Non-kit rules

BalsaFerret
Division: C
Has thanked: 0

Non-kit rules

Post by BalsaFerret »

Our state this year (or any year apparently) doesn't allow the use kits for competition. I'm wondering to what dictates as a true kit, if I can use the majority of the ffm kit and use homemade parts for the build?
CrayolaCrayon
State: PA

Re: Non-kit rules

Post by CrayolaCrayon »

What state are you in? I thought all the rules were the same.
MIT '25
MIT Wright Stuff ES '22
BirdSO Wright Stuff ES '22
Rossyspsce

Post by Rossyspsce »

BalsaFerret wrote:Our state this year (or any year apparently) doesn't allow the use kits for competition. I'm wondering to what dictates as a true kit, if I can use the majority of the ffm kit and use homemade parts for the build?
What is the actual wording of the rule set?
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

Even when specifically allowed by the national rule?
Para 3.a "Airplanes may be constructed from published plans, commercial kits, and/or a student’s design. Kits must not contain any pre-glued joints or pre-covered surfaces."
Your confusion in what constitutes a kit is why its written that way.
You'll need a ruling from your state on what constitutes a kit. Nothing we say here will be binding. Then be conservative on complying.
I'll note, unless they disallow published plans, how do they determine it isn't a kit? I mean, I'm sure I could build something from any given plan completely from scratch that would be indistinguishable from a kit built plane.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

The poster is from Massachusetts, where they have revised national rules and renamed the event to "Wrong Stuff." Their new rule 3.a. reads: "Kits are not allowed, but the use of rubber bands, rubber motors, and propeller assembly components (consistent with rule 3e) sourced from kits are allowed."
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: NM

Post by coachchuckaahs »

It would appear that the "construction log" would be intended to verify that no kit was utilized. As others have noted, it would be hard to distinguish a plan-built and a kit-built plane. I guess take plenty of photos showing the scratch-building process! Is the burden of proof on the ES or on the student?

Coach Chuck
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by CookiePie1 »

bernard wrote:The poster is from Massachusetts, where they have revised national rules and renamed the event to "Wrong Stuff." Their new rule 3.a. reads: "Kits are not allowed, but the use of rubber bands, rubber motors, and propeller assembly components (consistent with rule 3e) sourced from kits are allowed."
Is that real? It almost seems like a joke :lol:
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
BalsaFerret

Post by BalsaFerret »

CookiePie1 wrote:
bernard wrote:The poster is from Massachusetts, where they have revised national rules and renamed the event to "Wrong Stuff." Their new rule 3.a. reads: "Kits are not allowed, but the use of rubber bands, rubber motors, and propeller assembly components (consistent with rule 3e) sourced from kits are allowed."
Is that real? It almost seems like a joke :lol:
It technically is a joke, but then again it's Massachusetts...
BalsaFerret

Post by BalsaFerret »

coachchuckaahs wrote:It would appear that the "construction log" would be intended to verify that no kit was utilized. As others have noted, it would be hard to distinguish a plan-built and a kit-built plane. I guess take plenty of photos showing the scratch-building process! Is the burden of proof on the ES or on the student?

Coach Chuck
So theoretically the ffm plan can be used, but things that come along in the kit can't? Does that mean I can just laser cut the ribs and get other parts separate from the kit (cf rods, etc), and call it a plan built plane rather than a kit built plane? Also how would a construction log look like so that it would be legit?
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA

Post by bernard »

BalsaFerret wrote:
coachchuckaahs wrote:It would appear that the "construction log" would be intended to verify that no kit was utilized. As others have noted, it would be hard to distinguish a plan-built and a kit-built plane. I guess take plenty of photos showing the scratch-building process! Is the burden of proof on the ES or on the student?

Coach Chuck
So theoretically the ffm plan can be used, but things that come along in the kit can't? Does that mean I can just laser cut the ribs and get other parts separate from the kit (cf rods, etc), and call it a plan built plane rather than a kit built plane? Also how would a construction log look like so that it would be legit?
When expectations are vague, I would hope supervisors are lenient.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs

Return to “Wright Stuff C”