Crime Busters B

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
EllaYu
Division: B
State: NY
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 0

Crime Busters

Post by EllaYu »

1. When Hydrogen Peroxide fizzes what gas is being produced?
2. Aluminium will always react slower in acid than other metals. Why does that happen?
3. Name the four stages of the Hair growth cycle.
4. What are the three layers of hair called.
aakoala
Division: C
State: MI
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Crime Busters

Post by aakoala »

EllaYu wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 8:41 am 1. When Hydrogen Peroxide fizzes what gas is being produced?
2. Aluminium will always react slower in acid than other metals. Why does that happen?
Hi!
1. I believe that it breaks down into water and oxygen, so oxygen gas.
2. Aluminum has an oxide layer. (Al2O3)
3. Anagen, catagen, telogen, exogen
4. Cuticle, cortex, medulla
These are my question from before to continue the marathon.
1. Compare and contrast HDPE and LDPE
2. A soil sample is found to be 35% clay, 30% silt, and 35% sand. Determine the type of soil.
3. Give 3 examples of minutiae
4. What does PCR stand for? What are its 3 steps?
Userpage
22-23 Events:
Cell Biology
Dynamic Planet
Forensics
Remote Sensing
azboy1910
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by azboy1910 »

aakoala wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 8:58 am
EllaYu wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 8:41 am 1. When Hydrogen Peroxide fizzes what gas is being produced?
Hi!
2. A soil sample is found to be 35% clay, 30% silt, and 35% sand. Determine the type of soil.
Probably super rusty, but I'll answer.
1. The structure of LDPE is more branched than HDPE. LDPE has a lower melting point than HDPE. HDPE burns fast, while LDPE burns slowly in a flame. LDPE is more flexible than HDPE. 
2. Clay loam soil 
3. Bifurcation, ridge ending, delta 
4. PCR stands for polymerase chain reaction. Its three steps include denaturation, annealing, and extension.
aakoala

Post by aakoala »

azboy1910 wrote: April 4th, 2021, 10:20 am
Hi!
1. The structure of LDPE is more branched than HDPE. LDPE has a lower melting point than HDPE. HDPE burns fast, while LDPE burns slowly in a flame. LDPE is more flexible than HDPE. 
2. Clay loam soil 
4. PCR stands for polymerase chain reaction. Its three steps include denaturation, annealing, and extension.
All correct!

Some more...
1. Write the chemical equation for when baking soda fizzes in hydrochloric acid.
2. This part of the hair lets you determine if the hair fell out of someone when they were dead or alive (spooky right?)
3. Give 3 uses of C2H3NaO2.
4. You may know that salt has a cubic structure, but why?
Userpage
22-23 Events:
Cell Biology
Dynamic Planet
Forensics
Remote Sensing
azboy1910
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by azboy1910 »

aakoala wrote: April 4th, 2021, 10:27 am

Hi!
2. Clay loam soil 
All correct!

Some more...
1. Write the chemical equation for when baking soda fizzes in hydrochloric acid.
2. This part of the hair lets you determine if the hair fell out of someone when they were dead or alive (spooky right?)
1. NaHCO3 + HCl —> NaCl + H2O + CO2
2. follicle
3. hand warmers, flavoring industry, pickling
4. Salt molecules arrange themselves in an atomic lattice that’s cubic-shaped. This gives salt crystals their cubic-shape.

Thanks for helping me learn something new today! :) 
Last edited by azboy1910 on April 4th, 2021, 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aakoala

Post by aakoala »

azboy1910 wrote: April 4th, 2021, 2:40 pm

2. Clay loam soil 
All correct!

Some more...
2. follicle
4. Salt molecules arrange themselves in an atomic lattice that’s cubic-shaped. This gives salt crystals their cubic-shape.

Hi! All of your answers are correct, but to be more specific, #2 is the post mortem root band.
Here's another set of questions:
1. Name 3 plastics the float in H2O
2. Identify 2 main differences between human and dog hair.
3. What type of reaction occurs when magnesium fizzes in HCl? What is being produced?
4. Lemon juice has a ____ concentration of hydronium ions compared to ammonia. By how much? (How many times more or less?)

I think a typical question marathon has you answer the questions and add a new set of questions if I'm not confused.
Userpage
22-23 Events:
Cell Biology
Dynamic Planet
Forensics
Remote Sensing
azboy1910
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by azboy1910 »

aakoala wrote: April 7th, 2021, 10:54 am
All correct!

Some more...
2. follicle

Hi! All of your answers are correct, but to be more specific, #2 is the post mortem root band.
3. What type of reaction occurs when magnesium fizzes in HCl? What is being produced?
4. Lemon juice has a ____ concentration of hydronium ions compared to ammonia. By how much? (How many times more or less?)

