Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Food Science B

Post by Unome »

DragonTownEpic wrote: November 18th, 2019, 9:12 pm
dvegadvol wrote: November 14th, 2019, 2:55 pm From the soinc.org site:

Section: 2 / Paragraph: B / Line: 1)
10/08/2019
FOR BOTH THE CHEMISTRY EVENTS, THE RULES SAY “EACH PARTICIPANT MAY BRING ONE 8.5” BY 11” SHEET OF PAPER.” DOES THIS MEAN EACH TEAM IS ALLOWED TWO PIECES OF PAPER, OR DOES “PARTICIPANT” MEAN TEAM?

If a team has two participants in these events it is allowed two reference sheets; one for each participant. If for some reason the team only has a single participant in the event then that team is allowed a single reference sheet for that participant. If two sheets are used the content does not have to be exactly the same on both sheets.

https://www.soinc.org/food-science
So if you have a partner you basically get two double-sided cheat sheets???
Yes.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Fshs19
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Fshs19 »

What size beaker/graduated cylinder should be used for building the salinometer? Will a different size one be disqualified?

Thanks!
alisx255
Division: B
State: MI

Post by alisx255 »

My salinometer keeps rising overnight and I don't see any leaks. My salinometer is a straw with some pieces of metal at the bottom. Is there any way I could fix this?
FiveW's
Division: C
State: IN

Post by FiveW's »

alisx255 wrote: December 12th, 2019, 6:48 pm My salinometer keeps rising overnight and I don't see any leaks. My salinometer is a straw with some pieces of metal at the bottom. Is there any way I could fix this?
If its rising that means that it got lighter or the volume expanded so, you could just add more to get it back to the same overall density.
Avocado's Law
alisx255
State: MI

Post by alisx255 »

FiveW's wrote: December 13th, 2019, 6:19 am
alisx255 wrote: December 12th, 2019, 6:48 pm My salinometer keeps rising overnight and I don't see any leaks. My salinometer is a straw with some pieces of metal at the bottom. Is there any way I could fix this?
If its rising that means that it got lighter or the volume expanded so, you could just add more to get it back to the same overall density.
I think I figured out what's causing the problem. Thanks!
gz839918
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: WI
Pronouns: Ask My Pronouns

Post by gz839918 »

Fshs19 wrote: December 10th, 2019, 3:24 pm What size beaker/graduated cylinder should be used for building the salinometer? Will a different size one be disqualified?

Thanks!
You should build your salinometer so that it can fit within a 500 mL beaker, according to the rules manual. However, you won't be building a salinometer out of a beaker, so you won't have to bring your own. If your salinometer is too big for the beaker that the event supervisor gives you, you won't be disqualified, but you may not be able to successfully measure the salinity, so I'd suggest practicing with only 500 mL beakers. You also won't necessarily receive a graduated cylinder to test your salinometer, so again, it's helpful to test your salinometer inside a beaker. Good luck!
I ❤ sounds of music! About meRate my tests

Carmel High School ’19
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill ’23
“People overestimate what they can do in a day, and underestimate what they can do in a lifetime.” –Unknown
NewScioly
State: FL

Re: Food Science B (Scale/Rolling Pin)

Post by NewScioly »

We recently attended an Invitational and our team was told to have brought a scale to weigh pickle and bring a "rolling pin" to take out the "juice" from pickle. Afterwards, my participants looked at the rules and couldn't find it.

Please does anyone know if this is mandatory for regional? They are in fear if they do bring it and not allowed they'll get points deducted.
gz839918
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: WI
Pronouns: Ask My Pronouns

Post by gz839918 »

NewScioly wrote: December 21st, 2019, 5:30 pm We recently attended an Invitational and our team was told to have brought a scale to weigh pickle and bring a "rolling pin" to take out the "juice" from pickle. Afterwards, my participants looked at the rules and couldn't find it.

Please does anyone know if this is mandatory for regional? They are in fear if they do bring it and not allowed they'll get points deducted.
I'm sorry to hear the trouble this has caused for your team. I would definitely recommend bringing your own laboratory equipment, although a rolling pin is quite out of the blue. Page B45 of the rules manual has a list of recommend things for your students to bring with them to the room for food science. A rolling pin isn't one of the listed items, and the rules manual doesn't call for dehydrating a pickle, so I'd guess it won't resurface at your regionals. The main exception is that if the person who ran food science at the invitational is also running food science at regionals, then you might have to worry about it showing up again. If you're worried, you could ask your regional tournament director whether they have a formal process of appeals in case an event supervisor doesn't follow the official rules.
I ❤ sounds of music! About meRate my tests

Carmel High School ’19
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill ’23
“People overestimate what they can do in a day, and underestimate what they can do in a lifetime.” –Unknown
DragonTownEpic
Division: C
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by DragonTownEpic »

gz839918 wrote: December 23rd, 2019, 6:54 pm
NewScioly wrote: December 21st, 2019, 5:30 pm We recently attended an Invitational and our team was told to have brought a scale to weigh pickle and bring a "rolling pin" to take out the "juice" from pickle. Afterwards, my participants looked at the rules and couldn't find it.

I'm sorry to hear the trouble this has caused for your team. I would definitely recommend bringing your own laboratory equipment, although a rolling pin is quite out of the blue. Page B45 of the rules manual has a list of recommend things for your students to bring with them to the room for food science. A rolling pin isn't one of the listed items, and the rules manual doesn't call for dehydrating a pickle, so I'd guess it won't resurface at your regionals. The main exception is that if the person who ran food science at the invitational is also running food science at regionals, then you might have to worry about it showing up again. If you're worried, you could ask your regional tournament director whether they have a formal process of appeals in case an event supervisor doesn't follow the official rules.
The recommended way on a few online resources to measure the water activity of a food is to
1. Put the food in a plastic bag
2. Pulverize it with a rolling pin
3. Drain the liquid out of the bag by tearing a small hole in the corner.
4. Measuring the change in mass of the food item.
However, it is unreasonable to expect every team to bring a rolling pin in their lab kit, so I have no idea why they didn't provide one.
I CAN DAB AT COMPETITIONS AGAIN :x :x :x
eeklol

Post by eeklol »

I apologize if this question has already been answered--

In terms of the salinometer build for Food Science, is it permitted to build an Arduino or Raspberry Pi electric salinometer? It is rather unclear in the rules if this is allowed.

Thanks for your time!

Return to “2020 Lab Events”