Wright Stuff C

thewaffleguy
Division: C
State: HI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wright Stuff C

Post by thewaffleguy »

as a first timer with wright stuff and flying events in general, would it be better to get the senior flyer or the kit from freedom flight
2018: Fermi Questions, Mousetrap Vehicle, Remote Sensing, Towers

2017 Nationals: Wind Power(16), Rotor Egg Drop(20)
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

thewaffleguy wrote:as a first timer with wright stuff and flying events in general, would it be better to get the senior flyer or the kit from freedom flight
The Senior Flyer involves making propellers while the Freedom Flight kit comes with already made Ikara propellers. Making propellers is a useful skill and can allow more freedom with design but it adds another step to the construction process.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Dinoswarleafs

Post by Dinoswarleafs »

Hey.

It's my last year of high school so I'm mixing it up and going with a build event. It was either this one or mousetrap vehicle and boy oh boy does that other event look impossible for a beginner.

My school is going to an invitational in 2 weeks and I only now am starting on this event. Uh ohhh. To make matters worse this is my first build event and I have the hand eye coordination of a drunk koala bear. I've been reading this year's thread and last year's and it seems the best option for me is to either order from laser cut planes or the freedom kit. Does anyone have advice on which is better, especially with the short time constraint? If it is laser cut planes which model should I get?

Thanks. This looks like fun but I'm pretty I'll get my face pounded in for this first meet
CrayolaCrayon
State: PA

Post by CrayolaCrayon »

Dinoswarleafs wrote:Hey.

It's my last year of high school so I'm mixing it up and going with a build event. It was either this one or mousetrap vehicle and boy oh boy does that other event look impossible for a beginner.

My school is going to an invitational in 2 weeks and I only now am starting on this event. Uh ohhh. To make matters worse this is my first build event and I have the hand eye coordination of a drunk koala bear. I've been reading this year's thread and last year's and it seems the best option for me is to either order from laser cut planes or the freedom kit. Does anyone have advice on which is better, especially with the short time constraint? If it is laser cut planes which model should I get?

Thanks. This looks like fun but I'm pretty I'll get my face pounded in for this first meet
I wouldn't rush construction on a plane; I personally think Freedom Flight is better for beginners because of the instructions that come with it. I'd spend your time trying to build the highest quality plane you can produce, and then, if you can trim, I'd trim for the remaining time you have; but don't rush building a plane. Don't let an invitational be a time constraint for you IMO; it's just an invitational.
MIT '25
MIT Wright Stuff ES '22
BirdSO Wright Stuff ES '22
Nesh

Post by Nesh »

I went from middle school science olympiad to high school science olympiad. This means that instead of division B Wright Stuff, I'm doing division C Wright Stuff. I just wanted to ask if there was a difference between division B and division C Wright Stuff, and I also wanted to ask what the difference is between this year and last year and how it affects us.

Thanks, Nesh
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Nesh wrote:I went from middle school science olympiad to high school science olympiad. This means that instead of division B Wright Stuff, I'm doing division C Wright Stuff. I just wanted to ask if there was a difference between division B and division C Wright Stuff, and I also wanted to ask what the difference is between this year and last year and how it affects us.

Thanks, Nesh
There is likely minimal difference - historically the Div B and Div C incarnations haven't been significantly different. I don't know the details of the current rules though.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: NM

Post by coachchuckaahs »

Nesh:

Every year, regardless of division, the rules change, in part for new challenges, and in part to prevent using the same plane two years in a row.

I coach both divisions, so I get to see the similarities and differences. This year's wing is narrower than last year, but the tail group is unspecified. It does say the wing is defined as the "single largest surface", thus I would be safe and make the tail "measurably" smaller than the wing. Some kits are visibly smaller, some are closer to a true tandem.

The prop is also not limited, nor is the rubber. This opens up a whole new world of optimization compared to last year. Even last year we spent most of our over 400 flights testing props and rubber, and it will even be more so this year. We are still exploring prop sizes and total rubber load at a very high level, taking big swings each week, and learning a lot with each test flight. I suspect, like last year, we will have over 30 props when all is said and done.

Your construction techniques form last year will carry over nicely. Build a decent plane, take notes (log book), and start flying!

Coach Chuck
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records
noah.blome21
State: IL

Post by noah.blome21 »

Coach Chuck, What times are you getting this year and what are you expecting to get?
TheChiScientist
State: IL
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by TheChiScientist »

Given that most people are using the kits it would seem that anywhere between 3:30-5:00 mins is possible. :P
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: NM

Post by coachchuckaahs »

It strongly depends on the gym height. Our Regions is 30', I expect well over 3 minutes. Our State is 19', I expect we may be 2-2.5 minutes. I have seen reports of as high as 4 minutes (without a lot of testing) in much higher (40+) ceilings. We are only starting to test, tried a new prop tonight, was a bust but shows some promise. We'll rebuild it for next session, try again.

I think the low ceiling is an interesting challenge, a lot more testing and optimization than letting it rip in a super high site. Will be looking forward to seeing what the facility is at Nationals. Hoping for 25' again.

Our Radio Control club has 2 indoor nights a month. My kids started flying rubber with them last year. They would all land when the kids were ready to fly. Tonight, 6 other men showed up with various rubber planes, including A6's, LPP's, a bipe, a scale model, some PA-18's, and another SO model from last year. All inspired by seeing my kids fly WS and Heli last year!

Coach Chuck
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records

Return to “Wright Stuff C”