WiFi Lab C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
pikachu4919
Division: Grad
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

WiFi Lab C

Post by pikachu4919 »

2022 Question Marathon Thread for WiFi Lab C.

Question Marathons Explained

Last edited by pikachu4919 on September 6th, 2021, 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
RasmitDevkota
Division: C
State: GA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: WiFi Lab C

Post by RasmitDevkota »

Well, let's get this started with something simple and essential then: what are the two most commonly-used frequency bands for WiFi communications, in gigahertz?
Nydauron
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by Nydauron »

RasmitDevkota wrote: September 19th, 2021, 9:12 am Well, let's get this started with something simple and essential then: what are the two most commonly-used frequency bands for WiFi communications, in gigahertz?
2.4 and 5 GHz
Conant '19UIUC '23
Physics is the only real science
Change my mind
Nydauron's Userpage
A proper dark mode for the forums and wiki
RasmitDevkota

Post by RasmitDevkota »

Nydauron wrote: September 21st, 2021, 10:58 am
RasmitDevkota wrote: September 19th, 2021, 9:12 am Well, let's get this started with something simple and essential then: what are the two most commonly-used frequency bands for WiFi communications, in gigahertz?
2.4 and 5 GHz
Yep :)
Nydauron
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Nydauron »

My turn then!

I have 2 access points to keep signal strength strong throughout my apartment. However, I am hitting some deadspots when I am between the access points. However, when I remove one of them, no packets get lost. What is likely to be the cause?
Conant '19UIUC '23
Change my mind
Nydauron's Userpage
melaniaaachen
Division: B
State: AK
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by melaniaaachen »

Nydauron wrote: September 21st, 2021, 10:58 am
2.4 and 5 GHz
Ahaha :D I recently bought a router and already knew the answer to this question.
RasmitDevkota

Post by RasmitDevkota »

Nydauron wrote: September 21st, 2021, 3:39 pm My turn then!

I have 2 access points to keep signal strength strong throughout my apartment. However, I am hitting some deadspots when I am between the access points. However, when I remove one of them, no packets get lost. What is likely to be the cause?
Interference between the two access points causing information to get lost in certain locations where they destructively coincide?
Nydauron
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Nydauron »

RasmitDevkota wrote: November 5th, 2021, 9:50 am
Interference between the two access points causing information to get lost in certain locations where they destructively coincide?
At a low level, yes, this is exactly what's happening.
What I was sorta looking for is that the access points were on the same channels. Even though we say 2.4 and 5GHz are the frequencies for wifi, it is still pretty generic since the FCC usually allocates a range of frequencies for certain technologies. Disregarding location, for the main types of wifi, there are 14 channels for 2.4GHz (of 5MHz width) and about 70 channels for 5GHz (ranging from 10-80Mhz wide).
Conant '19UIUC '23
Change my mind
Nydauron's Userpage
RasmitDevkota

Post by RasmitDevkota »

Nydauron wrote: November 8th, 2021, 2:21 pm
RasmitDevkota wrote: November 5th, 2021, 9:50 am
At a low level, yes, this is exactly what's happening.
What I was sorta looking for is that the access points were on the same channels. Even though we say 2.4 and 5GHz are the frequencies for wifi, it is still pretty generic since the FCC usually allocates a range of frequencies for certain technologies. Disregarding location, for the main types of wifi, there are 14 channels for 2.4GHz (of 5MHz width) and about 70 channels for 5GHz (ranging from 10-80Mhz wide).
I was thinking more in general since interference happens regardless of the wave properties.
Onto the next question then: You noticed your neighbor has recently installed a half-wave dipole antenna on their roof. Being the curious antenna geek you are, you sneakily climb onto their roof with a plastic ruler and measure the dipole to have a total length of 3.1 meters. (a) What frequency does this correspond to in hertz and (b) what bandwidth designation (HF, UHF, VHF, etc.) would this fall into?
Last edited by RasmitDevkota on November 20th, 2021, 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThomasL
State: VA

Post by ThomasL »

(a) 48 MHz (half-wave dipole antenna has length 1/2 the wavelength, and frequency is speed of light divided by wavelength)
(b) VHF (which is 30 MHz - 300 MHz)
TJHSST '21, Virginia Tech '25

You're pretty cool:) Have a nice day!

Return to “2022 Question Marathons”