Crime Busters B

imaditi
Division: C
State: FL

Re: Crime Busters B

Post by imaditi »

pathfinder05 wrote: November 25th, 2019, 12:37 pm I've been having trouble finding the reactions of the white powders and potassium iodide. I really have no way to test them out myself, so can someone help me out?
If you want to differentiate flour and cornstarch, flour is an off white and also clumps together in water. Also Alka Seltzer fizzes in everything.
Orlando Science High School '23

imaditi's userpage
2017: Optics, Wind Power, Anatomy
2018: Optics, Rocks & Minerals, Battery Buggy
2019: Game On, Battery Buggy, Herp, Mystery
2020: Circuit, Machines, Detector, Code
NewSciolyer
State: MD
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by NewSciolyer »

I think my coach told us the day before our invitationals that they wanted to make clarification on the rules. I think you're only allowed one sheet of paper, not two.
wec01
Division: Grad
State: VA

Post by wec01 »

NewSciolyer wrote: December 16th, 2019, 6:42 am I think my coach told us the day before our invitationals that they wanted to make clarification on the rules. I think you're only allowed one sheet of paper, not two.
The same wording was used for forensics last year and 2 sheets were allowed at competition, so most likely that’s what they intended.
2019 Division C Nationals Medals:
4th place Fossils
5th place Sounds of Music
2nd place Thermodynamics
NewSciolyer

Post by NewSciolyer »

Ah, so two sheets of paper but they have to contain the same information?
NewSciolyer

Post by NewSciolyer »

I am having trouble differentiating Animal, Vegetable, and synthetic fibers. It seems like different types of vegetable fibers react differently to flame test and overall it is really confusing to discern the different types of fibers. How do you properly do a burn test and tell what kind of fiber it is? Is there any other ways that you can tell besides burning them? I can't seem to find any straightforward sources on the internet. Thanks.
FiveW's
State: IN

Post by FiveW's »

NewSciolyer wrote: December 23rd, 2019, 11:35 am I am having trouble differentiating Animal, Vegetable, and synthetic fibers. It seems like different types of vegetable fibers react differently to flame test and overall it is really confusing to discern the different types of fibers. How do you properly do a burn test and tell what kind of fiber it is? Is there any other ways that you can tell besides burning them? I can't seem to find any straightforward sources on the internet. Thanks.
I'm also still learning the event, but other than burn tests one way you can tell them is looks and feel. Synthetic will normally be smooth. And depending on supervisor Cotton is sometimes unprocessed so it will be rougher. I do highly recommend doing the burn tests though because those are the biggest signs. Things to look for in burn tests really are speed, smell, and looks with those three you should be able to differentiate.
Avocado's Law
SilverBreeze
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by SilverBreeze »

FiveW's wrote:
NewSciolyer wrote: December 23rd, 2019, 11:35 am I am having trouble differentiating Animal, Vegetable, and synthetic fibers. It seems like different types of vegetable fibers react differently to flame test and overall it is really confusing to discern the different types of fibers. How do you properly do a burn test and tell what kind of fiber it is? Is there any other ways that you can tell besides burning them? I can't seem to find any straightforward sources on the internet. Thanks.
I'm also still learning the event, but other than burn tests one way you can tell them is looks and feel. Synthetic will normally be smooth. And depending on supervisor Cotton is sometimes unprocessed so it will be rougher. I do highly recommend doing the burn tests though because those are the biggest signs. Things to look for in burn tests really are speed, smell, and looks with those three you should be able to differentiate.
Hello, I did this event in Div. B.

For differentiating fibers by flame test, animal smells like burning hair(that's pretty much what it is), synthetic will melt and create a sweet or acrid smell like a plastic(that's what it is), and plant will burn cleanly like a candle wick or a bomb fuse.

