Wright Stuff C

klastyioer
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Wright Stuff C

Postby klastyioer » February 7th, 2019, 6:21 am

Suggestion, if you are making significant mods to Ikara props, but struggling with weight, it may be time to think about making your own props from balsa blades. You can tailor the properties and achieve significant weight reductions, 1 gram props are very doable.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
how do you know which prop block to use?
it's not about the medals; go out there and have fun. make progress, learn a few things, have one heck of a time, because that's all that matters.

Builder Cult >:)

'17 - Towers, WS, rocks
'18 - Towers, WS, Mystery Arch, road
'19 - WS
'20 - WS, Boomilever, PPP

sciolywin

Postby sciolywin » February 8th, 2019, 6:18 am

I recently have finished building my plane and decreased the weight by half, and I have also adjusted the angle of attacks as well, but my plane keeps stalling and is not catching enough lift for it to fly in the air. Is there anything I can do to increase the life and thrust so that it can fly for longer periods of time? Additionally, it is very unstable when it is flying, and I am worried that I have done something wrong in my build. Can someone help me?

klastyioer

Postby klastyioer » February 8th, 2019, 7:27 am

I recently have finished building my plane and decreased the weight by half, and I have also adjusted the angle of attacks as well, but my plane keeps stalling and is not catching enough lift for it to fly in the air. Is there anything I can do to increase the life and thrust so that it can fly for longer periods of time? Additionally, it is very unstable when it is flying, and I am worried that I have done something wrong in my build. Can someone help me?
could you send me a vid of the plane flying and any rubber, prop, post details?
it's not about the medals; go out there and have fun. make progress, learn a few things, have one heck of a time, because that's all that matters.

'17 - Towers, WS, rocks
'19 - WS

CrayolaCrayon

Postby CrayolaCrayon » February 8th, 2019, 7:47 am

What current rubber are you using?

You can increase lift through the increase of wing incidence, or you can adjust the elevator downwards to also give an upward climb.
Wright Stuff National Runner-up 2019
USA F1D 2020 Team

jander14indoor

Postby jander14indoor » February 8th, 2019, 8:06 am

[quote="klastyioer"}how do you know which prop block to use?[/quote]

Couple of choices.
You CAN make a variable pitch prop block, complicated, but doable.
What I do is make a couple varying over the range of interest, they don't take long. Indoor planes typically use P/D ratios in the 1.4 to 1.6 range. Make up a bunch of blades, select the P/D closest to the prop you are trying and just use it. Minor variations from ideal aren't real critical.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI

klastyioer

Postby klastyioer » February 8th, 2019, 10:57 am

[quote="klastyioer"}how do you know which prop block to use?
Couple of choices.
You CAN make a variable pitch prop block, complicated, but doable.
What I do is make a couple varying over the range of interest, they don't take long. Indoor planes typically use P/D ratios in the 1.4 to 1.6 range. Make up a bunch of blades, select the P/D closest to the prop you are trying and just use it. Minor variations from ideal aren't real critical.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI[/quote]

alright thank you
which wood grain would you usually use for props? i dont quite remember, but is it b?

'17 - Towers, WS, rocks
'19 - WS

Rossyspsce

Postby Rossyspsce » February 11th, 2019, 2:17 pm

I remember seeing something ab graphing torque and breaking point for a specific batch of rubber written by one of the information gods, bjt maybe? Does anyone know where it is or if you're the on that wrote it do you mind explaining it again or sending me a link to the original post?

DarthBuilder
Division: Grad
State: IL

Postby DarthBuilder » February 12th, 2019, 4:33 am

If I try to glide my plane with the prop it nosedives. I tried changing angle of incidence but still nosedives and my CG is in the same spot as the last plane. What do you guys think so I can try to get it to stall and glide properly?
Deleted

klastyioer

Postby klastyioer » February 12th, 2019, 5:24 am

If I try to glide my plane with the prop it nosedives. I tried changing angle of incidence but still nosedives and my CG is in the same spot as the last plane. What do you guys think so I can try to get it to stall and glide properly?
what do ur stab posts look like

'17 - Towers, WS, rocks
'19 - WS

jander14indoor

Postby jander14indoor » February 12th, 2019, 5:50 am

Probably me who recommended testing rubber batches (though I'd NEVER call myself a god, just ask my wife or kids!). Multiple times over the years. Again this year in one of the strings, search for hysteresis maybe, although not sure how consistently I spell that.

Glide testing with prop. Do you have the motor wound slightly so the prop is turning? Not enough to give lift, just enough to reduce drag. If you glide test with a completely unwound motor you WILL get a dive due to the high drag the prop causes.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI

Return to “Wright Stuff C”