020, 4:48 pm 1. Joints can either be fibrous, cartilaginous, or synovial. Fibrous -- syndesmosis (ex: b/t tibia-fibula), suture (in the cranium), or gomphosis (attaching teeth to mandible). Cartilaginous -- synchondrosis (b/t rib & sternum) or symphysis (pubic symphysis). Synovial -- ball and socket (shoulder), hinge (elbow), pivot (atlas-axis), condyloid (metacarpophalangeal joint), saddle (thumb joint), or plane/gliding (wrists/ankles).

2. Ankylosing spondylitis

3. True
1. I was looking for only types of synovial joints, and I understand that I didn't word it properly, so sorry abt that. But u gave me synovial plus other joints so good job, ur correct.
2. Correct
3. Correct
Your Turn
jxxu20
Division: C
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by jxxu20 »

1a. Rocky the rock climber suffered a severe injury to his arm after a boulder hit it from above (ahh! Flying boulders!). In the hospital, doctors found that his urine was brownish-red in color. Moreover, after performing a blood test, high K+ concentrations were found. ECGs taken showed cardiac irregularities. What is Rocky's most likely diagnosis?
1b. Why is Rocky's urine colored the way it is?
1c. What steps do the doctors take to solve this issue? What signs in Rocky's body must they pay attention to?
(Bonus: What is another name for this condition?)

2a. What is the function of a costamere?
2b. The integrin-vinculin-talin complex attaches to filament C of what structure in the sarcomere?
2c. A hypothetical scenario: Scientists recently discovered a new enzyme, alpha-sarcoglycanase, that denatures alpha-sarcoglycan proteins. What component of the costamere is affected, and what are potential consequences of denaturation (from a cellular to gross anatomical level)?

3a. How does the motor end plate differ structurally when compared to the rest of a muscle fiber?
3b. What is the relationship between EPP, MEPP, and acetylcholine?
3c. Briefly describe the structure of ACh receptors on the motor end plate.
"Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood." -- George Orwell, 1984

Events 2019: A&P, Heredity, Picture This, P&P
Events 2020: A&P, Astro, DG, Geo Mapping
Locoholic
State: VA

Post by Locoholic »

jxxu20 wrote: January 3rd, 2020, 3:25 pm 1a. Rocky the rock climber suffered a severe injury to his arm after a boulder hit it from above (ahh! Flying boulders!). In the hospital, doctors found that his urine was brownish-red in color. Moreover, after performing a blood test, high K+ concentrations were found. ECGs taken showed cardiac irregularities. What is Rocky's most likely diagnosis?
1c. What steps do the doctors take to solve this issue? What signs in Rocky's body must they pay attention to?

2a. What is the function of a costamere?
2b. The integrin-vinculin-talin complex attaches to filament C of what structure in the sarcomere?
2c. A hypothetical scenario: Scientists recently discovered a new enzyme, alpha-sarcoglycanase, that denatures alpha-sarcoglycan proteins. What component of the costamere is affected, and what are potential consequences of denaturation (from a cellular to gross anatomical level)?

3a. How does the motor end plate differ structurally when compared to the rest of a muscle fiber?
3b. What is the relationship between EPP, MEPP, and acetylcholine?
3c. Briefly describe the structure of ACh receptors on the motor end plate.
1a. Uhhhhh, herniated disc??? (I know it's in the spine, but I can't really think of any other diagnosis) 1b. Excretion of blood. 1c. Slipped disc. (Again, not sure) 2a. Connects sarcomere to sarcolemma & extracellular matrix. 2b. Z-disc? 2c. Not sure, maybe it affects filament C? I would think that this will cause similar symptoms to Duchenne Dystrophy. Sarcomeres will move independently of the sarcolemma, causing tears in the membrane. The torn membrane admits Ca2+ and activates proteases which degrade myosin and actin, replacing it with scar tissue and blocking blood circulation. Muscles shorten as they atrophy. Eventually, one with this condition would be wheelchair-dependent. 3a. It has a bunch of synaptic clefts to admit ACh. 3b. Acetylcholine is a neurotransmitter that binds to receptors on the sarcolemma, opening sodium ion channels which depolarize the muscle fiber through End Plate Potentials (Larger voltages which depolarize) and Miniature End Plate Potentials (Smaller voltages accounting for just one synaptic vesicle). 3c. It's in many "ridges" in the NMJ, and I'm pretty sure they are ligand-gated ion channels. I probably got all of these wrong, but this thread needs to keep going :)

Edit: I realized I answered the bonus instead of 1c. Here's 1c: If the pain is mild, use NSAIDs. If spinal nerve inflammation doesn't decrease, surgery may be required.
Anatomy, Crime Busters, Meteo, RFTS

NCS/L. Braddock/Rustin/Harvard/Regionals/States/Nats (nvm RIP)

Anatomy :( - 5/1/8/1/3/?
Crime Busters - 2/1/1/1/1/?
Meteo - 1/2/2/1/1/?
RFTS - 1/1/2/1/1/?
bp31000
State: TN

Post by bp31000 »

jxxu20 wrote: January 3rd, 2020, 3:25 pm
1a. Rocky the rock climber suffered a severe injury to his arm after a boulder hit it from above (ahh!  Flying boulders!).  In the hospital, doctors found that his urine was brownish-red in color.  Moreover, after performing a blood test, high K+ concentrations were found.  ECGs taken showed cardiac irregularities.  What is Rocky's most likely diagnosis?
1c. What steps do the doctors take to solve this issue?  What signs in Rocky's body must they pay attention to?
1a. rocky has crush injury
1b. myoglobin in urine, aka myoglobinuria
1c. i guess the treatment is lots of fluid to run it out of the body, and in severe cases dialysis. doctors need to watch heart rate problems due to potassium and kidney - urine output due to myoglobin.
bonus: other name: rhabdomyolysis
State & Regional 2019 events B
<3 Solar system, Water Quality, Anatomy and Physiology- 1st State & Regional <3
:roll: Heredity 4th state, 2nd regional :roll:
sciencenerd123
Has thanked: 0

Post by sciencenerd123 »

Is anyone going to ask another question? The chat seems to be pretty inactive...
theprimegrinder
Division: B

Post by theprimegrinder »

I guess I'll do it......

1. Please describe an aponeurosis

2. What are BCAA's?

3. What is the all-or-none principle?

4. What is the origin of the Semitendinosus?
Locoholic

Post by Locoholic »

theprimegrinder wrote: February 6th, 2020, 6:57 pm I guess I'll do it......

1. Please describe an aponeurosis

2. What are BCAA's?

3. What is the all-or-none principle?

4. What is the origin of the Semitendinosus?
1. I wouldn't want to, but you said please so... It's a broad, flat tendon for flat muscles. 2. Branched Chain Amino Acids, they basically are supplements that boost muscle growth and stuff. 3. Ischial Tuberosity.

Meteo - 1/2/2/1/1/?
RFTS - 1/1/2/1/1/?
theprimegrinder

All correct, but you didn't describe the all or none principle
Locoholic

Post by Locoholic »

theprimegrinder wrote: February 7th, 2020, 5:31 pm All correct, but you didn't describe the all or none principle
Oops, my bad. The all or none principle basically says that if the stimulus is above the threshold, then the muscle will respond. If below the threshold, it won't.

Meteo - 1/2/2/1/1/?
RFTS - 1/1/2/1/1/?
theprimegrinder

Yup! Your turn!

Return to “2020 Question Marathons”