Feel is another way, but often proctors will set up microscope stations and allow participants to look at the fibers under a microscope. Often, they will simply put an image on the test. The best way to prepare for this is to search up various images of plant, animal, and synthetic fibers and perhaps put them on your cheatsheet.
Plant fibers are usually cotton or linen. Cotton looks like flattened strips, and linen looks like bamboo or stacked cups.
Animal fibers look like hairs, with a medulla, cortex, and cuticle. Silk is the exception. It looks synthetic, but will tend to be more irregular.
Synthetic fibers are smooth and uniform. They typically have little variation along the strand.
Troy SciOly 2019 - 2023
Captain 2021-2023
Former Events: Ecology, Water Quality, Green Gen, Ornithology, Forestry, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Chem Lab, Env Chem, Sounds, Dynamic Planet, Crime Busters, Potions & Poisons, Exp Design, Towers, Mystery Arch, Reach for the Stars, Mission Possible
jslocum

Calcium Sulfate vs. Calcium Carbonate

Post by jslocum »

Hi all,

I'm a coach purchasing chemicals for my students and we've run across an issue. According to the resources on the Sci Oly site, Calcium Carbonate reacts with HCl, and Calcium Sulfate (Gypsum) does not. I purchased Calcium Carbonate and Calcium Sulfate both from Ward Science. My students were having trouble separating them because they both reacted with HCl. My first assumption was that they contaminated the Calcium Sulfate so I bought new Calcium Sulfate from Ward Science, but the results remained the same. The Calcium Sulfate reacted with HCl also. Upon closer inspection of the Calcium Sulfate bottle, there is a note that says "Contains: Calcium Carbonate".

So, I have a few questions...
- am I buying the wrong stuff?
- where would I get the correct Calcium Sulfate (Gypsum)
- do you think other supervisors are getting Calcium Sulfate from Ward Science, possibly throwing off the results of their competitions.

Please enlighten me!
SilverBreeze
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by SilverBreeze »

jslocum wrote: Hi all,

I'm a coach purchasing chemicals for my students and we've run across an issue. According to the resources on the Sci Oly site, Calcium Carbonate reacts with HCl, and Calcium Sulfate (Gypsum) does not. I purchased Calcium Carbonate and Calcium Sulfate both from Ward Science. My students were having trouble separating them because they both reacted with HCl. My first assumption was that they contaminated the Calcium Sulfate so I bought new Calcium Sulfate from Ward Science, but the results remained the same. The Calcium Sulfate reacted with HCl also. Upon closer inspection of the Calcium Sulfate bottle, there is a note that says "Contains: Calcium Carbonate".

- do you think other supervisors are getting Calcium Sulfate from Ward Science, possibly throwing off the results of their competitions.

Please enlighten me!
Usually, calcium sulfate is sold as plaster of Paris, which bubbles slightly in both water and HCl, but doesn't make the fizzing sound calcium carbonate and sodium bicarbonate make. Calcium carbonate is used in construction, so the two are often mixed. Have you tried searching for powdered gypsum, which is another form of calcium sulfate? I've read some chalk is made from calcium sulfate instead of calcium carbonate, but I don't know how readily available that is. If event supervisors use calcium sulfate mixed with calcium carbonate, the powder in water or HCl with harden after about five minutes, which is how we used to differentiate it. Calcium sulfate is not supposed to react with anything if pure.
Troy SciOly 2019 - 2023
Captain 2021-2023
Former Events: Ecology, Water Quality, Green Gen, Ornithology, Forestry, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Chem Lab, Env Chem, Sounds, Dynamic Planet, Crime Busters, Potions & Poisons, Exp Design, Towers, Mystery Arch, Reach for the Stars, Mission Possible
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach
Division: B

Post by dholdgreve »

SilverBreeze wrote: December 29th, 2019, 12:46 pm
jslocum wrote: Hi all,

Please enlighten me!
Usually, calcium sulfate is sold as plaster of Paris, which bubbles slightly in both water and HCl, but doesn't make the fizzing sound calcium carbonate and sodium bicarbonate make. Calcium carbonate is used in construction, so the two are often mixed. Have you tried searching for powdered gypsum, which is another form of calcium sulfate? I've read some chalk is made from calcium sulfate instead of calcium carbonate, but I don't know how readily available that is. If event supervisors use calcium sulfate mixed with calcium carbonate, the powder in water or HCl with harden after about five minutes, which is how we used to differentiate it. Calcium sulfate is not supposed to react with anything if pure.
WOW! That IS alarming! My kids have been coming back saying "But it fizzed!" To which I responded "It couldn't!" ... Now we see why! No, there should not be any calcium carbonate in the Calcium Sulfate material. Maybe try doing a search for Calcium Sulfate Dihydrate, or as previously suggested, Gypsum. I think I actually bought mine in a foil bag from ebay.
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"

Return to “2020 Lab Events”