Re: Wright Stuff C

Post by jsegal »

we got 5th place cornell and we didn't use a flaring prop
CrayolaCrayon
Division: C
State: PA

Post by CrayolaCrayon »

Flaring props will give better times in lower ceilings.
MIT '25
MIT Wright Stuff ES '22
BirdSO Wright Stuff ES '22
Airco2020
Has thanked: 0

Post by Airco2020 »

When I built the kit I followed all the instructions on wing setup. I had left wing wash in on the main wing. Over time the wing has "warped" and now needs modification. On the main wing, both trailing edges are lower than the leading edges at the ends of the wing. I've messed around with the support struts but that doesn't do it. Is there a technique to "Re-warp" a wing? Could I slightly dampen the balsa, attach it to a form, and let it dry? Will that work or will it damage my wing?

The plane is still flying well except during the initial high torque take off. It wants to fly straight for a long way and then it starts to circle. It didn't do this before so I'm thinking it has to do with the wing changing shape a bit. Any ideas would be great.
CrayolaCrayon

Post by CrayolaCrayon »

Airco2020 wrote:When I built the kit I followed all the instructions on wing setup. I had left wing wash in on the main wing. Over time the wing has "warped" and now needs modification. On the main wing, both trailing edges are lower than the leading edges at the ends of the wing. I've messed around with the support struts but that doesn't do it. Is there a technique to "Re-warp" a wing? Could I slightly dampen the balsa, attach it to a form, and let it dry? Will that work or will it damage my wing?

The plane is still flying well except during the initial high torque take off. It wants to fly straight for a long way and then it starts to circle. It didn't do this before so I'm thinking it has to do with the wing changing shape a bit. Any ideas would be great.

Have you tried acetoning the strut, adding a warp to the wing, and re-gluing (would have to be very careful not to undo any mylar or ribs however)?
MIT '25
MIT Wright Stuff ES '22
Airco2020

Post by Airco2020 »

CrayolaCrayon wrote:
Airco2020 wrote:

Have you tried acetoning the strut, adding a warp to the wing, and re-gluing (would have to be very careful not to undo any mylar or ribs however)?

Yes, I tried resetting the struts but it doesn't have a big enough effect on the end of the wing to eliminate the wash in on the right side of the wing.
klastyioer
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by klastyioer »

Airco2020 wrote:
CrayolaCrayon wrote:
Airco2020 wrote:

Yes, I tried resetting the struts but it doesn't have a big enough effect on the end of the wing to eliminate the wash in on the right side of the wing.
so ur issue is that its not turning at initial start
meaning do you want a smaller circle?
it's not about the medals; go out there and have fun. make progress, learn a few things and have one heck of a time; that's all that matters.

Check out Klastyioer's Userpage!
Airco2020

Post by Airco2020 »

klastyioer wrote:
Airco2020 wrote:
CrayolaCrayon wrote:

Better circle at the start. Yes. Once it gets going it circles fine. If we launch with .3lbs/in or more it flies straight for 30 - 40 ft before turning.
klastyioer
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by klastyioer »

Airco2020 wrote:
klastyioer wrote:
Airco2020 wrote:

Better circle at the start. Yes. Once it gets going it circles fine. If we launch with .3lbs/in or more it flies straight for 30 - 40 ft before turning.
maybe just tilting the stab more or adding another turn factor will help
it's not about the medals; go out there and have fun. make progress, learn a few things and have one heck of a time; that's all that matters.

Check out Klastyioer's Userpage!
CrayolaCrayon

Post by CrayolaCrayon »

Airco2020 wrote:
klastyioer wrote:
Airco2020 wrote:

How much offset do you have (out of curiosity)?
MIT '25
MIT Wright Stuff ES '22
Airco2020

Post by Airco2020 »

CrayolaCrayon wrote:
Airco2020 wrote:
klastyioer wrote:
How much offset do you have (out of curiosity)?
When you say offset do you mean shifting of the wing to the left of the plane? If so, both wing and stab are about 1/8" to the left...about 2 rib widths.

Return to “Wright Stuff C”