Machines B/C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
oliviasl
Division: C
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Machines B/C

Post by oliviasl »

Ttonyxx wrote: February 9th, 2021, 11:14 am Okay, I'll guess I'll go since no one else is going.

1) Let's start easy: What are the three Archimedean simple machines?
2) A little harder: What is the ideal mechanical advantage of a 0.112in-40 UNC-3A x 0.5 screw? Explain what each of the numbers in the screw callout means.
3) In the diagram shown below, the block has a mass m = 100kg and there is a coefficient of friction μ = 0.203 between the surfaces on the top and bottom of the wedge. The angle of the wedge (between the two contact surfaces) is 15°. Assume every other surface is frictionless and the only moveable pieces are the wedge and the block. Calculate the force P required to raise the block.
Here's the answers I got:
1) Lever, screw, pulley
2) 0.112in refers to the major diameter. 40 means there are 40 threads per inch. UNC means the screw is a Unified National Coarse Thread screw. The 3 indicates the thread class, with 3 being the class with the lowest tolerance. "A "refers to external threads. The 0.5 means that the screw is half an inch long.
3) I got P = 687.7 N
Last edited by pikachu4919 on February 13th, 2021, 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ttonyxx
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Ttonyxx »

oliviasl wrote: February 12th, 2021, 4:57 pm
Ttonyxx wrote: February 9th, 2021, 11:14 am Okay, I'll guess I'll go since no one else is going.

1) Let's start easy: What are the three Archimedean simple machines?
2) A little harder: What is the ideal mechanical advantage of a 0.112in-40 UNC-3A x 0.5 screw? Explain what each of the numbers in the screw callout means.
3) In the diagram shown below, the block has a mass m = 100kg and there is a coefficient of friction μ = 0.203 between the surfaces on the top and bottom of the wedge. The angle of the wedge (between the two contact surfaces) is 15°. Assume every other surface is frictionless and the only moveable pieces are the wedge and the block. Calculate the force P required to raise the block.
Here's the answers I got:
1) Lever, screw, pulley
2) 0.112in refers to the major diameter. 40 means there are 40 threads per inch. UNC means the screw is a Unified National Coarse Thread screw. The 3 indicates the thread class, with 3 being the class with the lowest tolerance. "A "refers to external threads. The 0.5 means that the screw is half an inch long.
3) I got P = 687.7 N
Yup! Everything is correct, your turn.
RiverWalker88
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NM

Post by RiverWalker88 »

Revive?

Here's a problem I'd recommend for everyone that has some basic knowledge of trig (i.e. how the trig functions relate to a triangle) doing machines, as it really helps solidify and conceptualize the formula for IMA of a wedge (and you get the warm fuzzy feeling of having come up with something you can actually use during the event).

For both of the following wedges, the Ideal Mechanical Advantage can be described as . Using this, determine a formula for the IMA of both of these wedges in terms of the angle of the wedge . Wedge (a) is a right triangle, and wedge (b) is isosceles. Show and/or explain how you got your formula.

Machines QM Wedges.jpg
Machines QM Wedges.jpg (17.13 KiB) Viewed 2984 times
New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology '26, Physics
Ttonyxx

Post by Ttonyxx »

RiverWalker88 wrote: [/answer]_id=63182]
Revive?

Here's a problem I'd recommend for everyone that has some basic knowledge of trig (i.e. how the trig functions relate to a triangle) doing machines, as it really helps solidify and conceptualize the formula for IMA of a wedge (and you get the warm fuzzy feeling of having come up with something you can actually use during the event).

For both of the following wedges, the Ideal Mechanical Advantage can be described as . Using this, determine a formula for the IMA of both of these wedges in terms of the angle of the wedge . Wedge (a) is a right triangle, and wedge (b) is isosceles. Show and/or explain how you got your formula.

Machines QM Wedges.jpg
I agree, this becomes pretty useful in competition. Here's my solution:

RiverWalker88
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by RiverWalker88 »

Ttonyxx wrote: February 25th, 2021, 9:12 pm
Revive?

Machines QM Wedges.jpg

Looks great for wedge B! Wedge A is a little different (not sure if you just missed it or...?)

And yeah, I did the derivation a couple of times and the formula is completely solidified in my head–again would recommend trying this out to anyone who does Machines.
Ttonyxx

Post by Ttonyxx »

RiverWalker88 wrote: February 25th, 2021, 9:34 pm
Revive?

Machines QM Wedges.jpg

Looks great for wedge B! Wedge A is a little different (not sure if you just missed it or...?)

And yeah, I did the derivation a couple of times and the formula is completely solidified in my head–again would recommend trying this out to anyone who does Machines.
Oh yeah whoops forgot about wedge A

RiverWalker88
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by RiverWalker88 »

Ttonyxx wrote: March 3rd, 2021, 1:24 pm
RiverWalker88 wrote: February 25th, 2021, 9:34 pm

Oh yeah whoops forgot about wedge A

Yep, looks great! Your turn!
Ttonyxx

Post by Ttonyxx »

1) What is the machine below called?
2) Derive the mechanical advantage formula for this machine and explain each step in your own words (not just taken from Wikipedia) :).
3) If R is 50cm and r is 37cm, what F is needed to lift a 50kg object using this machine?
ScoutViolet
Division: B
State: WA
Been thanked: 0

Post by ScoutViolet »

1:
(Weston's) differential Pulley Block
2:
The IMA is 2 times large radius divided by (Large Radius-Small Radius). (In my notes)
3:
well 100/13 is the IMA, 50/(100/13)=50 times 13/100=13/2=6.5 kg, which is about 63.7N
Last edited by ScoutViolet on March 5th, 2021, 5:53 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Ttonyxx

Post by Ttonyxx »

ScoutViolet wrote: March 5th, 2021, 5:48 pm 1:
(Weston's) differential Pulley Block
2:
The IMA is 2 times large radius divided by (Large Radius-Small Radius). (In my notes)
3:
well 100/13 is the IMA, 50/(100/13)=50 times 13/100=13/2=6.5 kg, which is about 63.7N
Great! For number 2, I was expecting more of a complete derivation, but that's fine. Your turn!

Return to “2021 Question Marathons”