Density Lab B

Adi1008
Division: Grad
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Density Lab B

Post by Adi1008 »

Density Lab B: Participants compete in activities and answer questions about mass, density, number density, area density, concentration, pressure and buoyancy.

Density Lab Wiki

Density Lab Test Exchange 2019

Past Threads: 2018 WA Trial, 2019

Past Question Marathons: 2019
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
NSCDS3RdCaptain
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Density Lab B

Post by NSCDS3RdCaptain »

Do any of you know what is meant by rule 3b? Also, what do you think of rules 4b and 4c?
Thermodynamics 3/26/x
Thermodynamics 7/ /x
Water Quality 3/ /x
Battery Buggy 1/2/x
Battery Buggy 2/ /x
Ecology 3/12/x
Optics 4/26/x
Density Lab 4/ /x
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

NSCDS3RdCaptain wrote: September 3rd, 2019, 5:19 am Do any of you know what is meant by rule 3b? Also, what do you think of rules 4b and 4c?
Regarding 3b, Wikipedia is always a good first stop: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adiabatic_process

4b and 4c are pretty much the same as in the past, just a slight tweaking to how we conveyed the relative percentages.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
Adi1008
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Adi1008 »

Hi y'all,

I'm writing the Density Lab test for the UT Invitational this October. Based on y'all's experiences in this event, what have been some of the best (i.e. most creative and challenging) labs you've seen? I'm having trouble coming up with something that isn't too difficult for Division B or too expensive right now.
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
Mwang12324161
Division: B
State: NC

Post by Mwang12324161 »

At 2019 NC states there was a lab where you calculated the density of shaving cream. You sprayed some foam on a paper towel and sucked up a given amount using a syringe and calculated that density, then compressed the syringe a given amount and calculated that density. It was pretty bad because trying to compress the syringe and measure its mass at the same time is hard. Piedmont squirted foam all over my partner, too. It was an accident though.
FiveW's
Division: C
State: IN

Post by FiveW's »

Mwang12324161 wrote: October 2nd, 2019, 5:59 pm At 2019 NC states there was a lab where you calculated the density of shaving cream. You sprayed some foam on a paper towel and sucked up a given amount using a syringe and calculated that density, then compressed the syringe a given amount and calculated that density. It was pretty bad because trying to compress the syringe and measure its mass at the same time is hard. Piedmont squirted foam all over my partner, too. It was an accident though.
Yeah that same lab happened at nationals. Some other pretty basic and cheap labs for the event I've seen would include:
Density of like a Lego thing and then determining if it would float or not.
Trying to get as many pennies as possible to float on a piece of foil without tipping.
The shaving cream one aforementioned.
A straw or cylindrical device with one end sealed and trying to get it to sink to a certain depth.
Trying to put as much weight in a 3D shape that has an opening that can be sealed, Cylinder would be most easy to get although I think seeing one as a pyramid may be challenging and fun, then the team that puts the most weight in the shape and it floats wins.
A density column would be really easy for competitors and cheap.
Also, for any lab how much time you give really can make it easier or harder.
Avocado's Law
Nba2302
Division: C
State: MN

Post by Nba2302 »

how do you practice the "lab" part of the event? I've always been doing good in the tests but I am bad at the lab part, and I saw that the lab part is now 50 percent or more of your score(before it was 25%)
Dwu1011
Division: B
State: NY

Post by Dwu1011 »

Nba2302 wrote: October 4th, 2019, 3:51 pm how do you practice the "lab" part of the event? I've always been doing good in the tests but I am bad at the lab part, and I saw that the lab part is now 50 percent or more of your score(before it was 25%)
What I did is I found some hard lab problems from different tests and modified them. I also did lab parts in different tests. Most of the problems in the lab portion are similar so you can use the same method to solve them.
Optics,Towers, Wright Stuff
Herpetology, Game On, Density Lab
2019-2020 Events:
Ornithology- 2/2/1/1
Density Lab - 1/2/1/4
ELG - 2/7/1/1
Machines- 4/1/1/0
Mission Possible - 13/15/1/1
Game On - 0/2/2/0
SQB - 0/0/0/0/1
Dwu1011's Userpage
Nathanfrommars

Post by Nathanfrommars »

Does any one know that “the small digital lab balance” will be provided in the Density Lab hand-on test or not? Thanks.
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

Nathanfrommars wrote: October 16th, 2019, 6:28 am Does any one know that “the small digital lab balance” will be provided in the Density Lab hand-on test or not? Thanks.
Read rule 2c.

Return to “2020 Lab Events”