Experimental Design B/C

splane21
Division: Grad
State: IN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Post by splane21 »

reninkidney wrote: November 9th, 2019, 9:20 pm For the Qualitative Observations, do the observations given throughout the experiment mean that the observations about the procedure/rules have to be given thorughout the experiment or do you need a specific section for 'other' observations that were given throughout the experiment because this year there is no space to put those observations on the Exp Design writeup template on soinc.org?
So if I were grading based on the current template, I would give all points for observations given throughout the course of the experiment for filling out all 3 columns (before, during, and after) for the procedure and for filling out the during and after columns for results. This is purely based off the fact that that's all the template allows though.

I personally think that the template isn't good for qualitative observations and there should be another section on the template where you can include general "before, during, and after" observations though.

I guess that didn't really answer your question, but maybe ask the ES if you're allowed to write outside the given templlate. If yes include another section for other observations. If not I assume that the ES will be grading based off you giving procedure/results observations throughout.
Carmel HS (IN) '19
Georgia Tech (GA) '23

1st Chemistry Lab-Nationals 2019
1st Experimental Design-Nationals 2019
reninkidney
Division: B
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by reninkidney »

splane21 wrote:
reninkidney wrote: November 9th, 2019, 9:20 pm For the Qualitative Observations, do the observations given throughout the experiment mean that the observations about the procedure/rules have to be given thorughout the experiment or do you need a specific section for 'other' observations that were given throughout the experiment because this year there is no space to put those observations on the Exp Design writeup template on soinc.org?
So if I were grading based on the current template, I would give all points for observations given throughout the course of the experiment for filling out all 3 columns (before, during, and after) for the procedure and for filling out the during and after columns for results. This is purely based off the fact that that's all the template allows though.

I personally think that the template isn't good for qualitative observations and there should be another section on the template where you can include general "before, during, and after" observations though.

I guess that didn't really answer your question, but maybe ask the ES if you're allowed to write outside the given templlate. If yes include another section for other observations. If not I assume that the ES will be grading based off you giving procedure/results observations throughout.
Thanks for your explanation! I have another question about the Qualitative Observations:

Can somebody clarify what the before, during, after, on the sonic.og Exp Design's template mean? How are you supposed write an observation after the experiment on the procedure or observation before the experiment on the results?
2021 Events: A&P, Heredity, XPD
splane21
State: IN

Post by splane21 »

reninkidney wrote: November 10th, 2019, 9:51 am
splane21 wrote:

Thanks for your explanation! I have another question about the Qualitative Observations:

Can somebody clarify what the before, during, after, on the sonic.og Exp Design's template mean? How are you supposed write an observation after the experiment on the procedure or observation before the experiment on the results?
I think a lot of people (including me) are waiting for a clarification on this. Again, if I"m grading, I would just ignore the observation before the experiment. For procedure after the experiment you could reflect on the procedure?
Carmel HS (IN) '19
Georgia Tech (GA) '23

1st Chemistry Lab-Nationals 2019
1st Experimental Design-Nationals 2019
will0416
Division: C
State: OH

Post by will0416 »

For the outliers CER, is everyone just planning on discussing what effect a certain outlier may have on the calculation of a particular statistic? That's what I thought of but I wasn't sure if it overlapped with the statistics CER a bit too much.
Mason ‘22
2021 Nats:
Chem - 1
Code - 5
SOM - 2
Boomi - 2

2019 Nats:
Code - 4
Mission - 4

Check out will0416's Userpage
sciolystudent2

Post by sciolystudent2 »

Hi, does anyone know...
1) the difference between a constant and controlled variable?
2) how do you calculate standard deviation?
MissAmargasaurus
State: ID

Post by MissAmargasaurus »

sciolystudent2 wrote: November 26th, 2019, 5:58 pm Hi, does anyone know...
I can't help you with 2 since I don't do the math sections, but I can help with 1!

A controlled variable is something in the experiment that you are not changing, but you could for a different experiment. For example, if you were doing an experiment on dropping a ball from different heights. One of your controlled variables could be the weight of the ball, since you aren't changing that in this experiment. The weight of the ball can be changed in a future experiment though.

A constant variable is something that does not change and you most likely will never be able to influence it. I usually use earth's gravity as a constant.

As a simple way to think about it, think about it like this. "What can I change in a related experiment" vs "This variable can not be changed."
2016-17: Expd, Invasive Species, Wind Power, Forenics
2017-18: Expd, Ecology, Herp
2018-19: Expd, Fossils, