Dreamz
Division: Grad
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Nationals Room Announced

Post by Dreamz »

sciencegirl03 wrote:
Unome wrote:I think people are overestimating. 3:00 to 3:15 to place, winner will probably be somewhere between 3:30 and 4:00. Might go over 4:00 if they're very good and lucky. Teams almost never do as well at Nationals as people predict.
The room looks great! Love the high ceiling.
But agree that "Teams almost never do as well at Nationals as people predict."
Do agree that of course, you won't be setting record times at nats given you have the same ceiling to practice with back home, but teams with consistent times around 3:20 on a < 30ft ceiling (more than a few by now I'd say) shouldn't have a problem replicating that at nats given an extra 10 feet.
Last edited by Dreamz on April 2nd, 2019, 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rossyspsce

Post by Rossyspsce »

Dreamz wrote:
sciencegirl03 wrote:
Unome wrote:I think people are overestimating. 3:00 to 3:15 to place, winner will probably be somewhere between 3:30 and 4:00. Might go over 4:00 if they're very good and lucky. Teams almost never do as well at Nationals as people predict.
The room looks great! Love the high ceiling.
But agree that "Teams almost never do as well at Nationals as people predict."
Do agree that of course, you won't be setting record times at nats given you have the same ceiling to practice with back home, but teams with consistent times around 3:20 on a < 30ft ceiling (more than a few by now I'd say) shouldn't have a problem replicating that at nats given an extra 10 feet.
I would like to think so, however knowing that it's nationals and not practice or an invitational, can cause many teams to underperform and choke no matter how consistent they are able to. I can attest to this as last year our heli team knew exactly what to do to place, accounting for vents and room size, but failed to break a flight over 2 minutes. Same thing with mission, the way our mission person touched it caused him to lose more points had he touched it a different way causing him to get 7th. The year before our EV would've had a solid placing, 5th or 6th don't remember exactly, but forgot to put their log in at impound. That said I expect the peak will be top 3 teams close together around 3:40, whoever gets lucky with drafts and flight path. Then 4-10 floating between 3:10-3:30
izzanom
Division: C
State: NC
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by izzanom »

I have to agree with this. Despite the fact that people place well at practice, everything can (and seemingly will) go wrong at nats. Its gonna be a high ceiling but theres also gonna be a lot of people in the room so I can imagine that it will be drafty. Does anyone know if they will allow people to trim the day before? I remember 3 years ago at nats we were able to which was super helpful
CrayolaCrayon
Division: C
State: PA

Post by CrayolaCrayon »

izzanom wrote:
I have to agree with this. Despite the fact that people place well at practice, everything can (and seemingly will) go wrong at nats. Its gonna be a high ceiling but theres also gonna be a lot of people in the room so I can imagine that it will be drafty. Does anyone know if they will allow people to trim the day before? I remember 3 years ago at nats we were able to which was super helpful
Maybe they will, but who knows how strong the drafts will be?
MIT '25
MIT Wright Stuff ES '22
BirdSO Wright Stuff ES '22

Return to “Wright Stuff C”