I was wondering about xiangyu

Chuck

klastyioer
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Wright Stuff C

Postby klastyioer » April 28th, 2019, 11:19 am

big rip my b
it's not about the medals; go out there and have fun. make progress, learn a few things, have one heck of a time, because that's all that matters.

Builder Cult >:)

'17 - Towers, WS, rocks
'18 - Towers, WS, Mystery Arch, road
'19 - WS
'20 - WS, Boomilever, WIDI, PPP

xiangyu
State: MI

Postby xiangyu » April 28th, 2019, 12:47 pm

So, how did you do at state?

Coach Chuck
We got 12th with 2:12 in a 24 ft gym. Not great, but the new batch of rubber kinda messed us up a little. However, I will admit that I should've sent up my second flight with more torque since it doesn't really matter if it hit ceiling and break anymore and that probably could've gotten my time up (My second flight got 2:02 since it only climbed like halfway as I decreased too much torque since I was worried about hitting ceiling for some reason). Nevertheless, I feel pretty good since this is my first year doing flying events and it's been fun.

Thanks so much for your's and everyone else's help with this event, it's been really fun and I look forward to doing it again next year! ;)
2019 Events:

State/Reg

Fermi Questions: 4/6
Wright Stuff: 12/12
Mousetrap Vehicle: 19/10
Mission Possible: --/12
Boomilever: 21/20
Dynamic Planet: 19/7

East Grand Rapids High School, Michigan

klastyioer

Postby klastyioer » April 28th, 2019, 12:49 pm

So, how did you do at state?

Coach Chuck
We got 12th with 2:12 in a 24 ft gym. Not great, but the new batch of rubber kinda messed us up a little. However, I will admit that I should've sent up my second flight with more torque since it doesn't really matter if it hit ceiling and break anymore and that probably could've gotten my time up (My second flight got 2:02 as I was worried about hitting ceiling for some reason). Nevertheless, I feel pretty good since this is my first year doing flying events and it's been fun.

Thanks so much for your's and everyone else's help with this event, it's been really fun and I look forward to doing it again next year! ;)
hey no problem you did amazing, 2+ mins is a good place to be at right now. you sure showed thru at this comp, best of luck next year
it's not about the medals; go out there and have fun. make progress, learn a few things, have one heck of a time, because that's all that matters.

'17 - Towers, WS, rocks
'19 - WS

bjt4888

Postby bjt4888 » April 28th, 2019, 1:30 pm

Proud of my student’s results yesterday. The four high schools that I coach got 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 6th in Wright Stuff at Michigan States.

The gym was good (old gym with good air and about 90 ft x 100 ft floor space and slightly peaked ceiling) and the event supervisors and timers outstanding (several were Michigan State University professors). Listed ceiling height was 27 ft, but actually 24’ 6” to the bottom of the beam at the peak and 21’ 11” at a 50 ft diameter circle on center. Beams were big, broad, flat faced I-beams and were unforgiving; best to fly no-touch. Effectively, we had to fly At 21 ft to be safe as there was was a gentle drift that carried the long flights about 30 ft across the room.

I will share some details and our times after Nationals.

Brian T

coachchuckaahs
Division: B
State: NM

Postby coachchuckaahs » April 28th, 2019, 1:56 pm

Great job, Brian and Xiangyu. Low ceiling flying is technically challenging, more so than high ceilings. I understand the Michigan States are always some of the toughest flying competition in the country.

Coach Chuck

sciencegirl03

Postby sciencegirl03 » April 28th, 2019, 6:36 pm

Proud of my student’s results yesterday. The four high schools that I coach got 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 6th in Wright Stuff at Michigan States.

The gym was good (old gym with good air and about 90 ft x 100 ft floor space and slightly peaked ceiling) and the event supervisors and timers outstanding (several were Michigan State University professors). Listed ceiling height was 27 ft, but actually 24’ 6” to the bottom of the beam at the peak and 21’ 11” at a 50 ft diameter circle on center. Beams were big, broad, flat faced I-beams and were unforgiving; best to fly no-touch. Effectively, we had to fly At 21 ft to be safe as there was was a gentle drift that carried the long flights about 30 ft across the room.

Brian T
Those were some good flights by your top 3 teams Coach Bjt!
I enjoyed watching them.
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill
you already know what Murphy's law is...

klastyioer

Postby klastyioer » April 29th, 2019, 4:00 am

Brian T
congrats bjt!!!

'17 - Towers, WS, rocks
'19 - WS

bjt4888

Postby bjt4888 » April 29th, 2019, 6:25 am

Coachchuck, Sciencegirl and Klas,

On behalf of my students, thanks much for the congrats. As all three of you have direct understanding of the level of effort required to excel in WS, your notes mean a lot to me and my students.

Sciencegirl,

Great job to you too at States. Your flight was impressive and a top level contribution to your team’s overall result.

Brian T

klastyioer

Postby klastyioer » April 29th, 2019, 6:38 am

Coachchuck, Sciencegirl and Klas,

On behalf of my students, thanks much for the congrats. As all three of you have direct understanding of the level of effort required to excel in WS, your notes mean a lot to me and my students.

Sciencegirl,

Great job to you too at States. Your flight was impressive and a top level contribution to your team’s overall result.

Brian T
anytime, cant wait to see you at nats, best of luck on behalf of your teams!

'17 - Towers, WS, rocks
'19 - WS

bjt4888

Postby bjt4888 » April 29th, 2019, 12:53 pm

K,

Thanks again. My teams and I won’t be at Nats, but good luck for your team at Cornell.

Brian

klastyioer

Postby klastyioer » April 29th, 2019, 5:05 pm

K,

Thanks again. My teams and I won’t be at Nats, but good luck for your team at Cornell.

Brian
thanks!

'17 - Towers, WS, rocks
'19 - WS

klastyioer

Postby klastyioer » May 5th, 2019, 1:19 pm

has anyone else had like defects in their 1lb box of 1/16 sports tan rubber? there has been like a divot like shape almost like if you were to look at the blade sharpening diagram for skates in multiple sections of my rubber. its also been having like slight pink shades to it in some areas?

'17 - Towers, WS, rocks
'19 - WS

bjt4888

Postby bjt4888 » May 5th, 2019, 3:23 pm

K,

My experience with Tan SS is that there can often be imperfections like slight bulges or thin spots. From the best batch we used this year, I was seeing an imperfection like this every 5 or 10 feet. Only a couple of these imperfections caused any issue as the thick spots would not go through the rubber slitter.

We wound motors with imperfections repeatedly to very high torque without any issues though.

Brian T

klastyioer

Postby klastyioer » May 5th, 2019, 4:41 pm

K,

My experience with Tan SS is that there can often be imperfections like slight bulges or thin spots. From the best batch we used this year, I was seeing an imperfection like this every 5 or 10 feet. Only a couple of these imperfections caused any issue as the thick spots would not go through the rubber slitter.

We wound motors with imperfections repeatedly to very high torque without any issues though.

Brian T
okay cool thanks for letting me know

'17 - Towers, WS, rocks
'19 - WS

Return to “Wright Stuff C”