High Ceiling Strategy

klastyioer
Division: C
State: PA

Re: High Ceiling Strategy

Postby klastyioer » April 15th, 2019, 6:18 am

itd be a bold move to start considering tube motor sticks like the ones mentioned earlier in one of these forums
theyre strong enough to prevent any flexing in the stick and are lighter or around the same weight as the sticks youre probably using right now, depending on the wood you choose to use
theyre kinda hard to make not gonna lie on that but there are videos online that can instruct you on how to make the tube itself and with a little bit of research, you can find some jigs for gluing the seam, inserting tissue tubes, and implementing the rear hook, tb, and bearing.
honestly, it's not about the medals. go out there and have fun. make progress, learn a few things, have one heck of a time, because that's all that matters.
---
Member of the Builder Cult >:)

Airco2020

Postby Airco2020 » April 15th, 2019, 6:39 am

Well I just wanted to give an update and thank everyone for their help. We had our state competition Saturday. The good news, we had a personal best time with this plane of 2:37. The bad news is we could not get the climb needed for the big building and finished 9th in state. I don't know the top time, but I did time one of the winners practice runs at 3:42. The venue is an armory with a 90ft ceiling in the middle. The winning plane was able to corkscrew almost straight up for the first 30 - 40 ft and then the plane flattened out and kept climbing to right under the rafters.

Airco2020

Postby Airco2020 » April 15th, 2019, 6:40 am

coachchuckaahs wrote:Sorry, I have been offline. My entire flying team went to Round Valley to compete in AMA competition this weekend. One team member came home with a National Record (pending AMA approval).

Coach Chuck

Congratulations!!! You've really got a powerhouse team going!

coachchuckaahs
Division: B
State: NM

Postby coachchuckaahs » April 15th, 2019, 9:03 am

It was a blast to fly in a 100' ceiling! My kids all got times right around 10 minutes with their penny planes. Like described by airco, the flights in the high venue were very powerful climbs initially, then leveling off under the rafters. Imagine hitting rafters, repeatedly, at 100'! Only 2 got stuck, and we freed them with helium balloons.

I am happy to report that our testing at home scaled well to the 100' room. We tested with 1/5 rubber, generally 0.5g of rubber and a 2g stick, flying to 20' at home. This gave us an excellent starting point for the 100' ceiling.

Interestingly, the kids found different solutions to get to 10 minutes. The top flyer had very high pitch, with slow prop RPM and thick rubber. That is also the route I took. However, another kid had fairly low pitch, with higher RPM, and she was beating up the rafters. We kept cutting the rubber thinner and thinner, and she reached within a few seconds of the high pitch kid!

All of the kids used the SO log sheets that we have, and analyzed the data, changing one variable at a time. They progressed from 6-7 minutes to over 10 minutes throughout the weekend.

All of this translates directly to SO. The planes were lighter (3.1g), but the processes to improve are the same. It is amazing to see these planes go up like a rocket, then level out and float on the air.

Coach Chuck

klastyioer
Division: C
State: PA

Postby klastyioer » April 17th, 2019, 7:16 am

coachchuckaahs wrote:It was a blast to fly in a 100' ceiling! My kids all got times right around 10 minutes with their penny planes. Like described by airco, the flights in the high venue were very powerful climbs initially, then leveling off under the rafters. Imagine hitting rafters, repeatedly, at 100'! Only 2 got stuck, and we freed them with helium balloons.

I am happy to report that our testing at home scaled well to the 100' room. We tested with 1/5 rubber, generally 0.5g of rubber and a 2g stick, flying to 20' at home. This gave us an excellent starting point for the 100' ceiling.

Interestingly, the kids found different solutions to get to 10 minutes. The top flyer had very high pitch, with slow prop RPM and thick rubber. That is also the route I took. However, another kid had fairly low pitch, with higher RPM, and she was beating up the rafters. We kept cutting the rubber thinner and thinner, and she reached within a few seconds of the high pitch kid!

All of the kids used the SO log sheets that we have, and analyzed the data, changing one variable at a time. They progressed from 6-7 minutes to over 10 minutes throughout the weekend.

All of this translates directly to SO. The planes were lighter (3.1g), but the processes to improve are the same. It is amazing to see these planes go up like a rocket, then level out and float on the air.

Coach Chuck

congrats to them! sounded like a lot of fun im glad yall had a good time
honestly, it's not about the medals. go out there and have fun. make progress, learn a few things, have one heck of a time, because that's all that matters.
---
Member of the Builder Cult >:)

Return to “Wright Stuff C”