Wright Stuff C

Locked
bjt4888
Member
Member
Posts: 651
Joined: June 16th, 2013, 12:35 pm
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Wright Stuff C

Post by bjt4888 » May 19th, 2019, 3:51 pm

Balsa,

We generally start testing by selecting a conservative CG based upon the neutral point and a slightly excessive decalage angle (difference between the wing and stabilizer incidence angles). We fly this setup, maybe slightly reducing wing incidence if stalling, with a variety of propellers (usually increasing pitch gradually) and a variety of rubber densities andmotor lengths. Once we have this trim setup flying well, we will start pushing the CG back till stalling (or,intense case of this year’s tandem, mushing and wandering) and then move the CG jus forward of this point or reduce the wing incidence, or try both adjustments separately on different flights.

We continue iterations of the above till changes stop increasing duration or till too unstable to survive air disturbances or ceiling hits.

Good luck and have fun at Nationals.

Brian T

BalsaFerret
Member
Member
Posts: 28
Joined: February 6th, 2019, 4:35 am
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wright Stuff C

Post by BalsaFerret » May 19th, 2019, 8:38 pm

bjt4888 wrote:Balsa,

We generally start testing by selecting a conservative CG based upon the neutral point and a slightly excessive decalage angle (difference between the wing and stabilizer incidence angles). We fly this setup, maybe slightly reducing wing incidence if stalling, with a variety of propellers (usually increasing pitch gradually) and a variety of rubber densities andmotor lengths. Once we have this trim setup flying well, we will start pushing the CG back till stalling (or,intense case of this year’s tandem, mushing and wandering) and then move the CG jus forward of this point or reduce the wing incidence, or try both adjustments separately on different flights.

We continue iterations of the above till changes stop increasing duration or till too unstable to survive air disturbances or ceiling hits.

Good luck and have fun at Nationals.

Brian T
Thanks, Brian for clarifying my questions with your own practices, I really appreciate it. I'll apply these in my upcoming, short but important flying sessions.

Though, I was wondering how you calculate the NP - do you have a special spreadsheet just to calculate it because I've seen some people use calculators to find the NP and SSM, but I can't seem to find one that works or don't know how to make one myself?

bjt4888
Member
Member
Posts: 651
Joined: June 16th, 2013, 12:35 pm
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Wright Stuff C

Post by bjt4888 » May 20th, 2019, 6:29 am

Balsa,

We use the Bernie Hunt NP/Design spreadsheet. Fern Rash also has published a good one. Both are available in the Yahoo Group “Indoor_Construction” in the Files section. Bernie’s sheet doesn’t calculate CG perfectly for heavy airplanes like we use for SO but we “trick” the spreadsheet by entering the ballast location different than actual in order to have the sheet calculate the CG correctly and thereby show the SSM correctly.

If you have detailed questions about use of the sheet, spend me a PM.

Brian T

bjt4888
Member
Member
Posts: 651
Joined: June 16th, 2013, 12:35 pm
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Wright Stuff C

Post by bjt4888 » May 20th, 2019, 7:27 am

Fred Rash, not Fern Rash.

BalsaFerret
Member
Member
Posts: 28
Joined: February 6th, 2019, 4:35 am
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wright Stuff C

Post by BalsaFerret » May 21st, 2019, 8:39 am

bjt4888 wrote:Balsa,

We use the Bernie Hunt NP/Design spreadsheet. Fern Rash also has published a good one. Both are available in the Yahoo Group “Indoor_Construction” in the Files section. Bernie’s sheet doesn’t calculate CG perfectly for heavy airplanes like we use for SO but we “trick” the spreadsheet by entering the ballast location different than actual in order to have the sheet calculate the CG correctly and thereby show the SSM correctly.

If you have detailed questions about use of the sheet, spend me a PM.

Brian T
Thanks sm again Brian, I'll try to use them and gather some accurate data.

DarthBuilder
Member
Member
Posts: 288
Joined: August 1st, 2017, 8:02 am
Division: Grad
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wright Stuff C

Post by DarthBuilder » May 30th, 2019, 5:09 pm

Hey, I’m not sure if anyone from Fossil Ridge is here. But they left a torque meter and winder on top of the thermostat right by the entrance.
Deleted

NorCalplaya
Member
Member
Posts: 16
Joined: April 6th, 2019, 6:26 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wright Stuff C

Post by NorCalplaya » May 30th, 2019, 6:02 pm

DarthBuilder wrote:Hey, I’m not sure if anyone from Fossil Ridge is here. But they left a torque meter and winder on top of the thermostat right by the entrance.
There was practice today!? :shock: :evil:

User avatar
klastyioer
Member
Member
Posts: 425
Joined: April 22nd, 2018, 4:46 pm
Division: C
State: PA
Location: somewhere on planet earth
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Wright Stuff C

Post by klastyioer » May 30th, 2019, 6:04 pm

NorCalplaya wrote:
DarthBuilder wrote:Hey, I’m not sure if anyone from Fossil Ridge is here. But they left a torque meter and winder on top of the thermostat right by the entrance.
There was practice today!? :shock: :evil:
no...?
it's not about the medals; go out there and have fun. make progress, learn a few things and have one heck of a time; that's all that matters.

Check out Klastyioer's Userpage!

Rossyspsce
Member
Member
Posts: 201
Joined: June 3rd, 2018, 5:32 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wright Stuff C

Post by Rossyspsce » June 1st, 2019, 8:50 pm

congrats to coach chuck and his team for winning nats this year!!

User avatar
CrayolaCrayon
Member
Member
Posts: 313
Joined: October 25th, 2017, 8:24 am
Division: C
State: NJ
Location: I'll have to get back to you on that one
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Wright Stuff C

Post by CrayolaCrayon » June 1st, 2019, 8:55 pm

1st: Albequerque HS with a 5:09
2nd: Bayard Rustin HS with a 4:25
3rd: Northville HS with a 3:50


From what I observed ^
Wright Stuff 2nd 2019 Nationals
USA F1D Team 2020
1391 Turns

Locked

Return to “Wright Stuff C”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest