SluffAndRuff
Division: B
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wright Stuff C

Post by SluffAndRuff »

bjt4888 wrote:Sluffandruff,

The FF kit supplier was getting over 1 minute with 1/3 motors of his supplied .094" rubber.

This would translate to approximately 3+ minute flights.

Of course, with good testing of better prop and rubber combinations, more duration should be possible.

Brian T
Good to know, thank you!
()_]_[___]_[_/_]..... .. .. ... . . .
()'''''''''''''''''''''
bjt4888
Division: C
State: MI

Post by bjt4888 »

The Freedom Flight kit’s excellent instructions has good information about customizing a propeller for improved performance.
klastyioer
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by klastyioer »

bjt4888 wrote:Klast,

See Jeff Anderson’s post of helpful links on the previous page. Especially the propeller info for the My Way penny plane on page 87 of the middle link.

For a more efficient propeller forming method see the INAV120 F1L propeller article or the Hobby Shopper EZB article, also both linked in Jeff’s post.

Always good to read the entire wiki to see if your question has already been answered.

Brian T.
AMA since 1968

Hi Brian,

Could you send me the link to that? I have yet to find it... sorry if it's inconvenient for you.

Thanks,
klastyioer
it's not about the medals; go out there and have fun. make progress, learn a few things and have one heck of a time; that's all that matters.

Check out Klastyioer's Userpage!
klastyioer

Post by klastyioer »

jlordhe wrote:Wright Stuff sounds interesting, but my building skills suck...rip
that's alright, give it a spin. i have extremely shaky hands but i am a builder and only a builder. do what you love and what you're passionate about. it'll lead to some real good stuff in the future.
it's not about the medals; go out there and have fun. make progress, learn a few things and have one heck of a time; that's all that matters.

klastyioer

Post by klastyioer »

DarkSparklyUnicorn wrote:How do you all transport your planes? I have been using cardboard chip boxes (30 pack lays) with supports for the past few years of helicopter, but I'm not sure that they are appropriate for wright stuff. I have seen the f1d style travel boxes, but I do not have the tools to make something with that level of woodworking. Pictures of your solutions would be appreciated.
back at my middle school, we would use old science kit boxes which were just big plastic boxes with snap on lids. to secure the plane parts, we would use foam blocks that are glued to the bottom of the box and stick the pieces in there. at my high school, we use a passed down box with all the contributors name on it. it has foam board at the bottom to prevent for any pieces of wood sticking out to damage the plane.

klastyioer

Post by klastyioer »

klastyioer wrote:

See Jeff Anderson’s post of helpful links on the previous page. Especially the propeller info for the My Way penny plane on page 87 of the middle link.

For a more efficient propeller forming method see the INAV120 F1L propeller article or the Hobby Shopper EZB article, also both linked in Jeff’s post.

Always good to read the entire wiki to see if your question has already been answered.

Brian T.
AMA since 1968

Hi Brian,

Could you send me the link to that? I have yet to find it... sorry if it's inconvenient for you.

Thanks,
klastyioer

never mind i found it thanks!

bjt4888

Post by bjt4888 »

Klast,

Good job. If you have questions as you read the material in the links from Jeff Anderson’s post and construct propellers definitely go ahead and ask them here.

Brian T
klastyioer

Post by klastyioer »

Good job. If you have questions as you read the material in the links from Jeff Anderson’s post and construct propellers definitely go ahead and ask them here.

Brian T
so how exactly would you make it so that the blades are exactly the same curve wise?

bjt4888

Post by bjt4888 »

Klast,

By “curvewise” are you referring to the airfoil shape across the width of the blade (referred to as the chord of the blade)? Or, are referring to the twist of the blade along its span, which effectively adjusts the blade angle at the particular blade radius relative to the free stream of air flowing over the blade. This blade angle at any particular radius is called the blade pitch angle.

Brian T.
klastyioer

Post by klastyioer »

By “curvewise” are you referring to the airfoil shape across the width of the blade (referred to as the chord of the blade)? Or, are referring to the twist of the blade along its span, which effectively adjusts the blade angle at the particular blade radius relative to the free stream of air flowing over the blade. This blade angle at any particular radius is called the blade pitch angle.

Brian T.
so we are aiming for using non-ribbed plastic cups from old bottles and such. we are just wondering that the place in which you cut out the blades will change the curve of individual blades.

Return to “Wright Stuff C”