Just trying to get my bad plane to fly

retired1
Division: Grad
State: FL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Just trying to get my bad plane to fly

Post by retired1 »

Is your plane your design, a published design , or a kit? What size rubber are you using? Is it tan super sport?
Your problem is your winding. Rational sized tss will take about 100 winds per inch of the loop. You are flying with a little bit more than what many people land with.The right turn is a bit less efficient than a left turn but that is a very tiny problem compared to your lack of winds.
Measuring anything now will not be profitable until you get more winds as the trim will change a bit, which will change how it flies.
If you are using a $5.00 hobby store plane, you can get better, but will very probably not get into the top half of the competitors. Regional are or soon will be over and state competition gets a lot more serious than many other contests.
klastyioer
Division: C
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by klastyioer »

Dinoswarleafs wrote:
klastyioer wrote:id like to offer to help out with anything as well so if you need help just quote this message or pm me

Oh snap really? Thanks! I can't send a video of its flight right now, but while turning the plane around 500 times (rn I'm doing it by hand. I'll see if I have the materials for crank later) it seems to fly 15 feet total while gradually declining and turning right through out the process. What characteristics should I measure that would be helpful to know :0?
yea ofc
so i noticed its a ff kit (retired, to answer your question abt the design) i also noticed that the mylar job isnt great but it can be improved with time. they have a ton of uneven spots and stuff, but honestly that shouldnt be a problem until later on, you really just want a somewhat functional plane rn (so like 30 ish seconds would be fine for the time being)
you def want a winder, i recommend an easy 15;1 winder off the ff website or volare they have a few winders, really anywhere can get you a 15;1. if preferred, use a 10;1, its probably easier to count that way, but most people here use 15;1 just cause its most common
i agree w/ retired, youre basically flying your plane with what most people would land with (referred to as d winds or remaining winds) which isnt ideal because you want to max out your rubber for the ceiling and environment its in
have you read the guide provided on the soinc.org website yet for basics on the plane and how it works? its a good guide for people new to this and i can do some further explaining of how planes work and how to change things afterwards, because it doesnt necessarily cover everything. i would read thru that first tho
it's not about the medals; go out there and have fun. make progress, learn a few things and have one heck of a time; that's all that matters.

Check out Klastyioer's Userpage!
Dinoswarleafs

Post by Dinoswarleafs »

klastyioer wrote:
Dinoswarleafs wrote:
klastyioer wrote:id like to offer to help out with anything as well so if you need help just quote this message or pm me

Oh snap really? Thanks! I can't send a video of its flight right now, but while turning the plane around 500 times (rn I'm doing it by hand. I'll see if I have the materials for crank later) it seems to fly 15 feet total while gradually declining and turning right through out the process. What characteristics should I measure that would be helpful to know :0?
yea ofc
so i noticed its a ff kit (retired, to answer your question abt the design) i also noticed that the mylar job isnt great but it can be improved with time. they have a ton of uneven spots and stuff, but honestly that shouldnt be a problem until later on, you really just want a somewhat functional plane rn (so like 30 ish seconds would be fine for the time being)
you def want a winder, i recommend an easy 15;1 winder off the ff website or volare they have a few winders, really anywhere can get you a 15;1. if preferred, use a 10;1, its probably easier to count that way, but most people here use 15;1 just cause its most common
i agree w/ retired, youre basically flying your plane with what most people would land with (referred to as d winds or remaining winds) which isnt ideal because you want to max out your rubber for the ceiling and environment its in
have you read the guide provided on the soinc.org website yet for basics on the plane and how it works? its a good guide for people new to this and i can do some further explaining of how planes work and how to change things afterwards, because it doesnt necessarily cover everything. i would read thru that first tho
Thanks for the detailed reply =) I read the guide and it seems useful once I can actually get the plane going, but I don't see much on how to address lift being horrendous. I'm now using 2.2 grams of .084 rubber band rn, will try to test it in a bit. The poster earlier pointed out to me that the diagram for the horizontal stabilizer was in the front so it has the opposite angle of incline rn T-T I'll fix it when i get home :0
klastyioer

Post by klastyioer »

Dinoswarleafs wrote:
klastyioer wrote:
Dinoswarleafs wrote:

Thanks for the detailed reply =) I read the guide and it seems useful once I can actually get the plane going, but I don't see much on how to address lift being horrendous. I'm now using 2.2 grams of .084 rubber band rn, will try to test it in a bit. The poster earlier pointed out to me that the diagram for the horizontal stabilizer was in the front so it has the opposite angle of incline rn T-T I'll fix it when i get home :0
you dont actually need to fix anything, just turn the stab around so the other side faces the front
the ribs are symmetrical so you dont have to worry abt it being the wrong way
as long as the higher side is the turning side youre all gud

the lift can be fixed by making that motor shorter but right now you might just have to pack more winds into it
are you doing ws for fun like as a fun event or are you aiming for serious stuff
cause if not i have a link i can send u that has a 20;1 winder thats dirt cheap
it's not about the medals; go out there and have fun. make progress, learn a few things and have one heck of a time; that's all that matters.

Rossyspsce

Post by Rossyspsce »

klastyioer wrote:
Dinoswarleafs wrote:
klastyioer wrote:
you dont actually need to fix anything, just turn the stab around so the other side faces the front

the lift can be fixed by making that motor shorter but right now you might just have to pack more winds into it
are you doing ws for fun like as a fun event or are you aiming for serious stuff
do you mind sending me that link plz :P
klastyioer

Post by klastyioer »

Rossyspsce wrote:
klastyioer wrote:
Dinoswarleafs wrote:

do you mind sending me that link plz :P
just a warning its not a gr8 winder, but itll work if youre on a budget

http://shop.modelaircraft.org/dept.aspx ... a-87a08c2d (comes w a crappy plane and some rubber as well, have ur siblings play w it or give it to some kid and tell em to have fun w it)

Dinoswarleafs

Post by Dinoswarleafs »

klastyioer wrote:
Dinoswarleafs wrote:
klastyioer wrote:
just have to pack more winds into it
fun event.
https://streamable.com/tvk39 I tried winding it a ton here but it's still falling, though it is having a better flight overall. I'm pretty scared to fly it in doors at this point since the crashes are a lot more violent. Do you think I should make the motor shorter now?
Dinoswarleafs

Post by Dinoswarleafs »

Dinoswarleafs wrote:
klastyioer wrote:
Dinoswarleafs wrote:
fun event.
https://streamable.com/tvk39 I tried winding it a ton here (2g .108) but it's still falling, though it is having a better flight overall. I'm pretty scared to fly it in doors at this point since the crashes are a lot more violent. Do you think I should make the motor shorter now?
Dinoswarleafs

Post by Dinoswarleafs »

I cut the motor off a fair bit and got it to fly okay-ish! https://streamable.com/xsk9s On some throws I can make it go up. The turn is wayyy tooo slow but I think if I fix the horz stabilizer that should fix that :o I think if I get that down I'll be okay with it!
klastyioer

Post by klastyioer »

Dinoswarleafs wrote:
klastyioer wrote:
Dinoswarleafs wrote:
fun event.
https://streamable.com/tvk39 I tried winding it a ton here but it's still falling, though it is having a better flight overall. I'm pretty scared to fly it in doors at this point since the crashes are a lot more violent. Do you think I should make the motor shorter now?

well one thing is are your posts right
the wing should have the front slightly higher than the back
and the stab should have the front slightly lower than the back

try that again but w those posts

Return to “Wright Stuff C”