Road Scholar

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
drcubbin
Division: B
State: NY

Road Scholar

Post by drcubbin »

Since no competitor has gone here before, I'll start out with some easy questions:

1. A map that shows the national and state boundaries and cities is called a _______.
2. A Population Density map is an example of a _______.
3. The five elements of a map are ____________________.
4. Landforms such as mountains and volcanos can be found on a _________.
5. A map that shows the national and state boundaries and cities is called a _________.
6. The Prime Meridian divides the earth into eastern and western hemispheres and is located at _________.
[hide]
1. compass rose
2. special purpose map
3. title, scale, compass rose, inset map, and legend
4. physical map
5. political map
6. zero degrees longitude
[/hide]
aakoala
Division: C
State: MI
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Road Scholar

Post by aakoala »

drcubbin wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 4:45 am Since no competitor has gone here before, I'll start out with some easy questions:

1. A map that shows the national and state boundaries and cities is called a _______.
5. A map that shows the national and state boundaries and cities is called a _________.
6. The Prime Meridian divides the earth into eastern and western hemispheres and is located at _________.
[hide]
1. compass rose
2. special purpose map
4. physical map
5. political map
[/hide]
It's kinda sad that this is Road Scholar's last year :(

You gave some answers already, so I assume I ask another set of questions?

1. A PLSS township consists of how many acres? Show your work!
2. What type of building is not typically meant for housing human activities?
3. The UTM system divides Earth into how many zones?
4. This type of interchange (with the name of a musical instrument) is normally used where one highway terminates at another.
Userpage
22-23 Events:
Cell Biology
Dynamic Planet
Forensics
Remote Sensing
drcubbin

Post by drcubbin »

aakoala wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 8:29 am
drcubbin wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 4:45 am Since no competitor has gone here before, I'll start out with some easy questions:

[hide]
1. compass rose
2. special purpose map
4. physical map
5. political map
[/hide]

4. This type of interchange (with the name of a musical instrument) is normally used where one highway terminates at another.
I posted the answers for you to check after you answered ;) And yes, it is sad that Road Scholar gets so little attention :cry: Let's see if your questions can drag a few more adventurous souls into RS!
vye904
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by vye904 »

[hide]
1. compass rose
2. special purpose map
4. physical map
5. political map
[/hide]

1. 6 miles x 6 miles = 36 square miles = 640 acres
2. Class 2
3. 60
4. Trumpet interchange

1. What are the dimensions of 1 sector (in degrees) in a 7.5 series topographic quadrangle?
2. Describe an esker in 1 or 2 sentences.
3. What does AAA stand for? What does SPUI stand for?
4. What do 3 digit highways generally indicate?
aakoala
State: MI

Post by aakoala »

vye904 wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 10:34 am

[hide]
1. compass rose
2. special purpose map
4. physical map
5. political map
[/hide]

1. 6 miles x 6 miles = 36 square miles = 640 acres
2. Class 2
3. 60
4. Trumpet interchange

1. What are the dimensions of 1 sector (in degrees) in a 7.5 series topographic quadrangle?
2. Describe an esker in 1 or 2 sentences.
3. What does AAA stand for? What does SPUI stand for?
4. What do 3 digit highways generally indicate?
For answer #1: You are correct that there are 36 square miles in a township, but there are 640 acres in each section in a township. Since there are 36 sections in a township, I was looking for 640*36=23,040 acres.

Otherwise, your answers are correct!

For your questions,
1. 2.5 minutes * 2.5 minutes
2. Eskers are long, winding ridges of sediment such as sand or gravel. They come from glaciers (I believe)
3. AAA stands for American Automobile Association, and a SPUI is a single-point urban interchange.
4. 3 digit highways generally indicate a section of a highway splitting off from the main 2-digit highway.
1. Who first came up with the idea of PLSS?
2. In which way do contours in a river/stream point? (Upstream or downstream?)
3. Describe how a map city index can be useful for locating locations.
4. Determine the slope gradient if the original elevation is 1500 feet, the final elevation is 900 feet, and the distance between the two points is 5 miles. (Include units and show your work!)
These users thanked the author aakoala for the post:
vye904 (April 3rd, 2021, 7:16 pm)
Userpage
22-23 Events:
Cell Biology
Dynamic Planet
Forensics
Remote Sensing
vye904

