Times

jajefan
State: -

Re: Times

Postby jajefan » January 14th, 2019, 2:09 pm

klastyioer wrote:
Rossyspsce wrote:anyone got times for mira loma or mit?

i have times for stoga if you want em tho

Can you let me know as well? Thanks.

izzanom
Division: B
State: NC

Postby izzanom » January 14th, 2019, 5:38 pm

I've been flying in about a 20 foot gym and was wondering what other people were generally getting. I've had about 2:30 as an average.

OpticsNerd
Division: C
State: WI

Postby OpticsNerd » January 14th, 2019, 5:40 pm

izzanom wrote:I've been flying in about a 20 foot gym and was wondering what other people were generally getting. I've had about 2:30 as an average.

I'm also flying in a 20 foot gym with mid torque(Maybe 65% max winds) although I haven't done any flights in two weeks. That much torque got me 2:42 with 4 meters of altitude drops from hitting the ceiling.
Hamilton MS '18
National Tournaments: 2018 CSU B-4th(Wright Stuff)
2019 Events(C): Boomilever, Circuit Lab, Disease Detectives, Thermodynamics, Wright Stuff
Medal Count: 34
Invitationals: 21
Regionals: 9
State: 3
Nationals: 1

klastyioer
State: PA

Postby klastyioer » January 15th, 2019, 6:06 am

Rossyspsce wrote:
klastyioer wrote:

i have times for stoga if you want em tho

That'd be great if you could send them!

so i wasnt competing but i worked closely to get my team in a somewhat decent spot in like less than a month (building and trimming in 2.5 weeks). that got us to 1;20 and 1;10 at comp, no tiers, all bonuses. i noticed lots of ff kits being used, almost all teams. a few schools attempted their own planes, including us, and others just used the kit. the times were all mostly around 1;15-1;45, some were in the low 2 minute range. many teams were going for the bonuses.
honestly, it's not about the medals. go out there and have fun. make progress, learn a few things, have one heck of a time, because that's all that matters.

vanilladean

Postby vanilladean » January 15th, 2019, 8:43 am

1st place time @ MIT: 2:27 w/o bonuses 2:49 w/ bonuses. The ceiling was around 20 ft. with the limiting factor being hanging cables and pipes. The cold temperatures and unpredictable air in the room contributed to many of the low times.

CrayolaCrayon

Postby CrayolaCrayon » January 15th, 2019, 10:19 am

vanilladean wrote:

1st place time @ MIT: 2:27 w/o bonuses 2:49 w/ bonuses. The ceiling was around 20 ft. with the limiting factor being hanging cables and pipes. The cold temperatures and unpredictable air in the room contributed to many of the low times.

Hopefully next year they can get DuPont
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln

klastyioer

Postby klastyioer » January 15th, 2019, 11:54 am

izzanom wrote:I've been flying in about a 20 foot gym and was wondering what other people were generally getting. I've had about 2:30 as an average.

yea but keep in mind that people tend to not do as well at comp than in practice. our schools time were also not v reliable because we kinda rushed all our practice. though once we attend soup, we will have much better times. 2:30 is a good place to be at right now though, and if anyone here is not yet there but still above 1:30, you should also be fine. depending on your schedules and competition dates, everyone will be working at their own pace, which makes competition fun to observe
honestly, it's not about the medals. go out there and have fun. make progress, learn a few things, have one heck of a time, because that's all that matters.

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Postby Unome » January 20th, 2019, 8:12 am

The top score at Brookwood was a raw time somewhere in the 2:00-2:30 range (don't remember exactly, I had a bit of a headache at the time).
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

CrayolaCrayon

Postby CrayolaCrayon » January 20th, 2019, 8:20 am

Unome wrote:The top score at Brookwood was a raw time somewhere in the 2:00-2:30 range (don't remember exactly, I had a bit of a headache at the time).

Do you know what kind of ceiling it was under (if you saw the flight)? Was there ceiling hits?
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Postby Unome » January 20th, 2019, 9:46 am

CrayolaCrayon wrote:
Unome wrote:The top score at Brookwood was a raw time somewhere in the 2:00-2:30 range (don't remember exactly, I had a bit of a headache at the time).

Do you know what kind of ceiling it was under (if you saw the flight)? Was there ceiling hits?

The ceiling was ~30 feet, but effectively ~20 feet because everything above that was covered in girders.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

CrayolaCrayon

Postby CrayolaCrayon » January 20th, 2019, 10:46 am

Unome wrote:
CrayolaCrayon wrote:

The ceiling was ~30 feet, but effectively ~20 feet because everything above that was covered in girders.

Interesting. Probably hit the girders at least once and recovered nicely. If that was no-touch, that's impressive.

jajefan

Postby jajefan » February 2nd, 2019, 5:59 pm

Times at Solon Invitational (Effective ceiling height 22 feet, tighter circles allowed for 25 feet)

Team names not included (raw scores only released to participating teams)

1st: 2:30, all bonus
2nd: 2:20, all bonus
3rd: 2:19, all bonus <- us

8th: 2:00 (approx), all bonus

13th: 1:50 (approx), all bonus

1st and 2nd place were the same team; this team got a 3:05 in a slightly higher ceiling (28 - 30 ft?) at Westlake Invitational

CrayolaCrayon

Postby CrayolaCrayon » February 3rd, 2019, 8:10 am

jajefan wrote:Times at Solon Invitational (Effective ceiling height 22 feet, tighter circles allowed for 25 feet)

Team names not included (raw scores only released to participating teams)

1st: 2:30, all bonus
2nd: 2:20, all bonus
3rd: 2:19, all bonus <- us

8th: 2:00 (approx), all bonus

13th: 1:50 (approx), all bonus

1st and 2nd place were the same team; this team got a 3:05 in a slightly higher ceiling (28 - 30 ft?) at Westlake Invitational

I want to add that I saw almost all the top 8 of those flights hitting the ceiling/obstructions at least 2 times. It was hit, descend, climb, hit, descend, climb, repeat.

JasperKota
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Postby JasperKota » February 3rd, 2019, 5:16 pm

Are those times including the bonuses or are they raw times?
2019 Events: Wright Stuff, Mousetrap Vehicle, Fossils
2018 Events: Helicopters, Mousetrap Vehicle, Parasitology, WIDI
2017 Events: Invasives, Wright Stuff, Ecology
2016 Events: Invasives, Dynamic Planet, Crave the Wave

CrayolaCrayon

Postby CrayolaCrayon » February 3rd, 2019, 6:04 pm

JasperKota wrote:Are those times including the bonuses or are they raw times?

Raw

Return to “Wright Stuff C”