Just trying to get my bad plane to fly

Airco2020
Has thanked: 0

Re: Just trying to get my bad plane to fly

Post by Airco2020 »

klastyioer wrote: and the stab should have the front slightly lower than the back

try that again but w those posts

The LE of the Stab should be lower? I don't think that's how the kit is designed. Is that what other people do?
bjt4888
Division: C
State: MI

Post by bjt4888 »

The FF kit instructions are to set the stab LE 1/32” higher than the TE. Positive incidence in the stab, along with slightly increased positive incidence in the wing is an accepted trim strategy that the FF kits have used successfully in the past. This trim causes the motorstick to fly more parallel to the floor and reduce the potential for propeller stall at low power.

You would have to test this trim against other trim methodologies to see for yourself if duration is improved.

Brian T.
klastyioer
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by klastyioer »

Airco2020 wrote:
klastyioer wrote: and the stab should have the front slightly lower than the back

try that again but w those posts

The LE of the Stab should be lower? I don't think that's how the kit is designed. Is that what other people do?
i mean thats how i do it and it seems to work but it all depends on the plane
then again i dont use the pure kit
i only use elements of it
so it might be diff for me
it's not about the medals; go out there and have fun. make progress, learn a few things and have one heck of a time; that's all that matters.

Check out Klastyioer's Userpage!
Dinoswarleafs
Been thanked: 0

Post by Dinoswarleafs »

Thanks for all your help :) I managed to get it to fly for around fourty to fifty seconds before the competition, but I was so nervous that I just had to test it before my event and I snapped the motor while winding it :( had to do a glide throw which was really embarrassing. Learned a value lesson to not touch anything on competition day haha

It was all for fun, and I had so much fun I think I'll buy the kit again w/ my own money and try to get a nationals level plane just as a hobby. Idk if there's a place for me to ask for help w/ that after the competition ends :P
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: NM

Post by coachchuckaahs »

You can always ask here, we do keep an eye out.

Keep in mind that most improvement will come through trying different rubber widths (or linear density) and masses, or playing with propellers.

Important to have multiple Motors ready at competition. My team checked in with 9 Motors this year, primary and backup for different situations and for slightly different performance in two planes. Used two, but not necessarily the two that were planned, since first flight was not successful. So the team adjusted plan, and selected different rubber.

At regionals, when preparing to wind, a significant notch was seen ok primary rubber, and they did not have identical backup, so they had to take second flight rubber and adjust the winding plan for first flight.

Bottom line, have multiple Motors ready.

You may also want to look at AMA competitions in your area. You could start with PA-18, which is similar to SO, is offered. You could also try Limited Penny Plane, which is similar in size but only 3.1g. My team is going to build LPP's next week for an AMA competition in April.

Coach Chuck
Last edited by coachchuckaahs on March 4th, 2019, 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records
Rossyspsce

Post by Rossyspsce »

coachchuckaahs wrote:You can always ask here, we do keep an eye out.

Keep in mind that most improvement will come through trying different rubber widths (or linear density) and masses, or playing with Oakwood.

Important to have multiple Motors ready at competition. My team checked in with 9 Motors this year, primary and backup for different situations and for slightly different performance in two planes. Used two, but not necessarily the two that were planned, since first flight was not successful. So the team adjusted plan, and selected different rubber.

At regionals, when preparing to wind, a significant notch was seen ok primary rubber, and they did not have identical backup, so they had to take second flight rubber and adjust the winding plan for first flight.

Bottom line, have multiple Motors ready.

You may also want to look at AMA competitions in your area. You could start with PA-18, which is similar to SO, is offered. You could also try Limited Penny Plane, which is similar in size but only 3.1g. My team is going to build LPP's next week for an AMA competition in April.

Coach Chuck
Wdym by playing with oakwood
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: NM

Post by coachchuckaahs »

Tablet autocorrect. Try propellers. I'll fix post.

Coach Chuck
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records
klastyioer
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by klastyioer »

Dinoswarleafs wrote:Thanks for all your help :) I managed to get it to fly for around fourty to fifty seconds before the competition, but I was so nervous that I just had to test it before my event and I snapped the motor while winding it :( had to do a glide throw which was really embarrassing. Learned a value lesson to not touch anything on competition day haha

It was all for fun, and I had so much fun I think I'll buy the kit again w/ my own money and try to get a nationals level plane just as a hobby. Idk if there's a place for me to ask for help w/ that after the competition ends :P
i agree w coach, always always check in multiple parts (if possible), planes, and motors as well as props just incase something happens
better safe then sorry

also congrats! thats def a good place for you to be at right now. you are always welcome to ask questions here, anytime you need it, we've got your back.

best of luck!
katie
it's not about the medals; go out there and have fun. make progress, learn a few things and have one heck of a time; that's all that matters.

Check out Klastyioer's Userpage!
fifty_missions
State: IN

Post by fifty_missions »

just a warning its not a gr8 winder, but itll work if youre on a budget

http://shop.modelaircraft.org/dept.aspx ... a-87a08c2d (comes w a crappy plane and some rubber as well, have ur siblings play w it or give it to some kid and tell em to have fun w it)
Interesting. That "Crappy" Airplane just flew a 1:38 in our local gym. The AMA Alpha is out-of-stock for a good reason, it flies and flies well for an airplane assembled in 5 minutes. In fact, it will be the focus of Science Olympiad's new trial event AERIAL SCRAMBLE.

As for the Crappy winder... are you kidding? It is a 20:1 winder that is extremely robust with smooth action! Not only is it the only one on the market, it would cost $30 if it were available on its own. At $7.95 the kit is a steal with airplane and winder.

Check this video-

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... brandon+ii

Good Luck-
50 Missions
CrayolaCrayon

Post by CrayolaCrayon »

fifty_missions wrote:
just a warning its not a gr8 winder, but itll work if youre on a budget

http://shop.modelaircraft.org/dept.aspx ... a-87a08c2d (comes w a crappy plane and some rubber as well, have ur siblings play w it or give it to some kid and tell em to have fun w it)
Interesting. That "Crappy" Airplane just flew a 1:38 in our local gym. The AMA Alpha is out-of-stock for a good reason, it flies and flies well for an airplane assembled in 5 minutes. In fact, it will be the focus of Science Olympiad's new trial event AERIAL SCRAMBLE.

As for the Crappy winder... are you kidding? It is a 20:1 winder that is extremely robust with smooth action! Not only is it the only one on the market, it would cost $30 if it were available on its own. At $7.95 the kit is a steal with airplane and winder.

Check this video-

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... brandon+ii

Good Luck-
50 Missions
Very interesting
MIT '25
MIT Wright Stuff ES '22
BirdSO Wright Stuff ES '22

Return to “Wright Stuff C”