Disease Detectives B/C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
Pickles
Division: B
State: NY
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by Pickles »

1. What does R0 stand for? Define R0.
2. If a disease has an R0 of 3, what is the approximate percent of a population that needs to be vaccinated to obtain herd immunity?
3. If public health officials have estimated 80-90% of the population needs to be vaccinated in order to obtain herd immunity, what is the disease’s range of possible R0’s?
1. RO stands for reproduction number and it is the number of people infected from one infected person.
2. 66.6%
3. Possible RO’s: 5-10
[/quote]

All correct, your turn!
[/quote]

1. What does Relative Risk find compared to Odds Ratio?
2. When describing a test, what is the difference between Sensitivity and Specificity
3. Describe the levels of prevention (primary, secondary, tertiary)
vye904
Division: C

Post by vye904 »

Pickles wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 3:07 pm 1. What does Relative Risk find compared to Odds Ratio?
2. When describing a test, what is the difference between Sensitivity and Specificity
1. Relative Risk measures the association between exposure and outcome using the risk of outcome in 2 groups while Odds Ratio measures the odds of the outcome in 2 groups.
2. Sensitivity: The chance of testing positive if you have the disease. Specificity: The chance of testing negative if you do not have the disease.
3. Primary: Reducing risk factors through whole populations, select groups, or healthy individuals. Secondary: Early detection during the asymptomatic stage. Tertiary: Treatment to stop the progression of the disease during the symptomatic stage.
Pickles
Division: B
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Pickles »

1. What does Relative Risk find compared to Odds Ratio?
[/quote]
1. Relative Risk measures the association between exposure and outcome using the risk of outcome in 2 groups while Odds Ratio measures the odds of the outcome in 2 groups.
2. Sensitivity: The chance of testing positive if you have the disease. Specificity: The chance of testing negative if you do not have the disease.
3. Primary: Reducing risk factors through whole populations, select groups, or healthy individuals. Secondary: Early detection during the asymptomatic stage. Tertiary: Treatment to stop the progression of the disease during the symptomatic stage.
[/quote]

For number 1, you got it correct, but it wasn’t the answer I was looking for.

I was looking for
Relative Risk is the ratio of the probability of an event occurring in the exposed group versus the probability of the event occurring in the non-exposed group.

And

Odds ratio quantifies the strength of the association between two events.

You got questions 2 and 3 correct
gz839918
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: WI
Pronouns: Ask My Pronouns

Post by gz839918 »

Pickles wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 7:20 am 1. What does Relative Risk find compared to Odds Ratio?
[/quote]
[/quote]

For number 1, you got it correct, but it wasn’t the answer I was looking for.

I was looking for
Relative Risk is the ratio of the probability of an event occurring in the exposed group versus the probability of the event occurring in the non-exposed group.

And

Odds ratio quantifies the strength of the association between two events.

You got questions 2 and 3 correct
For reference, you can quote each other's questions by using the quote tags, like I did above. You can do that automatically by clicking on the quotes to the top-right of each post. Once you've gotten a quote pulled up in your post editor, and don't touch the quote! It may seem messy that there's a bunch of equal signs and numbers in the quote, but those are instructions to the computer to say "hey, this part should be enclosed in a fancy-looking quote box!"

Make sure you don't check on the "Disable BBCode" option—in one of your earlier posts, the quotes didn't work because you had that option checked. That way, it'll be easier for everybody to read your messages.

Thanks for contributing to the question marathons!
Last edited by gz839918 on April 3rd, 2021, 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
I ❤ sounds of music! About meRate my tests

Carmel High School ’19
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill ’23
“People overestimate what they can do in a day, and underestimate what they can do in a lifetime.” –Unknown

Return to “2021 Question Marathons”