Circuit Lab B/C

jaggie34
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Circuit Lab B/C

Post by jaggie34 »

MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote: February 25th, 2020, 6:14 pm I'm unsure of what to expect for a riegonals lab. Any suggestions of good lab practice. I've seen many types of lab's at several competitions like simple resistance of resistor, and voltage drop; but also things I've never heard of like an R2R ladder until the test (Solon). I just needed an opinion on what might be on a competitive regional test Lab section. Thanks!
Regionals are always so difficult to predict, but if I had to guess you'll probably get a breadboard with some mystery resistors, maybe a bridge circuit, but probably nothing as complicated as the R2R bridge you mentioned.
Boca Raton High School -> Georgia Tech
It's About Time writer/co-writer: Golden Gate, Georgia States
Ping Pong Parachute co-ES: MIT
Florida Game On C and Fermi Questions C champion!
and Circuit Lab too I guess
lindsmaurer
Division: C
State: OH

Post by lindsmaurer »

MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote: February 25th, 2020, 6:14 pm I'm unsure of what to expect for a riegonals lab. Any suggestions of good lab practice. I've seen many types of lab's at several competitions like simple resistance of resistor, and voltage drop; but also things I've never heard of like an R2R ladder until the test (Solon). I just needed an opinion on what might be on a competitive regional test Lab section. Thanks!
Mystery resistor labs are really common, as are constructions that turn on lights (usually LEDs) in specific ways.
Solon HS Captain
DMAH
Sassy #137
1-3 placements: 58
Medals + ribbons: 109

Fossils: X/2/3
Code: 2/1/10
Sounds: 1/2/11
Detector: 1/2/X
Circuits: 8/X/X
Gravity: 7/X/X
GLM: X\X\X
jmams
Division: B
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Hands-on LEDs

Post by jmams »

Fleshing out our team's preparation for regionals -- what is a typical "Equally Bright LED" hands-on task? Is it as complicated as looking up luminance/current specs for totally different LEDs, or generally something more like using different voltage supplies and matching the current so that similar LEDs light equally?
Krish2007
State: TX
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Hands-on LEDs

Post by Krish2007 »

jmams wrote: March 5th, 2020, 12:53 am Fleshing out our team's preparation for regionals -- what is a typical "Equally Bright LED" hands-on task? Is it as complicated as looking up luminance/current specs for totally different LEDs, or generally something more like using different voltage supplies and matching the current so that similar LEDs light equally?
This is usually really simple. Usually putting the 2 LEDs in parallel is all you need to do. You just have to match the current into each LED, like you said.
Seven Lakes High School '25
Beckendorff Junior High '21
waterboy
Division: B
State: IN

Post by waterboy »

Krish2007 wrote: March 5th, 2020, 3:49 pm
jmams wrote: March 5th, 2020, 12:53 am Fleshing out our team's preparation for regionals -- what is a typical "Equally Bright LED" hands-on task? Is it as complicated as looking up luminance/current specs for totally different LEDs, or generally something more like using different voltage supplies and matching the current so that similar LEDs light equally?
This is usually really simple. Usually putting the 2 LEDs in parallel is all you need to do. You just have to match the current into each LED, like you said.
Adding on to this, since LEDs light up because of the current going through them, wouldn't you want to attach them in series because current throughout a series circuit is the same? While in a parallel circuit, the currents could be different if there are other resistors in the circuit. If an LED was driven by current then it would be attached in parallel, but I thought that you would have to attach the LEDs in series with each other because the current is what makes the LED light up. An LED lighting up is caused by electrons changing energy levels. This change occurs when current runs through the LED. Equal Current=Equally Bright LEDs. This was just my thought, I could be wrong though.
Circuit Lab, Density Lab, Machines, Mission Possible :geek: :geek:
gz839918
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: WI
Pronouns: Ask My Pronouns

Post by gz839918 »

Krish2007 wrote: March 5th, 2020, 3:49 pm
A short warning to never place LEDs in parallel unless each LED is in series with a resistor. The LEDs will burn out extremely quickly. Here's a good explanation for why.

For two identical LEDs, it wouldn't matter whether you place them in series or parallel (here, assuming "parallel" means "in series with one resistor per LED"). That's because, well, they're identical—you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. For LEDs with different operating characteristics, it's the power that determines the brightness, and power would depend on the IV curve for that particular LED. So, even ignoring how crazily wacky human brightness perception is, it'd be kind of hard to create two equally bright LEDs without knowing the individual specifications for the two LEDs

jmams: since you don't get Internet on the day of the event, the properties of each LED will probably be provided to you. Or even more likely, you'll simply be asked to use identical LEDs without having to worry about the LED's unique properties. After all, this is most feasible for the people running the event (but nothing I wrote here is a guarantee)

Good luck to you all!
I ❤ sounds of music! About meRate my tests

Carmel High School ’19
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill ’23
“People overestimate what they can do in a day, and underestimate what they can do in a lifetime.” –Unknown
skylarrhaee
State: ND
Been thanked: 0

Post by skylarrhaee »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote: September 5th, 2019, 12:23 pm
Pastaman202 wrote: September 5th, 2019, 10:34 am The website allaboutcircuits.com is pretty good for beginners, although it isn’t a textbook. That website was a great introduction and relatively easy information, with a few sections that could be a bit more difficult.
I highly recommend this one for people that don't have a solid grasp of physics already. It would definitely be great for middle schoolers.
https://www.physicsclassroom.com/Physic ... it-Builder
https://universeandmore.com/crackthecircuit/
MoMoney$$$;)0)

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) »

skylarrhaee wrote: March 23rd, 2020, 6:50 am
Pastaman202 wrote: September 5th, 2019, 10:34 am The website allaboutcircuits.com is pretty good for beginners, although it isn’t a textbook. That website was a great introduction and relatively easy information, with a few sections that could be a bit more difficult.
I highly recommend this one for people that don't have a solid grasp of physics already. It would definitely be great for middle schoolers.
Good find; but it doesn't really grasp the event as a whole. You'd be better off for next year by reading an AP Physics 2 textbook, in the circuits section; or even reading the section on circuits in a college physics textbook.
Division C - Northeast Ohio
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling

2019-2020 Medal Count: 5 :cry:
"Don't be upset by the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do'
Memberships: Builder Cult
imaditi
State: FL

Post by imaditi »

MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote: March 23rd, 2020, 9:13 am
skylarrhaee wrote: March 23rd, 2020, 6:50 am

Good find; but it doesn't really grasp the event as a whole. You'd be better off for next year by reading an AP Physics 2 textbook, in the circuits section; or even reading the section on circuits in a college physics textbook.
if you want basic videos khan academy and organic chemistry tutor are good (especially for methods like node voltage)
Orlando Science High School '23

imaditi's userpage
2017: Optics, Wind Power, Anatomy
2018: Optics, Rocks & Minerals, Battery Buggy
2019: Game On, Battery Buggy, Herp, Mystery
2020: Circuit, Machines, Detector, Code
MoMoney$$$;)0)

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) »

imaditi wrote: March 26th, 2020, 6:35 am
MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote: March 23rd, 2020, 9:13 am
if you want basic videos khan academy and organic chemistry tutor are good (especially for methods like node voltage)
Yes, they generally give you the right idea as a whole, but to further grasp any and all topics that may show up on more advanced tests, you're better of studying a textbook then studying many articles on a topic. Video's as you said will help you visually grasp a topic as well.
Division C - Northeast Ohio
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling

2019-2020 Medal Count: 5 :cry:
"Don't be upset by the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do'
Memberships: Builder Cult

Return to “2020 Lab Events”