Wright Stuff C

windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Wright Stuff C

Post by windu34 »

Wright Stuff C: Prior to the competition teams design, construct and test free flight rubber-powered monoplanes to achieve maximum time aloft.

Wright Stuff Wiki

Wright Stuff Image Gallery

Past Threads: 2009, 2010, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
terence.tan
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wright Stuff C

Post by terence.tan »

When will the freedom flight kit be available?
2017 events: Electric Vehicle, Game On, Robot Arm
2018 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Game On, Mission Possible, ExpD, Duct Tape Challenge
2019 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Sounds of Music, Mission Possible, ExpD, Wright Stuff, WIDI
2020 events: Gravity Vehicle. ExpD, WIDI, Sounds of Music, Machines
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: NM

Post by coachchuckaahs »

Dave usually has them around mid October. I know his design is probably done, and he is working on making parts, completing instructions, etc. I have heard very positive things in terms of early testing for this year, and expect his kit will once again be a good basis for a competitive team.

Coach Chuck
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records
DrDaveV

Post by DrDaveV »

I emailed him last week for info and he said he is still testing and they would most likely be ready mid-October.

David
thewaffleguy
State: HI

Post by thewaffleguy »

Ive been put in this event for my schools science olympiad team and i'm really lost on what to do. Ive never done any flight build events like this or even helicopters and this seems extremely complicated. Anyone have advice on where i can start?
2018: Fermi Questions, Mousetrap Vehicle, Remote Sensing, Towers

2017 Nationals: Wind Power(16), Rotor Egg Drop(20)
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
State: OH

Post by nicholasmaurer »

thewaffleguy wrote:Ive been put in this event for my schools science olympiad team and i'm really lost on what to do. Ive never done any flight build events like this or even helicopters and this seems extremely complicated. Anyone have advice on where i can start?
If you are completely new to flying events, I would order the standard kit from Freedom Flight Models and construct it per the instructions. This should provide you a basic and reasonable device. Over time, your build quality will improve as you practice constructing balsa devices, and you'll learn to modify the kits to improve them.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
retired1
State: FL

Post by retired1 »

Freedom flight kits are not easy to build for newbies. If your kids are, insist on them reading the instructions twice before cutting or gluing anything. It will build well if they follow the instructions and do not get in a rush. Practice flying is essential for any kit if you want to be in the top 50%.
PS, Dave started taking pre -orders today for Oct deliveries.
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach
State: NM

Post by coachchuckaahs »

I agree with Retired1, flying is essential. Lots of flying, lots of data.

Dave has a thorough kit, with a lot of flexibility to allow experimentation. This makes it "too complicated" in some minds, but also makes it suitable for improvement. His kits are always in the running when flown a lot. We shared some ideas last year, and I think this year's kits will be greatly improved in terms of strength and warp elimination, at least what I have seen on prototypes.

The key "feature" of Dave's kits is the instructions. Very detailed, including a LOT of detail on how to trim, fly, and improve.

My high school kids have their own design prototype ready to fly tomorrow. I was impressed with their abilities compared to mid school last year. I don't think C division teams will have issues with complexity. I believe from what I have seen Dave has another winner hitting the streets this year.

My teams build their own designs, based on our increasing experience, but mainly because our Region and State are early, in February, so we need to be flying NOW in order to get enough gym time.

Coach Chuck
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records
kinghong1970
State: NJ

Post by kinghong1970 »

Dave’s kits are great.
But for first time builders, definitely get started with easier... and hope that the kids read the instruction or you’ll face similar experience as I have... an airplane designed to go down not up... wings were mounted upside down...

/facepalm...
CrayolaCrayon
State: PA

Post by CrayolaCrayon »

kinghong1970 wrote:Dave’s kits are great.
But for first time builders, definitely get started with easier... and hope that the kids read the instruction or you’ll face similar experience as I have... an airplane designed to go down not up... wings were mounted upside down...

/facepalm...

I also relate. His instructions are invaluable just not to his kits, but to building planes as a whole; it gives you step by step processes that you can do with your own materials, as well.
MIT '25
MIT Wright Stuff ES '22
BirdSO Wright Stuff ES '22

Return to “Wright Stuff C”