Water Quality B/C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
User avatar
SilverBreeze
Member
Member
Posts: 239
Joined: November 28th, 2019, 3:42 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Location: Pretend hugging Umaroth because social distancing
Has thanked: 81 times
Been thanked: 127 times

Water Quality B/C

Post by SilverBreeze » September 7th, 2020, 7:34 pm

Let's start off!

1. When river flow is far stronger than tidal forces, what type of estuary is formed?
2. What organism on the list is known for pharyngeal jaws?
3. What is blast fishing, and why is it harmful?
Troy SciOly 2019 - now
Suzanne SciOly 2016 - 2019
Please don’t replay rules next year.
Events this season: Water Quality, Forensics, Ornithology, (some experience in DP)

User avatar
azboy1910
Member
Member
Posts: 59
Joined: November 3rd, 2018, 2:19 pm
Division: B
State: NC
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Location: Hopefully somewhere being productive for once.
Has thanked: 56 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Water Quality B/C

Post by azboy1910 » September 8th, 2020, 8:55 pm

1. The process by which atmospheric nitrogen is converted to artificial fertilizer is called ____________.
2. What organisms carry out nitrogen fixation in the ocean?
3. What is the largest pool of nitrogen in the nitrogen cycle?
Last edited by azboy1910 on September 13th, 2020, 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jay M. Robinson Middle School '18-now
Email: azboy1910@gmail.com

azboy1910's Userpage

User avatar
AstroClarinet
Member
Member
Posts: 13
Joined: August 6th, 2020, 9:56 am
Division: C
Location: Virtual and in-person school
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Water Quality B/C

Post by AstroClarinet » September 9th, 2020, 5:35 am

Uh I think there's already a water quality question marathon, maybe you could answer the questions over there and then repost this
2019-2021 events: Astronomy, Designer Genes, Water Quality
1st place at state in Solar System B (2018) and Ecology B (2017)
 Solar System, Boomilever, Density Lab, Ecology, Optics, Towers, Microbe Mission, Mission Possible
AstroClarinet's Userpage

User avatar
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 2189
Joined: January 5th, 2014, 3:12 pm
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Location: Seattle, WA
Has thanked: 114 times
Been thanked: 321 times
Contact:

Re: Water Quality B/C

Post by bernard » September 9th, 2020, 6:10 am

Merged duplicate topics.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there."

User avatar
SciolyMaster
Member
Member
Posts: 48
Joined: May 23rd, 2017, 4:18 pm
Division: C
State: MO
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Location: Observable Universe
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Water Quality B/C

Post by SciolyMaster » September 11th, 2020, 7:58 pm

SilverBreeze wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 7:34 pm
Let's start off!

1. When river flow is far stronger than tidal forces, what type of estuary is formed?
2. What organism on the list is known for pharyngeal jaws?
3. What is blast fishing, and why is it harmful?
1. salt-wedge estuary
2. moray eel
3. blast fishing is the use of explosives to stun fish, making them easier to catch; it's harmful because it destroys coral reef habitats, which take an extremely long time to regrow
Ladue Science Olympiad

2021 Events: Sounds, GeoMapping, DyPlan, WaterQual, Astro, Ping Pong (??)
Prior Events: Thermo, Hovercraft, Air Trajectory, Bottle Rocket

"It's [SciolyMaster] from Ladooooooo!"

User avatar
SciolyMaster
Member
Member
Posts: 48
Joined: May 23rd, 2017, 4:18 pm
Division: C
State: MO
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Location: Observable Universe
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Water Quality B/C

Post by SciolyMaster » September 11th, 2020, 7:59 pm

azboy1910 wrote:
September 8th, 2020, 8:55 pm
Ok, let's start this marathon!

1. The process by which atmospheric nitrogen is converted to artificial fertilizer is called ____________.
2. What organisms carry out nitrogen fixation in the ocean?
3. What is the largest pool of nitrogen in the nitrogen cycle?
1. Haber–Bosch process
2. cyanobacteria
3. atmosphere
Ladue Science Olympiad

2021 Events: Sounds, GeoMapping, DyPlan, WaterQual, Astro, Ping Pong (??)
Prior Events: Thermo, Hovercraft, Air Trajectory, Bottle Rocket

"It's [SciolyMaster] from Ladooooooo!"

