Dynamic Planet B/C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by BennyTheJett »

aakoala wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 8:43 am
BennyTheJett wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 5:20 pm Screenshot_2021-03-23 Untitled presentation.png

For the above Venn Diagram, respond to the followin fill in the blanks with the integer that corresponds to the correct place in the Venn Diagram (numbered 1-8).

Example:
Which of these is a monkey?_____

You'd answer 8 because none of these are a monkey.
---
1) Commonly found in the abyssal plains. _____
2) Can Be Diatomaceous Earth (hope I spelled that right lol) ____
3) Can be found in estuarine environments. _____
4) Chemical composition of SiO2. _____
5) Tektites _______
6) Turbidites _____
7) Composed of Frustules and Corticals. _____
Ok, I really need to work on sediments. I don't expect to get any of these right, so don't get your hopes up!
1. 5
2. Diatomaceous -> Diatoms -> Can survive in many environments with high nutrients -> 2
3. 4
4. 1
5. Tektites -> Meteors? -> 8
6. 7
7. 6
Sorry if I got all of them wrong!
Here are some more questions to keep this marathon running.
1. Although he provided a lot of evidence, why was Alfred Wegener's theory of Continental Drift rejected at the time?
2. Describe the importance of the Gulf Stream to the climate of Europe, and explain how global warming can affect the Gulf Stream.
3. This type of breaking wave typically occurs on a very steep floor bottom.
4. Describe how increased CO2 production ultimately leads to increased coral bleaching.
Sorry for just getting back to this.

For 1, I was looking for 4.
2 is correct.
For 3, I was looking for 5.
4 is correct.
5 is correct.
For 6, I was looking for 1.
For 7, I was looking for 2.
Menomonie '21 UW-Platteville '25

Division D and proud. If you want a Geology tutor hmu.
donjuanpond
Division: C
State: WA

Post by donjuanpond »

aakoala wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 8:43 am Here are some more questions to keep this marathon running.
1. Although he provided a lot of evidence, why was Alfred Wegener's theory of Continental Drift rejected at the time?
2. Describe the importance of the Gulf Stream to the climate of Europe, and explain how global warming can affect the Gulf Stream.
4. Describe how increased CO2 production ultimately leads to increased coral bleaching.
1. Alfred Wegener was not accepted because he could not prove the convection currents in the asthenosphere that caused the plate movements
2. The gulf stream brings warm, nutrient-rich waters to Europe, sustaining fisheries and keeping the climate warm. Global warming would slow down the gulf stream because it would affect the downwelling at the AABW which starts the whole process AND because the gulf stream relies on thermohaline circulation which would be reduced - the density differences would be lessened because of global warming.
3. Surging Breakers
4. Increased CO2 production leads to increased coral bleaching in 2 main ways - Global Warming and Ocean Acidification. Global Warming occurs due to CO2 production because of the Greenhouse Gas effect (don't think I need to explain this one much), which stresses the coral polyp leading it to expel its endosymbiotic zooxanthellae (coral bleaching). Ocean acidification occurs due to the reaction of CO2 with water, forming H2CO3 (carbonic acid). This acid causes the pH of water to decrease, lessening Aragonite Saturation in water. This lessened Aragonite Saturation State makes it so that coral polyps do not have access to the CaCO3 they need to produce their exoskeletons (the reefs), stressing them, forcing them to expel the algae, coral bleaching. IN CASE I NEED TO EXPLAIN CORAL BLEACHING ITSELF: coral bleaching occurs when the symbiotic algae of a coral polyp is expelled. The algae is what provides color to the coral itself and when it is expelled the coral looks 'bleached', thus coral bleaching. 
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad

Post by BennyTheJett »

donjuanpond wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 7:26 am
aakoala wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 8:43 am Here are some more questions to keep this marathon running.
1. Alfred Wegener was not accepted because he could not prove the convection currents in the asthenosphere that caused the plate movements
2. The gulf stream brings warm, nutrient-rich waters to Europe, sustaining fisheries and keeping the climate warm. Global warming would slow down the gulf stream because it would affect the downwelling at the AABW which starts the whole process AND because the gulf stream relies on thermohaline circulation which would be reduced - the density differences would be lessened because of global warming.
3. Surging Breakers
4. Increased CO2 production leads to increased coral bleaching in 2 main ways - Global Warming and Ocean Acidification. Global Warming occurs due to CO2 production because of the Greenhouse Gas effect (don't think I need to explain this one much), which stresses the coral polyp leading it to expel its endosymbiotic zooxanthellae (coral bleaching). Ocean acidification occurs due to the reaction of CO2 with water, forming H2CO3 (carbonic acid). This acid causes the pH of water to decrease, lessening Aragonite Saturation in water. This lessened Aragonite Saturation State makes it so that coral polyps do not have access to the CaCO3 they need to produce their exoskeletons (the reefs), stressing them, forcing them to expel the algae, coral bleaching. IN CASE I NEED TO EXPLAIN CORAL BLEACHING ITSELF: coral bleaching occurs when the symbiotic algae of a coral polyp is expelled. The algae is what provides color to the coral itself and when it is expelled the coral looks 'bleached', thus coral bleaching. 
Since I don't know if he'll respond, It looks good to me. Your turn!
Last edited by BennyTheJett on May 3rd, 2021, 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author BennyTheJett for the post:
donjuanpond (May 3rd, 2021, 7:46 am)
Menomonie '21 UW-Platteville '25

Division D and proud. If you want a Geology tutor hmu.
donjuanpond

Post by donjuanpond »

aakoala wrote: April 4th, 2021, 10:09 am Here are some new questions to keep this marathon going!

California is recording its tides. The link to their tide chart is here: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... /tides.jpg

1. What kind of tide is California experiencing?
2. How does this type of tide form?
3. What is/are the other type(s) of tide(s)?
4. Is the water from hour 12 to hour 18 flooding or ebbing? How do you know?

5. When you mix water samples that have different temperatures and salinities, but the same density, will the overall density increase, decrease, or stay the same?
6. Describe eutrophication and its effect on marine ecosystems.
1. mixed or mixed-semidiurnal, I've seen people say one or the other is correct
2. This type of tide forms because the pacific ocean basin is aligned so that the basins shape and the wave oscillation amplifies one high tide a day.
3. diurnal and semidiurnal tides
4. Ebbing (not completely sure) because the tide is receding and thus ebbing?
5. decrease (not sure about this one either)
6. eutrophication is the phenomenon in which nutrient pollution causes algal blooms. The algae that is formed outcompete the undersea plants for sunlight (this kills those undersea plants), lowering DO concentration (DO is dissolved oxygen). The algae, unable to sustain itself due to the overconsumption of nutrients, dies off and decomposes. The decomposition takes up DO, making the oxygen levels of the water body hypoxic or anoxic. This creates what is known as a 'dead zone' where little to no life can be sustained.
donjuanpond

Post by donjuanpond »

Ok, here's my questions:

1. Which water mass has a salinity between 35-36.2 PSU?
2. What is the equation to find the celerity (in meters per second) of an intermediate wave? Also, define an intermediate wave.
3. Define a conservative element. How long is the residence time of one of these elements?
4. What is the Redfield Ratio (the definition of the ratio and the ratio itself)? How is it related to Forchhammer's principle?
5. What is the Wilson cycle? How many steps are in the Wilson cycle?
6. What is the significance of the Bouma sequence?
Thenerdicat
State: VA
Pronouns: Ask My Pronouns

Post by Thenerdicat »

k1208438 wrote: September 28th, 2020, 6:44 pm 1, What are semi-permeable membrane devices used for?
2,What landform was in place of the Bering Strait millions of years ago?
Really late (sorry), but 1, they are used to sample organic compounds in trace levels (log Kow > 3), 2, I think it's the Bering Land Bridge (Beringia), which was here during the Ice Ages
Biology events :DDDD
Thenerdicat
State: VA
Pronouns: Ask My Pronouns

Post by Thenerdicat »

donjuanpond wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 7:45 am Ok, here's my questions:

2. What is the equation to find the celerity (in meters per second) of an intermediate wave? Also, define an intermediate wave.
3. Define a conservative element. How long is the residence time of one of these elements?
4. What is the Redfield Ratio (the definition of the ratio and the ratio itself)? How is it related to Forchhammer's principle?
1. Mediterranean Water
2. An intermediate (or transitional) wave is a wave where the water depth is greater than 1/2 the wavelength; they are neither deep nor shallow water waves. Celerity of an intermediate wave I have no idea.
3. A conservative element is a conservative element if the concentration of the element is the same vertically and horizontally in the ocean (ex., sodium, potassium). The residence time is longer than the mixing time of the ocean (~1000 years).
4. The Redfield Ratio is 106:16:1; it's the ratio of carbon to nitrogen to phosphorus and it remains relatively constant in the oceans worldwide. I guess it relates to Forchhammer's Principle because both have to do with the chemical composition of seawater? Idk.
5. The Wilson Cycle is the cycle of the opening-closing of ocean basins and subduction-divergence of tectonic plates. It has 6 steps: embryonic: Continental Separation (think rifting), juvenile: Formation of Young Ocean, mature: Formation of Ocean Basins, declining: Subduction Closure of Ocean Basins, terminal: Collision/Closing of an ocean basin; relic scar/geosuture/suturing-Creation of Mountain Ranges.
6. I don't know.
Biology events :DDDD
donjuanpond

Post by donjuanpond »

Thenerdicat wrote: May 5th, 2021, 2:29 pm
donjuanpond wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 7:45 am Ok, here's my questions:

1. Mediterranean Water
2. An intermediate (or transitional) wave is a wave where the water depth is greater than 1/2 the wavelength; they are neither deep nor shallow water waves. Celerity of an intermediate wave I have no idea.
3. A conservative element is a conservative element if the concentration of the element is the same vertically and horizontally in the ocean (ex., sodium, potassium). The residence time is longer than the mixing time of the ocean (~1000 years).
4. The Redfield Ratio is 106:16:1; it's the ratio of carbon to nitrogen to phosphorus and it remains relatively constant in the oceans worldwide. I guess it relates to Forchhammer's Principle because both have to do with the chemical composition of seawater? Idk.
5. The Wilson Cycle is the cycle of the opening-closing of ocean basins and subduction-divergence of tectonic plates. It has 6 steps: embryonic: Continental Separation (think rifting), juvenile: Formation of Young Ocean, mature: Formation of Ocean Basins, declining: Subduction Closure of Ocean Basins, terminal: Collision/Closing of an ocean basin; relic scar/geosuture/suturing-Creation of Mountain Ranges.
6. I don't know.
donjuanpond

Post by donjuanpond »

wait my entire message didn't save for some reason, let me come back to you in like an hour
donjuanpond

Post by donjuanpond »

Ok, I'm back. Here's the corrections to your answers:
1. correct!
2. An intermediate wave is a wave when the water depth is between 1/2 and 1/20 the wavelength. The equation of the speed of the intermediate wave is as follows: Image, where g is the force of gravity, d is water depth and L is wavelength
3. Correct!
4. Correct, but I would personally just clarify a little bit about Forchhammer's Principle by explaining what it is - the principle says that the proportion of major seawater ions is constant throughout most of the world, so the Redfield Ratio is related because it is one application of Forchhammer's principle.
5. Correct!
6. The Bouma sequence describes the vertical composition of areas affected by low-density turbidity currents such as continental rises (I think that's the plural?). I'm not going to describe the sequence in too much detail (if you want detail, go to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouma_sequence), but the significance is that it allows you to predict the vertical layering of sediments in those areas.
These users thanked the author donjuanpond for the post:
Thenerdicat (May 19th, 2021, 6:00 am)

Return to “2021 Question Marathons”