Circuit Lab B/C

windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Re: Circuit Lab B/C

Post by windu34 »

MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote: January 30th, 2020, 7:24 am I need immediate help finding a good condensed formula sheet. Any immediate help would be appreciated. Thanks!
I would recommend looking for Physics E&M formula sheets from College Board or other sources. You may need multiple to have everything you need.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
splane21
State: IN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by splane21 »

mrsherwood18 wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 1:14 pm Does anybody know a good way to learn this event really fast, I got thrown into this event 1 week before a competition and would like to do well
The videos posted on the Science Olympiad TV channel are a very good introduction if you don't know anything at all about circuits/circuit lab.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP8aC0U-BNI&t=1s

However, tests may be more advanced so you'll have to turn to textbooks/other sources.
Carmel HS (IN) '19
Georgia Tech (GA) '23

1st Chemistry Lab-Nationals 2019
1st Experimental Design-Nationals 2019
dreamtx01
Division: B
State: TX

Post by dreamtx01 »

Team participated in an invitational on circuit lab B, and I noticed some emphasis was placed on logic/boolean operations. The syllabus for division B says otherwise. "The syllabus says Division C only: Basic logic and digital logic operations "
I also noticed some of the past papers for circuit B to also have boolean operations

Is it something the team needs to study going forward in preparation for the regionals? or is there a miscommunication between the people setting the tests and the people who created the syllabus?
Creationist127
Division: C
State: IN
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Creationist127 »

dreamtx01 wrote: January 31st, 2020, 12:11 pm Team participated in an invitational on circuit lab B, and I noticed some emphasis was placed on logic/boolean operations. The syllabus for division B says otherwise. "The syllabus says Division C only: Basic logic and digital logic operations "
I also noticed some of the past papers for circuit B to also have boolean operations

Is it something the team needs to study going forward in preparation for the regionals? or is there a miscommunication between the people setting the tests and the people who created the syllabus?
I have seen quite a few tests which contain material not in the rules, restricted to Div C, or flat-out banned. I would say that it would be a good idea to have a basic knowledge of the Div C topics, or even just a couple pages in the binder--preparedness never hurts. I wouldn't spend a ton of time on it, though; at most competitions, the rules will be followed.
2018: Hovercraft, Thermo, Coaster, Solar System
2019: Thermo, Circuit Lab, Sounds, Wright Stuff
2020: Circuit Lab, Wright Stuff, Machines
2021: Circuit Lab, Machines, WIDI, anything but Wright Stuff

Can I request that we delete 2020 from our memories and do it over again?
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

Circuit Lab C Exam, Key, and stats from the Solon Invitational can be found here
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

Creationist127 wrote: January 31st, 2020, 1:10 pm I have seen quite a few tests which contain material not in the rules, restricted to Div C, or flat-out banned. I would say that it would be a good idea to have a basic knowledge of the Div C topics, or even just a couple pages in the binder--preparedness never hurts. I wouldn't spend a ton of time on it, though; at most competitions, the rules will be followed.
At regionals, if off-syllabus questions come up, it's worth taking it to arbitration. You might get the illegal question excluded from the score.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

Circuit Lab C exam, key, and distributions from the Princeton Invitational can be found here.
Nba2302
State: MN

Post by Nba2302 »

How math dependent is this event? Do you need to be good at math to be good at this event?
azboy1910
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by azboy1910 »

You will need to do calculations for circuits, using laws such as Ohm's Law and Kirchhoff's Laws, but you should keep a lot of theory in your binder too. It will help.
cqcumbr
Division: B
State: HI

Post by cqcumbr »

Has anyone seen the Thevenin & Norton equivalent circuits on any tests (div B)? It’s on the national list of topics, but I haven’t seen it on any tests (regionals, invys).
Iolani Div. B
2019-2021 Events:
Crime Busters
Water Quality
Circuit Lab
Boomilever?

Return to “2020 Lab Events”