I think a typical question marathon has you answer the questions and add a new set of questions if I'm not confused.
1. PP, LDPE, HDPE 
2. Dog hair has a higher medullary index than human hair. The medulla of dog hair is also usually continuous whereas the medulla of human hair is usually amorphous or absent.
3. An exothermic reaction occurs. Magnesium chloride and hydrogen gas are produced from the reaction. 
4. higher; about 100,000,000 higher 

Sorry, I kept forgetting to ask questions before. Anyway,
1. Which plastic is used best in construction?
2. List 3 different ways you can distinguish PVC from the rest of the plastics on the rules.
3. What is the difference between an ulnar and radial loop?
4. Which of the following soils is most acidic?
  • Loam
  • Sand
  • Peat
  • Clay
aakoala

Post by aakoala »

azboy1910 wrote: April 8th, 2021, 2:41 pm
aakoala wrote: April 7th, 2021, 10:54 am
2. follicle

1. PP, LDPE, HDPE 
2. Dog hair has a higher medullary index than human hair. The medulla of dog hair is also usually continuous whereas the medulla of human hair is usually amorphous or absent.
3. An exothermic reaction occurs. Magnesium chloride and hydrogen gas are produced from the reaction. 
4. higher; about 100,000,000 higher 

Sorry, I kept forgetting to ask questions before. Anyway,
1. Which plastic is used best in construction?
2. List 3 different ways you can distinguish PVC from the rest of the plastics on the rules.
3. What is the difference between an ulnar and radial loop?
4. Which of the following soils is most acidic?
  • Loam
  • Sand
  • Peat
  • Clay
All correct!
1. PVC
2. First, PVC is very dense (meaning it will sink in everything) Second, PVC has green spurts when it burns, unlike every other plastic. Third, when it burns, it has a very acrid smell and produces a lot of bad smelling smoke.
3. An ulnar loop originates from the ulnar bone where a radial loop originates from the radial bone.
4. Peat
New set of questions!

1. A blood sample was found at a crime scene. It agglutinates in Anti-B and Anti-D. What is the blood type?
2. Identify the difference between a purine and a pyrimidine, and classify the nitrogenous bases as one or the other.
3. This type of fingerprinting method is also called superglue fuming.
4. Which crime busters powder can be determined solely by pH? What does pH stand for?
Userpage
22-23 Events:
Cell Biology
Dynamic Planet
Forensics
Remote Sensing
tigerjade003
Division: B
State: CA
Been thanked: 0

Re: Crime Busters B

Post by tigerjade003 »

Seems like I am very late for the party(I won't mind if this does not continue).
1. Blood Type B Positive
2. Purine is basically made up of two-carbon nitrogen rings. Pyrimidine is the same but made up of one-carbon nitrogen rings. Adenine and Guanine are Purine, while Cytosine and Thymine are Pyrimidine
3. Cyanoacrylate Fuming. Most likely known as superglue fuming as it uses superglue.
4. Vitamin C can be identified just by pH. pH stands for "power of Hydrogen"
New Questions:
1. Hair from which part of the body may have a double Medulla?
2. Which Blood Type is Universal Donor and which blood type is the universal receiver(if the answer was A- then please answer A- not A)?
3. Which two lawyers started the innocence project?
4. Approximately what percentage of people have Arch fingerprints, approximately what percentage have loop fingerprints, and what approximately percentage have whorl fingerprints?
Last edited by tigerjade003 on July 1st, 2021, 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aakoala

Re: Crime Busters B

Post by aakoala »

tigerjade003 wrote: July 1st, 2021, 5:22 pm Seems like I am very late for the party(I won't mind if this does not continue).
1. Blood Type B Positive
2. Purine is basically made up of two-carbon nitrogen rings. Pyrimidine is the same but made up of one-carbon nitrogen rings. Adenine and Guanine are Purine, while Cytosine and Thymine are Pyrimidine
3. Cyanoacrylate Fuming. Most likely known as superglue fuming as it uses superglue.
4. Vitamin C can be identified just by pH. pH stands for "power of Hydrogen"
New Questions:
1. Hair from which part of the body may have a double Medulla?
2. Which Blood Type is Universal Donor and which blood type is the universal receiver(if the answer was A- then please answer A- not A)?
3. Which two lawyers started the innocence project?
4. Approximately what percentage of people have Arch fingerprints, approximately what percentage have loop fingerprints, and what approximately percentage have whorl fingerprints?
1. I wasn't sure, but after a quick google search, it appears that beard hair commonly has a double medulla.
2. O- (O negative) blood is the universal donor, where AB+ (AB positive) is the universal recipient. (O- has no antigens, where AB+ has every antigen)
3. Again, I wasn't sure, but Peter Neufeld and Barry Scheck started the Innocence Project. The innocence project is a project for exonerating wrongly convicted people by using DNA testing.
4. 5% of fingerprints are arches, 65% of fingerprints are loops, and 30% of fingerprints are whorls. The wording of this question was off; an individual person may have different types of fingerprints. To clarify, the question should've asked about total fingerprints.

Thanks tigerjade for helping me learn new things! I have some questions to continue the marathon!
1. Give 3 powders that can each be identified by one attribute, name the attributes, and explains what happens for each case.
2. If a blood spatter was traveling at 3 meters per second, what velocity is it?
3. What causes HCl to produce fizzing in Alka-Seltzer, Baking Soda, and Calcium Carbonate?
4. Which minutiae looks like a ridge splitting into two?
Userpage
22-23 Events:
Cell Biology
Dynamic Planet
Forensics
Remote Sensing

Return to “2021 Question Marathons”