Post by vye904 »

aakoala wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 5:08 pm For your questions,
2. Eskers are long, winding ridges of sediment such as sand or gravel. They come from glaciers (I believe)
3. AAA stands for American Automobile Association, and a SPUI is a single-point urban interchange.
4. 3 digit highways generally indicate a section of a highway splitting off from the main 2-digit highway.
All correct!
aakoala wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 5:08 pm 1. Who first came up with the idea of PLSS?
4. Determine the slope gradient if the original elevation is 1500 feet, the final elevation is 900 feet, and the distance between the two points is 5 miles. (Include units and show your work!)
1. Thomas Jefferson
2. Upstream
3. Locations are listed in alphabetical order, allowing for the map reader to find the letter and number corresponding to the grid location.
4. (1500 feet-900 feet)/5 miles x 100 = 12000. 12000 feet per 100 miles
New set of questions:
1. Describe the difference between an intermittent and ephemeral stream.
2. What is a vertical datum? Name 2 types of vertical datums commonly used today.
3. After looking at his map, a hiker notices a survey control mark at his location. After a few minutes of searching, he finds a physical tablet detailing the elevation. What type of control marking is this?
4. The distance between the same control mark and a nearby gaging station is 2.3 inches on his 1:24000 topographic quadrangle. What is the actual distance between the control mark and the gaging station in meters? Round to the nearest hundredth if necessary and show work.
awesomeaidan123

Post by awesomeaidan123 »

vye904 wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 7:16 pm
aakoala wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 5:08 pm For your questions,
All correct!
aakoala wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 5:08 pm 1. Who first came up with the idea of PLSS?
1. Thomas Jefferson
2. Upstream
3. Locations are listed in alphabetical order, allowing for the map reader to find the letter and number corresponding to the grid location.
4. (1500 feet-900 feet)/5 miles x 100 = 12000. 12000 feet per 100 miles
New set of questions:
2. What is a vertical datum? Name 2 types of vertical datums commonly used today.
3. After looking at his map, a hiker notices a survey control mark at his location. After a few minutes of searching, he finds a physical tablet detailing the elevation. What type of control marking is this?
4. The distance between the same control mark and a nearby gaging station is 2.3 inches on his 1:24000 topographic quadrangle. What is the actual distance between the control mark and the gaging station in meters? Round to the nearest hundredth if necessary and show work.
1. An intermittent stream also known as a seasonal stream flows during a specific time of the year while an ephemeral stream also called a rain-dependent stream happens only after precipitation. 

2. A vertical datum is a surface of 0 elevation that is used to mark the height of other structures. 2 examples of them are the “North American Vertical Datum of 1988” and the “Guam Vertical Datum of 2004” 

3. I’m not exactly sure but isn’t it just an elevation marking?

4.  2.3 inches x 24,000 = 55,200 inches = 4600 feet = about  1533.33 yards

I don’t really know any road scholar questions that don’t directly require a map, so I can’t really share any questions but I will keep researching
vye904

Post by vye904 »

awesomeaidan123 wrote: June 15th, 2021, 10:23 am
New set of questions:
1. An intermittent stream also known as a seasonal stream flows during a specific time of the year while an ephemeral stream also called a rain-dependent stream happens only after precipitation. 

2. A vertical datum is a surface of 0 elevation that is used to mark the height of other structures. 2 examples of them are the “North American Vertical Datum of 1988” and the “Guam Vertical Datum of 2004” 

I don’t really know any road scholar questions that don’t directly require a map, so I can’t really share any questions but I will keep researching
1. Correct!

2. Correct!

3. So the question is asking for the type of control mark, which is mainly classified by if it's horizontal or vertical and if it's with or without a physical tablet. Since the hiker found a tablet with the elevation, it would be classified as a vertical control station mark. (You can find the symbols and definitions for the different types in the topo map symbols sheet under 'control data and monuments')

4. This is technically the correct distance but not in the right units. Since the question was asking for meters, you would multiple 2.3 inches by 609.6 to find the real world distance in meters. The answer would be 1402.08 meters.
awesomeaidan123

Post by awesomeaidan123 »

vye904 wrote: June 15th, 2021, 12:27 pm
awesomeaidan123 wrote: June 15th, 2021, 10:23 am
New set of questions:

1. Correct!

2. Correct!

3. So the question is asking for the type of control mark, which is mainly classified by if it's horizontal or vertical and if it's with or without a physical tablet. Since the hiker found a tablet with the elevation, it would be classified as a vertical control station mark. (You can find the symbols and definitions for the different types in the topo map symbols sheet under 'control data and monuments')

4. This is technically the correct distance but not in the right units. Since the question was asking for meters, you would multiple 2.3 inches by 609.6 to find the real world distance in meters. The answer would be 1402.08 meters.
Ohh now I understand number 3, and 4 was just my mistake. I have to read the question carefully.

Return to “2021 Question Marathons”