Making propellers

coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: NM

Re: Making propellers

Post by coachchuckaahs »

We use light 1/32" c grain if we can get it.

Coach Chuck
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records
klastyioer
Division: C
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by klastyioer »

coachchuckaahs wrote:We use light 1/32" c grain if we can get it.

Coach Chuck
gotcha, thanks coach
im using b grain just to see if i have the ability to even make one in the first place but i have plenty of c grain i can use later when i get the hang of it

do you know how to make one of those jigs to assemble the prop? i just dont know the distances and sizes of things, i just know theres a hub to hold the hook and a block to put the blade at a 45 degree angle to glue the spar to it
it's not about the medals; go out there and have fun. make progress, learn a few things and have one heck of a time; that's all that matters.

Check out Klastyioer's Userpage!
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: NM

Post by coachchuckaahs »

We actually started using the FFM pitch gauge as a prop maker. You need to mark the blade at the position that coincides with the protractor to ensure correct positioning. Use a clothspin to hold the protractor at the desired angle (it may not be 45 degrees). Others set to 45 degrees but move the stand in and out to get the desired pitch.

Google indoor prop making, or look on past entries of this or HipPocket forums for approaches others use.

The bottom line is yo need something that will hold the shaft vertical, and then something to hold the blade at the right position and angle. Then you glue the spar to the blade. We keep the jig in our toolbox, and always have some spars and formed blades, so we can try something new pretty quickly while at the gym, if the data dictates it.

Coach Chuck
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records
klastyioer
Division: C
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by klastyioer »

coachchuckaahs wrote:We actually started using the FFM pitch gauge as a prop maker. You need to mark the blade at the position that coincides with the protractor to ensure correct positioning. Use a clothspin to hold the protractor at the desired angle (it may not be 45 degrees). Others set to 45 degrees but move the stand in and out to get the desired pitch.

Google indoor prop making, or look on past entries of this or HipPocket forums for approaches others use.

The bottom line is yo need something that will hold the shaft vertical, and then something to hold the blade at the right position and angle. Then you glue the spar to the blade. We keep the jig in our toolbox, and always have some spars and formed blades, so we can try something new pretty quickly while at the gym, if the data dictates it.

Coach Chuck
alright, thanks!
it's not about the medals; go out there and have fun. make progress, learn a few things and have one heck of a time; that's all that matters.

Check out Klastyioer's Userpage!

Return to “Wright Stuff C”