Wright Stuff C

windu34
Division: Grad
State: FL

Wright Stuff C

Postby windu34 » June 30th, 2018, 10:17 am

Wright Stuff C: Prior to the competition teams design, construct and test free flight rubber-powered monoplanes to achieve maximum time aloft.

Wright Stuff Wiki

Wright Stuff Image Gallery

Past Threads: 2009, 2010, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
Florida State Tournament Director 2020
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Member
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org || windu34's Userpage

Event Supervisor for 2020:
UT Austin - Circuit Lab B/C
Solon - Circuit Lab C
Nationals - Circuit Lab C

terence.tan
Division: C
State: NY

Re: Wright Stuff C

Postby terence.tan » September 5th, 2018, 2:06 pm

When will the freedom flight kit be available?
2017 events: Electric Vehicle, Game On, Robot Arm
2018 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Game On, Mission Possible, Experimental Design, Duct Tape Challenge
2019 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Sounds of Music, Mission Possible, Experimental Design, Wright Stuff, WIDI

coachchuckaahs
Division: B
State: NM

Postby coachchuckaahs » September 5th, 2018, 2:55 pm

Dave usually has them around mid October. I know his design is probably done, and he is working on making parts, completing instructions, etc. I have heard very positive things in terms of early testing for this year, and expect his kit will once again be a good basis for a competitive team.

Coach Chuck

DrDaveV
State: -

Postby DrDaveV » September 11th, 2018, 7:22 pm

I emailed him last week for info and he said he is still testing and they would most likely be ready mid-October.

David

thewaffleguy
State: HI

Postby thewaffleguy » September 13th, 2018, 9:43 pm

Ive been put in this event for my schools science olympiad team and i'm really lost on what to do. Ive never done any flight build events like this or even helicopters and this seems extremely complicated. Anyone have advice on where i can start?
2018: Fermi Questions, Mousetrap Vehicle, Remote Sensing, Towers

2017 Nationals: Wind Power(16), Rotor Egg Drop(20)

nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
State: OH

Postby nicholasmaurer » September 14th, 2018, 7:06 am

thewaffleguy wrote:Ive been put in this event for my schools science olympiad team and i'm really lost on what to do. Ive never done any flight build events like this or even helicopters and this seems extremely complicated. Anyone have advice on where i can start?

If you are completely new to flying events, I would order the standard kit from Freedom Flight Models and construct it per the instructions. This should provide you a basic and reasonable device. Over time, your build quality will improve as you practice constructing balsa devices, and you'll learn to modify the kits to improve them.
Assistant Coach and Alumni ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

retired1
State: FL

Postby retired1 » September 17th, 2018, 6:31 pm

Freedom flight kits are not easy to build for newbies. If your kids are, insist on them reading the instructions twice before cutting or gluing anything. It will build well if they follow the instructions and do not get in a rush. Practice flying is essential for any kit if you want to be in the top 50%.
PS, Dave started taking pre -orders today for Oct deliveries.

coachchuckaahs
State: NM

Postby coachchuckaahs » September 17th, 2018, 8:18 pm

I agree with Retired1, flying is essential. Lots of flying, lots of data.

Dave has a thorough kit, with a lot of flexibility to allow experimentation. This makes it "too complicated" in some minds, but also makes it suitable for improvement. His kits are always in the running when flown a lot. We shared some ideas last year, and I think this year's kits will be greatly improved in terms of strength and warp elimination, at least what I have seen on prototypes.

The key "feature" of Dave's kits is the instructions. Very detailed, including a LOT of detail on how to trim, fly, and improve.

My high school kids have their own design prototype ready to fly tomorrow. I was impressed with their abilities compared to mid school last year. I don't think C division teams will have issues with complexity. I believe from what I have seen Dave has another winner hitting the streets this year.

My teams build their own designs, based on our increasing experience, but mainly because our Region and State are early, in February, so we need to be flying NOW in order to get enough gym time.

Coach Chuck

kinghong1970
State: NJ

Postby kinghong1970 » September 21st, 2018, 4:42 am

Dave’s kits are great.
But for first time builders, definitely get started with easier... and hope that the kids read the instruction or you’ll face similar experience as I have... an airplane designed to go down not up... wings were mounted upside down...

/facepalm...

CrayolaCrayon
State: PA

Postby CrayolaCrayon » September 21st, 2018, 10:16 am

kinghong1970 wrote:Dave’s kits are great.
But for first time builders, definitely get started with easier... and hope that the kids read the instruction or you’ll face similar experience as I have... an airplane designed to go down not up... wings were mounted upside down...

/facepalm...

I also relate. His instructions are invaluable just not to his kits, but to building planes as a whole; it gives you step by step processes that you can do with your own materials, as well.
Wright Stuff National Runner-up 2019

F1D is fun if nothing is breaking

Araluen
State: -

Postby Araluen » September 24th, 2018, 8:01 pm

Like someone else earlier i have been put on a flying event for the first time this year. I was reading through the rules and other outside sources...everyone keeps talking about this action of trimming a plane. What does that mean? From what i've understood, trimming is used to modify the path the actual device will fly through the use of practice flights but i'm not 100% sure.

Unome
State: GA

Postby Unome » September 24th, 2018, 8:11 pm

Araluen wrote:Like someone else earlier i have been put on a flying event for the first time this year. I was reading through the rules and other outside sources...everyone keeps talking about this action of trimming a plane. What does that mean? From what i've understood, trimming is used to modify the path the actual device will fly through the use of practice flights but i'm not 100% sure.

Your understanding is generally accurate. I'm not knowledgeable on the details.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

CrayolaCrayon
State: PA

Postby CrayolaCrayon » September 25th, 2018, 5:50 am

Araluen wrote:Like someone else earlier i have been put on a flying event for the first time this year. I was reading through the rules and other outside sources...everyone keeps talking about this action of trimming a plane. What does that mean? From what i've understood, trimming is used to modify the path the actual device will fly through the use of practice flights but i'm not 100% sure.

Yes; building an amazing airplane will only get you so far. You have to trim by doing multiple test flights, testing one variable at a time (which can be the rudder, wing, where you put clay if applicable, or most importantly, rubber). Of course, there are many more things you can trim, but those were the biggest things I've trimmed over the years. Most of the things on your airplane can be trimmed if you stay within the competition dimensions. You're just changing things on your airplane to the best you can make them within competition standards.

I can not stress enough. KEEP A GOOD FLIGHT LOG. The goal of this event is to learn by testing and seeing what works. From flying events, I can definitely take away that keeping a detailed legit flight log was what led to the greatest advancements in my flying.
Wright Stuff National Runner-up 2019

F1D is fun if nothing is breaking

bjt4888
State: MI

Postby bjt4888 » September 25th, 2018, 6:07 am

Araluen,

Welcome to Wright Stuff. When I was a new coach to this event six years ago, in order to quickly absorb the concepts to add to my 50 year’s experience with indoor model airplanes, I read all past year’s forum posts. You will findthat this does not take as long as it sounds as you will see pretty quickly that most “pages” of posts contain only one or a few substantive posts from those experienced with the event.

I and a number of other experienced model airplane flyers, coaches and students have posted in previous year’s WS forums a significant amount of info about building, trimming, rubber and prop selection and modification; including pictures.

Of course, continue to post questions here for assistance. Good luck and have fun with aerospace engineering.

Brian T
AMA since 1968 ( off and on)

jlordhe
State: CA

Postby jlordhe » September 25th, 2018, 9:15 pm

Wright Stuff sounds interesting, but my building skills suck...rip
Events I Might Do and Want to Do: Fossils, Wright Stuff, Herpetology, Water Quality, Boomilever

Return to “Wright Stuff C”