User avatar
azboy1910
Member
Member
Posts: 59
Joined: November 3rd, 2018, 2:19 pm
Division: B
State: NC
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Location: Hopefully somewhere being productive for once.
Has thanked: 56 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: Water Quality B/C

Post by azboy1910 » September 11th, 2020, 8:13 pm

SciolyMaster wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 7:59 pm
azboy1910 wrote:
September 8th, 2020, 8:55 pm
Ok, let's start this marathon!

1. The process by which atmospheric nitrogen is converted to artificial fertilizer is called ____________.
2. What organisms carry out nitrogen fixation in the ocean?
3. What is the largest pool of nitrogen in the nitrogen cycle?
1. Haber–Bosch process
2. cyanobacteria
3. atmosphere
1. Correct
2. Correct
3. Correct

I apologize if the two sets of questions was confusing at all, as I had made a duplicate marathon for Water Quality on accident, which was merged with the current one.
Jay M. Robinson Middle School '18-now
Email: azboy1910@gmail.com

azboy1910's Userpage

User avatar
SciolyMaster
Member
Member
Posts: 48
Joined: May 23rd, 2017, 4:18 pm
Division: C
State: MO
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Location: Observable Universe
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Water Quality B/C

Post by SciolyMaster » September 11th, 2020, 8:41 pm

Alright, I guess I'll continue:

1. What organism on the species list protects itself using toxins known as asterosaponins?
2. Most "red tides" are caused by members of what group of algae?
3. The feeding mechanism of parrotfish is an important contributor to what general process?
Ladue Science Olympiad

2021 Events: Sounds, GeoMapping, DyPlan, WaterQual, Astro, Ping Pong (??)
Prior Events: Thermo, Hovercraft, Air Trajectory, Bottle Rocket

"It's [SciolyMaster] from Ladooooooo!"

User avatar
SilverBreeze
Member
Member
Posts: 239
Joined: November 28th, 2019, 3:42 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Location: Pretend hugging Umaroth because social distancing
Has thanked: 81 times
Been thanked: 127 times

Re: Water Quality B/C

Post by SilverBreeze » September 12th, 2020, 1:24 am

SciolyMaster wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 7:58 pm
SilverBreeze wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 7:34 pm
Let's start off!

1. When river flow is far stronger than tidal forces, what type of estuary is formed?
2. What organism on the list is known for pharyngeal jaws?
3. What is blast fishing, and why is it harmful?
1. salt-wedge estuary
2. moray eel
3. blast fishing is the use of explosives to stun fish, making them easier to catch; it's harmful because it destroys coral reef habitats, which take an extremely long time to regrow
All correct!
Troy SciOly 2019 - now
Suzanne SciOly 2016 - 2019
Please don’t replay rules next year.
Events this season: Water Quality, Forensics, Ornithology, (some experience in DP)

User avatar
Krish2007
Member
Member
Posts: 25
Joined: September 21st, 2019, 3:05 pm
Division: B
State: TX
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Location: Observing the plants in my mom's garden
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Water Quality B/C

Post by Krish2007 » September 17th, 2020, 11:41 am

SciolyMaster wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 8:41 pm
Alright, I guess I'll continue:

1. What organism on the species list protects itself using toxins known as asterosaponins?
2. Most "red tides" are caused by members of what group of algae?
3. The feeding mechanism of parrotfish is an important contributor to what general process?
1) Crown of Thorns Starfish
2) Rhodophyta (red algae)?
3) Coral reef growth by eating seaweed on rocks.

I apologize in advance if these answers are all completely wrong, I’m still pretty new to the event, and haven't done that much on it.
Beckendorff Junior High '21
2019-2020 events: Ornithology, Game On, Mission Possible, Circuit Lab
Game On is the best event!

Post Reply

Return to “Question Marathons”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests