Exalted Member
Division: C
State: CA

Re: Crime Busters B

Post by SilverBreeze »

dholdgreve wrote: February 27th, 2020, 9:01 am
jllooi01 wrote: February 26th, 2020, 5:29 am
SilverBreeze wrote: February 22nd, 2020, 10:59 pm
Could it be sand(if pH were messed up) or chalk? Without a description of the powder, it's hard to say. Check your pH paper?

Sodium acetate is very soluble, so doesn't seem like the first choice, and pH is usually closer to 8.

EDIT: Also remember to wait before deciding a powder is insoluble, as it can take time.
I don't think it was sand, it was white with fairly consistent particles. Also, it was the first powder I tested, and I let it sit the entire time. It did not dissolve.
So... Just curious... If it wasn't soluble, how did the pH go from neutral to that alkaline? Something is amiss I think!
The pH change in itself is not odd. Sometimes competitors will use paper that turns darker green at pH 7 by design and forget to read the chart, or the "distilled" water will be a bit off, but it is definitely possible for a powder to change pH without fully dissolving. Every powder dissolves slightly in water, even "insoluble" ones like chalk. Most of it stays as a precipitate once at equilibrium, so we treat it as though none of it had dissolved. Sometimes, such as for an ID tool, this works. However, some of the ions that do dissolve(specifically the anions) will take up H+ ions because the negative and positive attract, forming different ions. The removed H+ ions cause lower acidity and thus increase pH. Some ions are a very strong base, so even if only a little dissolves, it still has a non-negligible effect. Yes, the pH of chalk in water would be much higher if it fully dissolved, but it still rises nonetheless.
Troy SciOly 2019 - 2023
Captain 2021-2023
Former Events: Ecology, Water Quality, Green Gen, Ornithology, Forestry, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Chem Lab, Env Chem, Sounds, Dynamic Planet, Crime Busters, Potions & Poisons, Exp Design, Towers, Mystery Arch, Reach for the Stars, Mission Possible
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach
Division: B
Has thanked: 0

Post by dholdgreve »

From 7 to 10?
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
Locoholic
Division: C
State: VA

Post by Locoholic »

SilverBreeze wrote: February 27th, 2020, 4:35 pm
The pH change in itself is not odd. Sometimes competitors will use paper that turns darker green at pH 7 by design and forget to read the chart, or the "distilled" water will be a bit off, but it is definitely possible for a powder to change pH without fully dissolving. Every powder dissolves slightly in water, even "insoluble" ones like chalk. Most of it stays as a precipitate once at equilibrium, so we treat it as though none of it had dissolved. Sometimes, such as for an ID tool, this works. However, some of the ions that do dissolve(specifically the anions) will take up H+ ions because the negative and positive attract, forming different ions. The removed H+ ions cause lower acidity and thus increase pH. Some ions are a very strong base, so even if only a little dissolves, it still has a non-negligible effect. Yes, the pH of chalk in water would be much higher if it fully dissolved, but it still rises nonetheless.
I didn't know that the pH change is that drastic when something dissolves...good to know.
Anatomy, Crime Busters, Meteo, RFTS

NCS/L. Braddock/Rustin/Harvard/Regionals/States/Nats (nvm RIP)

Anatomy :( - 5/1/8/1/3/?
Crime Busters - 2/1/1/1/1/?
Meteo - 1/2/2/1/1/?
RFTS - 1/1/2/1/1/?
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach
Division: B
Has thanked: 0

Post by dholdgreve »

So I'm curious... If we need to go to a satellite type competition (based on latest posing at SOinc.org), how exactly would you be able to ID the chemicals without any liquids... and why would they not be allowed liquids?
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
CPScienceDude
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: IN
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by CPScienceDude »

dholdgreve wrote: June 25th, 2020, 11:04 am So I'm curious... If we need to go to a satellite type competition (based on latest posing at SOinc.org), how exactly would you be able to ID the chemicals without any liquids... and why would they not be allowed liquids?
The test results would be provided to you. So if the unknown was cornstarch, you might be provided with “Turns black in I2, is a very fine powder, hardens in water”. Not sure about the liquids thing though. Probably a liability thing.
Crown Point HS '23
Purdue University '27

Assassinator 139 and 147

About Me!

Return to “2020 Lab Events”