pitch gauge, prop jigs, and more

klastyioer
Division: C
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

pitch gauge, prop jigs, and more

Post by klastyioer »

so i still dont really get how to make a useable pitch jig as of now. what i have currently is a piece of wood that has a sheet of foam board on it. i purchased a ff pitch gauge and used everything on it except the part that i believe one had a default bearing on it (took it off). we attached this to a piece of balsa wood thats been treated to have pins be able to be pushed in it without the wood splitting cracking etc. so its a ff pitch gauge glued at a 90 degree angle to a piece of treated balsa so that the gauge sits up right and the mechanism can be pushed into the foam board and move forward or back, its a classic sliding mechanism but without the sliding. theres also a thicc piece of balsa thats glued upright at the base of the jig that has a bearing attached to it (harlan). its glued so that when a prop is attached, it sits upright and the spars are able to be level to the table. the part i dont get, however is how to attach the blades to the spars, how exactly to make durable spars (size density and all that), and how to accurately glue the blades onto the spars to get each size at the right pitch. any suggestions?
it's not about the medals; go out there and have fun. make progress, learn a few things and have one heck of a time; that's all that matters.

Check out Klastyioer's Userpage!
bjt4888
State: MI
Has thanked: 0

Re: pitch gauge, prop jigs, and more

Post by bjt4888 »

Klast,

See the video in my post in this 2015 thread. Note that blade mounting is at 1:03 (one hour, three minutes) in the video. Jump to this section.

viewtopic.php?f=191&t=6085&start=105

Also see pictures of one of my pitch setting and blade mounting jigs in this 2015 thread. I am out this evening and can post more info tomorrow.

Brian T
klastyioer

Post by klastyioer »

bjt4888 wrote:Klast,

See the video in my post in this 2015 thread. Note that blade mounting is at 1:03 (one hour, three minutes) in the video. Jump to this section.

viewtopic.php?f=191&t=6085&start=105

Also see pictures of one of my pitch setting and blade mounting jigs in this 2015 thread. I am out this evening and can post more info tomorrow.

Brian T
okay thank you!
it's not about the medals; go out there and have fun. make progress, learn a few things and have one heck of a time; that's all that matters.

bjt4888
State: MI
Has thanked: 0

Post by bjt4888 »

K,

The prop assembly jig pictured in the link above can also be flipped 180 degrees so that the front of the blades face up, this would be a more typical configuration. My “upside down” jig in the picture was originally for EZB propellers that typically have the blade spar running down the center of the blade (symmetrical propellers).

WS propellers will typically have the spar on the trailing edge of the blade as this is pretty standard for a flaring propeller. A “right side up” jig is probably better for WS. If the 45 degree blade angle part of the jig is a little wider piece of wood, like 1/4”, you can tape the blade onto it to hold the blade in position for gluing to the spar.

Attaching the blade to the spar is a “fiddly” step, there’s no way around this that I know of. I usually attach the blade (once it’s oriented correctly and taped to the jig) with one dot of CA at the tip of the spar. Then I’ll carefully align everything and attach the base of the blade to the spar. Then add a few more drops of glue along the spar to attach the blade more securely.

Brian T
klastyioer

Post by klastyioer »

bjt4888 wrote:K,

The prop assembly jig pictured in the link above can also be flipped 180 degrees so that the front of the blades face up, this would be a more typical configuration. My “upside down” jig in the picture was originally for EZB propellers that typically have the blade spar running down the center of the blade (symmetrical propellers).

WS propellers will typically have the spar on the trailing edge of the blade as this is pretty standard for a flaring propeller. A “right side up” jig is probably better for WS. If the 45 degree blade angle part of the jig is a little wider piece of wood, like 1/4”, you can tape the blade onto it to hold the blade in position for gluing to the spar.

Attaching the blade to the spar is a “fiddly” step, there’s no way around this that I know of. I usually attach the blade (once it’s oriented correctly and taped to the jig) with one dot of CA at the tip of the spar. Then I’ll carefully align everything and attach the base of the blade to the spar. Then add a few more drops of glue along the spar to attach the blade more securely.

Brian T
okay cool thats what ive been doing
thanks again

Return to “Wright Stuff C”