Max width of tail wing?

evandyke
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Max width of tail wing?

Post by evandyke »

The rules state that the maximum wing chord (straight line distance from leading edge of wing to trailing edge, parallel to the fuselage) of the wing must be 7.0 cm or less. Does this also apply to the width of the tail wing or just the main wing which is the single largest lifting surface? Mine is slightly over 7cm.
CrayolaCrayon
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Max width of tail wing?

Post by CrayolaCrayon »

There is only one wing. The event requires you construct a monoplane. It applies to the wing, and the stab effectively, as the stab has to have a smaller surface area than the wing.
MIT '25
MIT Wright Stuff ES '22
BirdSO Wright Stuff ES '22
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: NM

Post by coachchuckaahs »

The rules define the wing as the single largest surface. They do not define if this is in span, chord, area, or all. One interpretation is area. However, if you came with a smaller span and larger chord, you are at risk to interpretation.

I had previously put in an faq asking to define "largest", but it did not get answered.

Most es's will probably have a template and expect all surfaces to fit span and chord. If you come with a low aspect ratio stab, be prepared to defend your position.

Imho, higher aspect ratio will be more efficient, so no need to go there!

Coach Chuck
Last edited by coachchuckaahs on February 25th, 2019, 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records
evandyke

Post by evandyke »

CrayolaCrayon wrote:There is only one wing. The event requires you construct a monoplane. It applies to the wing, and the stab effectively, as the stab has to have a smaller surface area than the wing.
By tail wing I should of said rear stabilizer.
evandyke

Post by evandyke »

coachchuckaahs wrote:The rules define the wing add the single largest surface. They do not define if this is in spam, chord, area, or all. One interpretation is area. However, if you came with a smaller spam and larger chord, you are at risk to interpretation.

I had previously put in an faq asking to define "largest", but it did not get answered.

Most es's will probably have a template and expect all surfaces to fit span and chord. If you come with a low aspect ratio stab, be prepared to defend your position.

Coach Chuck
If largest is defined as surface area then I should be all set because the rear stabilizer has a smaller area then the wing. I'll probably play it safe though and make a rear stabilizer with a chord length less then 7cm. Hopefully this wont affect the overall flight quality to much.
CrayolaCrayon

Post by CrayolaCrayon »

evandyke wrote:
coachchuckaahs wrote:The rules define the wing add the single largest surface. They do not define if this is in spam, chord, area, or all. One interpretation is area. However, if you came with a smaller spam and larger chord, you are at risk to interpretation.

Coach Chuck
If largest is defined as surface area then I should be all set because the rear stabilizer has a smaller area then the wing. I'll probably play it safe though and make a rear stabilizer with a chord length less then 7cm. Hopefully this wont affect the overall flight quality to much.
Alternatively, you can make a surface just like the wing, and make it ever so shorter in length. ;)
MIT '25
MIT Wright Stuff ES '22
BirdSO Wright Stuff ES '22
bjt4888
State: MI

Post by bjt4888 »

One more thought on the topic.

The wing could be either the forward or the rearward horizontal lifting surface. If the rearward horizontal surface is 35x7, or less, and is larger than the forward horizontal lifting surface, by definition the rear surface is the wing and the forward surface is the “foreplane” and you have built a canard and met the rules, in my opinion.

The above is not an official rule interpretation, but it is a correct by definition. However, with this configuration, you may run the risk of encountering an ES that doesn’t know what a canard is. Nothing against ES of course; they are volunteers and should be appreciated.

We are not building canards, but they are interesting airplanes (note the Wright Flyer).

Brian T
OpticsNerd
State: WI

Post by OpticsNerd »

This is why I feel like they should bring back specific specifications for the horizontal stabilizer...
It isn't really clear to some people when they say the wing needs to be the largest lifting surface,
klastyioer
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by klastyioer »

i agree w crayola and coach
though i do and do not agree w optics nerd
though it is confusing, it leaves room for creativity
going canard would be kinda cool

anyways back on topic
either make the stab shorter in length or less then the measurement of your wing chord
i would play it safe and just make both shorter by a millimeter or two
but yall do whatever u have planned
it's not about the medals; go out there and have fun. make progress, learn a few things and have one heck of a time; that's all that matters.

Check out Klastyioer's Userpage!

Return to “Wright Stuff C”