Anatomy and Physiology B/C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
Mr.Epithelium
Member
Member
Posts: 57
Joined: April 2nd, 2018, 4:55 pm
Division: C
State: KY
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Anatomy and Physiology B/C

Post by Mr.Epithelium » September 10th, 2020, 3:07 pm

Some exciting new topics for 2021! Can we make this the longest chain again? :D
Remember to use
Answer
or Spoiler to hide your answer.

1. Paget's disease is caused by the initial action of what type of cell?
a. What ligand is released to stimulate the action of this type of cell?

2. How might the inflammation process lead to necrosis?

3. What muscular disorder is characterized by the inability to relax muscles?
b. What protein in the sarcomere aides in muscle relaxation?
These users thanked the author Mr.Epithelium for the post:
sneepity (September 17th, 2020, 5:27 am)
My first name is Nonkeratinized. My middle name is Squamous.

Here
Member
Member
Posts: 38
Joined: February 20th, 2019, 6:38 am
Division: C
State: NY
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Anatomy and Physiology B/C

Post by Here » September 10th, 2020, 3:40 pm

Mr.Epithelium wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 3:07 pm

1. Paget's disease is caused by the initial action of what type of cell?
a. What ligand is released to stimulate the action of this type of cell?

2. How might the inflammation process lead to necrosis?

3. What muscular disorder is characterized by the inability to relax muscles?
b. What protein in the sarcomere aides in muscle relaxation?
 let’s see if I remember anything lol
1. osteoclasts
a. RANK?

2. uhhh not too sure about this one so I’m just gonna take an educated guess, I think since parts of the immune system can activate necrosis that maybe that can be stimulated during the inflammatory process?

3.myotonia 
b. tropomyosin? 
Co-President: Kellenberg Memorial HS
2021 events: Anatomy, Designer Genes, Experimental Design, Ornithology

Mr.Epithelium
Member
Member
Posts: 57
Joined: April 2nd, 2018, 4:55 pm
Division: C
State: KY
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Anatomy and Physiology B/C

Post by Mr.Epithelium » September 10th, 2020, 5:00 pm

Here wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 3:40 pm
 let’s see if I remember anything lol
1. osteoclasts
a. RANK?

2. uhhh not too sure about this one so I’m just gonna take an educated guess, I think since parts of the immune system can activate necrosis that maybe that can be stimulated during the inflammatory process?

3.myotonia 
b. tropomyosin? 
1. Yes!
a. Yes
2. You're on the right track- immune cells like phagocytes migrate to the site of inflammation, and different secretions from them can cause necrosis
3. Yes
a. I was looking for titin, but tropomyosin is right too- without it a muscle couldn't relax at all!
Your turn!
My first name is Nonkeratinized. My middle name is Squamous.

User avatar
reninkidney
Member
Member
Posts: 80
Joined: April 6th, 2019, 3:29 pm
Division: B
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 80 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Anatomy and Physiology B/C

Post by reninkidney » September 14th, 2020, 10:39 pm

A. What is dystrophin?
B. Labelling:
Image
C: Image
What type of cartilage is this, how do you know, and where is it found?
These users thanked the author reninkidney for the post:
Mr.Epithelium (September 15th, 2020, 11:31 am)
2020 Events: A&P, Fossils, Heredity, XPD

Mr.Epithelium
Member
Member
Posts: 57
Joined: April 2nd, 2018, 4:55 pm
Division: C
State: KY
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Anatomy and Physiology B/C

Post by Mr.Epithelium » September 15th, 2020, 11:41 am

reninkidney wrote:
September 14th, 2020, 10:39 pm
A. What is dystrophin?
B. Labelling:
Image
C: Image
What type of cartilage is this, how do you know, and where is it found?
A. Dystrophin is a protein found in muscle fibers that links proteins from the sarcomere to the endomysium. This stabilizes the muscle and helps for overall movement during contraction. 
B. 
1. Sweat pore
2. Epidermis
3. Meissner's corpuscle
4. Dermis
5. Eccrine gland
6. Hypodermis
7. Stratum corneum
8. Stratum lucidum
9. Stratum granulosum
10. Stratum spinosum
11. Stratum basale
12. Sebaceous gland
13. Arrector pili
14. Hair follicle
15. Pacinian Corpuscle
C. This is fibrocartilage. There is a fibrous appearance, with a collagen fiber matrix and little amounts of chondrocytes inside. Fibrocartilage is found in the pubic symphysis and the intervertebral discs.
My first name is Nonkeratinized. My middle name is Squamous.

Mr.Epithelium
Member
Member
Posts: 57
Joined: April 2nd, 2018, 4:55 pm
Division: C
State: KY
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Anatomy and Physiology B/C

Post by Mr.Epithelium » September 17th, 2020, 8:12 pm

Revive! As a general reminder, please be sure to respond to keep the chain going :)

1. What species is the most common infectious agent for fungal infections of the skin?
2. What protein forms the structural "mesh" of a clot in wound healing?
a. What enzyme oversees the conversion of another protein to the protein named in 2?
3. What is the wave of muscular contractions that causes movement in the alimentary canal called?
My first name is Nonkeratinized. My middle name is Squamous.

popcorn3
Member
Member
Posts: 9
Joined: May 4th, 2020, 3:43 pm
Division: C
State: KY
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Anatomy and Physiology B/C

Post by popcorn3 » September 17th, 2020, 8:25 pm

Mr.Epithelium wrote:
September 17th, 2020, 8:12 pm
Revive! As a general reminder, please be sure to respond to keep the chain going :)

1. What species is the most common infectious agent for fungal infections of the skin?
2. What protein forms the structural "mesh" of a clot in wound healing?
a. What enzyme oversees the conversion of another protein to the protein named in 2?
3. What is the wave of muscular contractions that causes movement in the alimentary canal called?
1. Candida albicans
2. Fibrin
  a. thrombin
3. Peristalsis
2020 events: Anatomy, Disease Detectives, Designer Genes, Protein Modeling

Microbe Mission best event

Mr.Epithelium
Member
Member
Posts: 57
Joined: April 2nd, 2018, 4:55 pm
Division: C
State: KY
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Anatomy and Physiology B/C

Post by Mr.Epithelium » September 17th, 2020, 8:35 pm

popcorn3 wrote:
September 17th, 2020, 8:25 pm
Mr.Epithelium wrote:
September 17th, 2020, 8:12 pm
Revive! As a general reminder, please be sure to respond to keep the chain going :)

1. What species is the most common infectious agent for fungal infections of the skin?
2. What protein forms the structural "mesh" of a clot in wound healing?
a. What enzyme oversees the conversion of another protein to the protein named in 2?
3. What is the wave of muscular contractions that causes movement in the alimentary canal called?
1. Candida albicans
2. Fibrin
  a. thrombin
3. Peristalsis
All correct! your turn!
My first name is Nonkeratinized. My middle name is Squamous.

popcorn3
Member
Member
Posts: 9
Joined: May 4th, 2020, 3:43 pm
Division: C
State: KY
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Anatomy and Physiology B/C

Post by popcorn3 » September 17th, 2020, 9:11 pm

1. A ten-year-old child enter the ER complaining of pain in his wrist. You order an x-ray of his wrist, and get the following image:
Image
a. This x-ray shows a fracture involving what area of the bone?
b. What system is used to classify these kinds of fractures?
i. Classify this fracture.
ii. True or False: the class of fracture identified in part 1bi the most common kind.
c. Suggest a treatment for this patient.

2.
a. What condition of the skin arises from prolonged pressure to a certain spot?
b. Name a way to prevent this in elderly patients in a hospital.
2020 events: Anatomy, Disease Detectives, Designer Genes, Protein Modeling

Microbe Mission best event

Mr.Epithelium
Member
Member
Posts: 57
Joined: April 2nd, 2018, 4:55 pm
Division: C
State: KY
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Anatomy and Physiology B/C

Post by Mr.Epithelium » September 19th, 2020, 9:07 pm

popcorn3 wrote:
September 17th, 2020, 9:11 pm
1. A ten-year-old child enter the ER complaining of pain in his wrist. You order an x-ray of his wrist, and get the following image:
Image
a. This x-ray shows a fracture involving what area of the bone?
b. What system is used to classify these kinds of fractures?
i. Classify this fracture.
ii. True or False: the class of fracture identified in part 1bi the most common kind.
c. Suggest a treatment for this patient.

2.
a. What condition of the skin arises from prolonged pressure to a certain spot?
b. Name a way to prevent this in elderly patients in a hospital.
1. a. It shows a fracture involving the growth plate in the bone (near the epiphysis)
b. The Salter-Harris classification system
i. It is a type II fracture
ii. True
c. Use a splint or cast to make sure broken bones do not move around too much in the healing process. 

2. a. Bedsores
b. Frequently turn patients around and prevent being in the same location for too long.
My first name is Nonkeratinized. My middle name is Squamous.

Post Reply

Return to “Question Marathons”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest