Disease Detectives B/C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
Reckless57
Member
Member
Posts: 20
Joined: April 21st, 2019, 4:03 pm
Division: C
State: NC
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by Reckless57 » October 17th, 2020, 2:40 pm

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 1:37 pm
At a party of 100 people, 20 people later became ill. 15 of the 100 people ate the pork, 8 of which matched the case definition for the illness. What is the odds ratio for the pork? Interpret your result.
The odds ratio for the pork is 6.95, which indicates that those who ate the pork are 6.95 times more likely to contract the illness that those who did not eat the pork. This leads us to believe that pork is likely the cause of illness, although we cannot be sure until lab verification.
2021 Events: TBD

2020 Events:
Protein Modeling: 1st National Ready regionals
WQ: 3rd National Ready regionals

2019 Events: (Div B)
Boom: 4th Regionals
Heredity: 3rd States
WIDI: 3rd Regionals
DD: 1st States :)
EXP Design: 2nd States

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1594
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 7:42 am
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » October 17th, 2020, 3:38 pm

Reckless57 wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 2:40 pm
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 1:37 pm
At a party of 100 people, 20 people later became ill. 15 of the 100 people ate the pork, 8 of which matched the case definition for the illness. What is the odds ratio for the pork? Interpret your result.
The odds ratio for the pork is 6.95, which indicates that those who ate the pork are 6.95 times more likely to contract the illness that those who did not eat the pork. This leads us to believe that pork is likely the cause of illness, although we cannot be sure until lab verification.
we cannot conclude that those who ate the pork are 6.95 times more likely to contract the illness based on the odds ratio. We can only conclude that there is a high degree of association between the pork and the illness. Any assessment of the risks between the two groups (or cohorts, if you prefer) would require a relative risk calculation.
Your turn!

stlcards422
Member
Member
Posts: 18
Joined: April 14th, 2020, 3:56 pm
Division: B
State: MD
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by stlcards422 » January 20th, 2021, 12:07 pm

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 1:37 pm
At a party of 100 people, 20 people later became ill. 15 of the 100 people ate the pork, 8 of which matched the case definition for the illness. What is the odds ratio for the pork? Interpret your result.
sorry the hide didn't work so I'm removing the answer
Last edited by stlcards422 on January 20th, 2021, 12:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

stlcards422
Member
Member
Posts: 18
Joined: April 14th, 2020, 3:56 pm
Division: B
State: MD
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by stlcards422 » January 20th, 2021, 12:11 pm

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 1:37 pm
At a party of 100 people, 20 people later became ill. 15 of the 100 people ate the pork, 8 of which matched the case definition for the illness. What is the odds ratio for the pork? Interpret your result.
6.95?  The people who ate the pork is more likely than not to get the illness

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1594
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 7:42 am
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » February 1st, 2021, 9:33 am

stlcards422 wrote:
January 20th, 2021, 12:11 pm
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 1:37 pm
At a party of 100 people, 20 people later became ill. 15 of the 100 people ate the pork, 8 of which matched the case definition for the illness. What is the odds ratio for the pork? Interpret your result.
6.95?  The people who ate the pork is more likely than not to get the illness
Yep! You can ask a question.

stlcards422
Member
Member
Posts: 18
Joined: April 14th, 2020, 3:56 pm
Division: B
State: MD
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by stlcards422 » February 1st, 2021, 3:49 pm

What is the diffrence between Active/Passive surveillence?
WHat is the difference between Outbreak, Epidemic and Pandemic?
What type of study is Relative Risk?

User avatar
Tailsfan101
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
Posts: 813
Joined: April 14th, 2017, 4:33 pm
Division: C
State: ID
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 119 times
Been thanked: 106 times
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by Tailsfan101 » February 3rd, 2021, 9:39 am

stlcards422 wrote:
February 1st, 2021, 3:49 pm
What is the diffrence between Active/Passive surveillence?
WHat is the difference between Outbreak, Epidemic and Pandemic?
What type of study is Relative Risk?
Active surveillance is when health officials are actively collecting data themselves, whereas in passive surveillance they use the data that is reported to them.
An outbreak is simply more cases than expected in an area over a given time period. An epidemic is an outbreak that affects a large number of people over a wide geographic area, and a pandemic is a large-scale epidemic that affects a large proportion of the population over a very wide geographic area (i.e. several countries or continents).
Relative risk is used in a cohort study.
2016-2021 Treasure Valley Homeschool, 2020-2021 Div C Captain
2021 events: Disease Detectives, Designer Genes, Geologic Mapping, Write It Do It, Codebusters, Anatomy and Physiology

Assassinator for games 118: New Life and 136: A SciOly Pandemic
Selected Assassinators for games 121 and 148

Iamgoing2Mars2
Member
Member
Posts: 3
Joined: January 27th, 2021, 12:34 pm
Division: B
State: CO
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by Iamgoing2Mars2 » February 4th, 2021, 10:39 am

7 or 6.95

stlcards422
Member
Member
Posts: 18
Joined: April 14th, 2020, 3:56 pm
Division: B
State: MD
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by stlcards422 » February 9th, 2021, 10:49 am

Tailsfan101 wrote:
February 3rd, 2021, 9:39 am
stlcards422 wrote:
February 1st, 2021, 3:49 pm
What is the diffrence between Active/Passive surveillence?
WHat is the difference between Outbreak, Epidemic and Pandemic?
What type of study is Relative Risk?
Active surveillance is when health officials are actively collecting data themselves, whereas in passive surveillance they use the data that is reported to them.
An outbreak is simply more cases than expected in an area over a given time period. An epidemic is an outbreak that affects a large number of people over a wide geographic area, and a pandemic is a large-scale epidemic that affects a large proportion of the population over a very wide geographic area (i.e. several countries or continents).
Relative risk is used in a cohort study.
Good

User avatar
Tailsfan101
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
Posts: 813
Joined: April 14th, 2017, 4:33 pm
Division: C
State: ID
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 119 times
Been thanked: 106 times
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by Tailsfan101 » February 9th, 2021, 12:54 pm

83 people go to a party. A few days after the party, 35 of the attendees develop Salmonella. Of the 35 ill, 29 ate the hors d'oeuvres, and 11 of the 48 well ate the hors d'oeuvres.
1. Calculate the relative risk for this scenario.
2. Interpret the answer for #1.
2016-2021 Treasure Valley Homeschool, 2020-2021 Div C Captain
2021 events: Disease Detectives, Designer Genes, Geologic Mapping, Write It Do It, Codebusters, Anatomy and Physiology

Assassinator for games 118: New Life and 136: A SciOly Pandemic
Selected Assassinators for games 121 and 148

Post Reply

Return to “Question Marathons”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest