Heredity B/Designer Genes C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
twoplustwoisten
Division: C
State: ID
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Heredity B/Designer Genes C

Post by twoplustwoisten » October 22nd, 2020, 8:49 pm

AstroClarinet wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 6:46 pm
1. How does the Law of Independent Assortment affect dihybrid and trihybrid crosses?
2. A person with variable number tandem repeats that repeat more times will have bands where on a Southern blot? (relative to others who have shorter VNTRs)
3. Explain the role of the maturation-promoting factor (MPF) in cell division.
1. Uhh. . . it affects them by not affecting them. The Law of Independent Assortment states that the genes do not influence sorting of alleles, therefore making each little square of the (rather massive, in these cases) Punnett Square an equally likely outcome.
2. Farther apart? Maybe something to do with loci? This seems really vague, but that might just be me : /
3. It triggers the mitotic spindle to form and starts mitosis.
"Don't eat stem, do STEM" -Me

AstroClarinet

Post by AstroClarinet » October 23rd, 2020, 6:05 am

twoplustwoisten wrote:
October 22nd, 2020, 8:49 pm
AstroClarinet wrote:
1. How does the Law of Independent Assortment affect dihybrid and trihybrid crosses?
2. A person with variable number tandem repeats that repeat more times will have bands where on a Southern blot? (relative to others who have shorter VNTRs)
1. Uhh. . . it affects them by not affecting them. The Law of Independent Assortment states that the genes do not influence sorting of alleles, therefore making each little square of the (rather massive, in these cases) Punnett Square an equally likely outcome.
2. Farther apart? Maybe something to do with loci? This seems really vague, but that might just be me : /
1. The Law of Independent Assortment says that the alleles of the different traits in a dihybrid/trihybrid cross are inherited separately (in other words, the genes are unlinked). If the genes were linked, then not all the combinations of alleles would be possible, and the crosses would just have the same ratios as those of a monohybrid cross. 
2. This is really a complicated way of asking, "do longer fragments of DNA travel further or less far than shorter fragments of DNA in gel electrophoresis?" RFLP often uses VNTRs, which are sections of DNA which repeat a variable number of times. When these VNTRs are restricted into fragments and run through gel electrophoresis, the longer fragments (the ones with more repeats) won't travel as far from the wells at the top of the gel. A Southern blot is performed to record the results of the gel (basically, when they show you a picture of a Southern blot, it'll look the same as if you were looking at the gel). Therefore, if someone has a VNTR with more repeats, they will have a band higher up on the Southern blot. 
3. Yep
2019-2021 events: Astronomy, Designer Genes, Water Quality
1st place at state in Solar System B (2018) and Ecology B (2017)
 Solar System, Boomilever, Density Lab, Ecology, Optics, Towers, Microbe Mission, Mission Possible
AstroClarinet's Userpage

twoplustwoisten

Post by twoplustwoisten » October 23rd, 2020, 11:08 am

AstroClarinet wrote:
October 23rd, 2020, 6:05 am
twoplustwoisten wrote:
October 22nd, 2020, 8:49 pm
AstroClarinet wrote:
1. The Law of Independent Assortment says that the alleles of the different traits in a dihybrid/trihybrid cross are inherited separately (in other words, the genes are unlinked). If the genes were linked, then not all the combinations of alleles would be possible, and the crosses would just have the same ratios as those of a monohybrid cross. 
2. This is really a complicated way of asking, "do longer fragments of DNA travel further or less far than shorter fragments of DNA in gel electrophoresis?" RFLP often uses VNTRs, which are sections of DNA which repeat a variable number of times. When these VNTRs are restricted into fragments and run through gel electrophoresis, the longer fragments (the ones with more repeats) won't travel as far from the wells at the top of the gel. A Southern blot is performed to record the results of the gel (basically, when they show you a picture of a Southern blot, it'll look the same as if you were looking at the gel). Therefore, if someone has a VNTR with more repeats, they will have a band higher up on the Southern blot. 
3. Yep
Um. . .do I put questions next even though I got most of these wrong?

AstroClarinet

Post by AstroClarinet » October 23rd, 2020, 12:55 pm

twoplustwoisten wrote:
October 23rd, 2020, 11:08 am
Um. . .do I put questions next even though I got most of these wrong?
Yeah, go ahead!
It's perfectly okay to get questions wrong, as long as you learn something from them :D
2019-2021 events: Astronomy, Designer Genes, Water Quality
1st place at state in Solar System B (2018) and Ecology B (2017)
 Solar System, Boomilever, Density Lab, Ecology, Optics, Towers, Microbe Mission, Mission Possible
AstroClarinet's Userpage

twoplustwoisten

Post by twoplustwoisten » October 27th, 2020, 11:14 am

Please explain the process of gel electrophoresis.
Please state the basic types of mutation, and a short (1 sentence) definiton of each.
What does a codon specify?

Return to “Question Marathons”