Sounds of Music C

rabbitman
Has thanked: 0

Re: Sounds of Music C

Post by rabbitman »

builderguy135 wrote: i have so many regrets building a string instrument
or do you have so many regrets building a violin instead of a guitar?
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by builderguy135 »

rabbitman wrote: January 28th, 2020, 7:31 am
builderguy135 wrote: i have so many regrets building a string instrument
or do you have so many regrets building a violin instead of a guitar?
smh

ftr acl is still wrong lol
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
mastersuperfan
State: MA
Been thanked: 0

Post by mastersuperfan »

Exams and score distributions have been released for 2020 MIT Sounds of Music. You can find them in this post.

Additionally, I want to highlight this part for all future tournaments running Sounds of Music:
mastersuperfan wrote: January 29th, 2020, 1:08 pm A word of caution for all future tournaments: First of all, please make sure that you have re-downloaded the updated Sounds of Music scoresheet (v0.5) from soinc.org/sounds-music-c. Secondly, even though SOINC has updated the spreadsheet, it should NOT be imported into Google Sheets. Using Google Sheets instead of Microsoft Excel causes skipped and invalid pitches to earn full scores, so PLEASE use it in Microsoft Excel only.
2020 MIT Sounds of Music Event Co-Supervisor
Acton-Boxborough Regional High School '19
2019 Nationals: 1st Anatomy and Physiology, 1st Designer Genes, 2nd Chemistry Lab, 2nd Sounds of Music, 3rd Forensics
2018 Nationals: 1st Chemistry Lab, 6th Forensics, 8th Herpetology, 9th Anatomy and Physiology
chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by chalker »

mastersuperfan wrote: January 29th, 2020, 1:08 pm A word of caution for all future tournaments: First of all, please make sure that you have re-downloaded the updated Sounds of Music scoresheet (v0.5) from soinc.org/sounds-music-c. Secondly, even though SOINC has updated the spreadsheet, it should NOT be imported into Google Sheets. Using Google Sheets instead of Microsoft Excel causes skipped and invalid pitches to earn full scores, so PLEASE use it in Microsoft Excel only.
Just wanted to chime in on this: it wasn't so much an 'error' in the spreadsheet as a miscommunication on how to input values. On the official team checklist, there are spots to write down the 'missed cents'. We (those of us at the National level who were involved in creating this) assumed that people would just put a positive number in there, even if the played pitch was lower than the actual pitch. Hence, in the corresponding cells on the scoring spreadsheet we didn't check for negative numbers, nor did we take the absolute value of any negative number that was inserted. The revised spreadsheet does take the absolute value in case anyone does input a negative value for cents off.

Hence, incorrect scores were only calculated if you put in negative numbers for the cents off values. Seeing as how this is the first we've heard of this, I assume it's rarely cropped up in previous tournaments.

Also, please note that we don't recommend trying to import any of the scoring spreadsheets into Google Sheets. We experimented a few years ago with this and found that there were often conversion errors. However, I'd be happy to have a chat with anyone that thinks there is a demand for Google Sheet versions and is willing to put the effort into manually creating them for posting on the national site.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
glin1011
State: FL
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by glin1011 »

Hi guys!

A couple of weeks ago I competed at our Regional tournament and qualified for our upcoming State tournament; I know this may seem like a weird question but I'm still a bit lost on how event supervisors judge my logbook/how I'm supposed to do the logbook properly. I know SOINC attached an example spreadsheet with what they want, but I'm still confused on how I should be arranging it properly, especially if whether or not I need a line graph.

My instrument is a copper-piped marimba created with wood, nails, and rubber bands to hold the pipes in, but my partner & I are still debating on whether or not we should be changing the instrument, especially since the marimba caught so many overtones towards the end of my pitch test.

Any clarification(s) could help!
River City Science Academy Class of 2020
Division B Experimental Design Coach
Division C Team Member/Assistant Manager

2020 Events: Sounds of Music; Ping Pong Parachute; Boomilever; Experimental Design
University of Florida '24
Micker
State: IL
Been thanked: 0

Post by Micker »

Some clarification abt MIT sounds. Apparently our proctor at MIT just doesn’t know how to work a usb microphone because I tested using the same microphone that they’re using at nats and it picked up from a foot away. Maybe the proctor didn’t actually connect to the microphone and was using his internal microphone instead which sucks cause a lot of xylophones at MIT took Ls.
TheSquaad

Post by TheSquaad »

Micker wrote: January 30th, 2020, 9:48 am Some clarification abt MIT sounds. Apparently our proctor at MIT just doesn’t know how to work a usb microphone because I tested using the same microphone that they’re using at nats and it picked up from a foot away. Maybe the proctor didn’t actually connect to the microphone and was using his internal microphone instead which sucks cause a lot of xylophones at MIT took Ls.
MIT Build ES here. We constantly checked throughout the day that the mics were connected and working. The only times that the mics didn't detect anything was in instruments that I myself would describe as incredibly quiet. These instruments were typically idiophones (mbiras, glockenspiels, etc.) that had either tiny or completely lacked resonator chambers. If you have a quarter-inch diameter tube glockenspiel with no resonating box, there's a good chance it's either too quiet or the fundamental will be too weak, causing overtones to be picked up. Note that this only happened to a handful of builds; there were plenty of successful idiophones and xylophones in particular. Several even got near-perfect scores. Perhaps the acoustics in the rooms weren't the best -- that's beyond our control. But the mics worked properly, and the only builds that didn't register were ones that I would have personally deemed questionable.
Giantpants
State: NY

Post by Giantpants »

Sorry if this has already been answered somewhere, what software was used for instrument testing at MIT? Always nice to find out how our instrument would fare with varying software (although ideally it shouldn’t change at all lol)
Haverford College, Class of 2024!
Former President, Kellenberg, 2018-2020
Bro. Joseph Fox, 2014-2017

Events I'm Writing in 2023: Sounds of Music, Rocks and Minerals
Events I've Written in Years Past: Geologic Mapping, Remote Sensing
Giantpants's Userpage
TheSquaad

Post by TheSquaad »

Giantpants wrote: January 30th, 2020, 11:09 am Sorry if this has already been answered somewhere, what software was used for instrument testing at MIT? Always nice to find out how our instrument would fare with varying software (although ideally it shouldn’t change at all lol)
pascioly.org/sounds
That's what nationals will be using too.
Giantpants
State: NY

Post by Giantpants »

TheSquaad wrote: January 30th, 2020, 11:13 am
Giantpants wrote: January 30th, 2020, 11:09 am Sorry if this has already been answered somewhere, what software was used for instrument testing at MIT? Always nice to find out how our instrument would fare with varying software (although ideally it shouldn’t change at all lol)
pascioly.org/sounds
That's what nationals will be using too.
Thanks, I’m pretty sure that’s been used by every tournament we’ve attended so far. Hooray for consistency!
Haverford College, Class of 2024!
Former President, Kellenberg, 2018-2020
Bro. Joseph Fox, 2014-2017

Events I'm Writing in 2023: Sounds of Music, Rocks and Minerals
Events I've Written in Years Past: Geologic Mapping, Remote Sensing
Giantpants's Userpage

Return to “2020 Lab Events”