Wright Stuff C

CrayolaCrayon
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Wright Stuff C

Postby CrayolaCrayon » January 14th, 2019, 2:40 pm

The state competition for Indiana usually holds its aerial events in an indoor football field with about 80 ft of height. My high school gym does not come close to reaching that height. As such, are there any techniques I should use when test flying in my gym that will allow me to prepare well for state? I'm aware of the half motor testing and I intend to test that out. Other than that, should I be concerned with finding the max flight time in my gym, or should I focus on finding trends in my data and utilize those trends at state?

Thanks
Could you describe your gym you are using right now?
What does it look like? What are the obstructions?
Wright Stuff National Runner-up 2019
USA F1D Team 2020

coachchuckaahs
Division: B
State: NM

Postby coachchuckaahs » January 14th, 2019, 4:32 pm

I do not know why event organizers think that an 80' ceiling is a good idea for the tournament. While it can be fun, it definitely is an advantage for those with a tall place to test, vs. the "normal" high school gym. In addition, with this year's rules, an 80' ceiling could lead to times that make it impossible to get a second flight in the 8 minute window.

That said, using half rubber you will still max your times. For 80', if you only have 20-25' locally, use 1/4 rubber, and work on hitting 20' and maximize your time. Multiply height and time to get good estimate of full ceiling results.

ELG, on the other hand, there are no good options for short-ceiling similitude.

Coach Chuck
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 2 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D

pikachu4919
Division: Grad
State: IN

Postby pikachu4919 » January 14th, 2019, 5:00 pm

The state competition for Indiana usually holds its aerial events in an indoor football field with about 80 ft of height. My high school gym does not come close to reaching that height. As such, are there any techniques I should use when test flying in my gym that will allow me to prepare well for state? I'm aware of the half motor testing and I intend to test that out. Other than that, should I be concerned with finding the max flight time in my gym, or should I focus on finding trends in my data and utilize those trends at state?

Thanks
Could you describe your gym you are using right now?
What does it look like? What are the obstructions?
I do not know why event organizers think that an 80' ceiling is a good idea for the tournament. While it can be fun, it definitely is an advantage for those with a tall place to test, vs. the "normal" high school gym. In addition, with this year's rules, an 80' ceiling could lead to times that make it impossible to get a second flight in the 8 minute window.

That said, using half rubber you will still max your times. For 80', if you only have 20-25' locally, use 1/4 rubber, and work on hitting 20' and maximize your time. Multiply height and time to get good estimate of full ceiling results.

ELG, on the other hand, there are no good options for short-ceiling similitude.

Coach Chuck
The venue that Polar is speaking of is Mellencamp Pavilion at IU Bloomington. It is an insanely large venue that's also a literal mile away from the rest of the events at our state tournament. Then again they also run every single flight event in that one space throughout the entire day. I think Tom Sanders def has a lot to do with that, I am not sure of the exact internal reasons for it tho.

Here's a sort-of pic of the inside that I found on Wikipedia:
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BiolE '20
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

Not throwin' away my shot!
MY CABBAGES!

pikachu4919's Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Rate my tests!

Polar

Postby Polar » January 14th, 2019, 6:00 pm

Yep Pikachu's reply is correct: I am referring to Mellencamp Pavilion. The extreme height will definitely change the dynamics. I will be sure to use half motor testing to try and reach the max height of my gym and scaling it to predict my times at MP.

Thanks

klastyioer

Postby klastyioer » January 14th, 2019, 6:12 pm

Yep Pikachu's reply is correct: I am referring to Mellencamp Pavilion. The extreme height will definitely change the dynamics. I will be sure to use half motor testing to try and reach the max height of my gym and scaling it to predict my times at MP.

Thanks
do you think you could get in a local gym or indoor field like that to fly? also i feel like teams would be in the same position as u but if u wanna keep cranking out times, try to get a public place to test in alone
it's not about the medals; go out there and have fun. make progress, learn a few things, have one heck of a time, because that's all that matters.

Builder Cult >:)

'17 - Towers, WS, rocks
'18 - Towers, WS, Mystery Arch, road
'19 - WS
'20 - WS, Boomilever, PPP

cheesecake

Postby cheesecake » January 14th, 2019, 7:57 pm

The times will be strongly influenced by ceiling height, so if reporting times report that as well.

Why would you consider touches as "cheating"? in a girdered facility, or with hanging lights, touches may result in a stuck plane. IN a smooth ceiling, if the room is large enough for potential redirection after a touch, why not touch? A no-touch is a thing of beauty, but in low ceiling (20') with smooth ceiling, it may be a necessity.

Coach Chuck

I agree about planes grazing on smooth ceiling with no redirection is definitely okay. But I've seen kids deliberately launching at high torque in ceilings with girders and other obstructions, hoping the plane would not get stuck and the'd get a better time. Many of them end up stuck.

klastyioer

Postby klastyioer » January 15th, 2019, 6:10 am

The times will be strongly influenced by ceiling height, so if reporting times report that as well.

Why would you consider touches as "cheating"? in a girdered facility, or with hanging lights, touches may result in a stuck plane. IN a smooth ceiling, if the room is large enough for potential redirection after a touch, why not touch? A no-touch is a thing of beauty, but in low ceiling (20') with smooth ceiling, it may be a necessity.

Coach Chuck

I agree about planes grazing on smooth ceiling with no redirection is definitely okay. But I've seen kids deliberately launching at high torque in ceilings with girders and other obstructions, hoping the plane would not get stuck and the'd get a better time. Many of them end up stuck.
yea i can see that happening so try to avoid doing so unless you know itll work. try your best to get in a facility like that, if you cant, just try what you would normally do at practice the day of comp, but before ur time slot (i doubt itll get stuck if youre practicing in a gym incomparable to that size) and see if you can get it to stay up there a bit longer. remember, getting your plane to work and get a decent time is better than getting it stuck mid flight
it's not about the medals; go out there and have fun. make progress, learn a few things, have one heck of a time, because that's all that matters.

Builder Cult >:)

'17 - Towers, WS, rocks
'18 - Towers, WS, Mystery Arch, road
'19 - WS
'20 - WS, Boomilever, PPP

Rossyspsce

Postby Rossyspsce » January 15th, 2019, 7:05 am

Just to clarify, the only bonus this year is one panel being colored black right?

Polar

Postby Polar » January 15th, 2019, 8:10 am

Klasty,

I am not aware of any local facilities that contain a ceiling that matches Mellencamp's height. Though I do believe Mellencamp is open the day before the state competition for anyone who wants to arrive at state a day early and test fly.

Polar

Postby Polar » January 15th, 2019, 8:11 am

Just to clarify, the only bonus this year is one panel being colored black right?
That is one bonus. There is another bonus for launching your first flight within 3 minutes of the start of your Preflight Period. See the rules for further information.

Return to “Wright Stuff C”