Making propellers

Bitconnect
Division: C
State: NH

Re: Making propellers

Postby Bitconnect » January 9th, 2019, 6:42 pm

Yeah, I'm going to cut blades from cups, use carbon fiber for spars, and use yellow plastic tubing for the pitch adjustment part. I'm gonna try to make it lighter than 2 grams but I'll see.

Bitconnect
State: NH

Postby Bitconnect » January 9th, 2019, 8:01 pm

Sadly, my cups are too small. Im going to cut my blades from a cylinder of plastic from a soda can. The bottle does not taper like what you're supposed to cut blades out of, but I've read that cylinders can also be used.

jander14indoor
State: -

Postby jander14indoor » January 10th, 2019, 11:46 am

If you want larger pitch changes on Ikara props, careful, very localized application of heat can avoid the stress damage others have mentioned. Also very permanent. If you do it in a jig, easy to control accuracy.
You risk melting, but you'll now that right away.
At one point there was a video, but I wasn't able to find it with a short search. Been a lot of years since I last saw it.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI

torqueburner
State: PA

Postby torqueburner » Today, 8:00 am

jander14indoor wrote:If you want larger pitch changes on Ikara props, careful, very localized application of heat can avoid the stress damage others have mentioned. Also very permanent. If you do it in a jig, easy to control accuracy.
You risk melting, but you'll now that right away.
At one point there was a video, but I wasn't able to find it with a short search. Been a lot of years since I last saw it.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI

We used to do it the way that Jeff mentions, by heating the spar. I have the video he mentions; pm me with your email address and I'll send you a copy.

Recently we have been making a hub from a 2 cm piece of 5/32" polystyrene tubing (Evergreen #225). Round off the ends of the spars a bit and you get a snug fit that can be easily repitched, then held in place with a bit of Ambroid or Duco cement.

Dave Drummer
Kutztown, PA

Return to “Wright Stuff C”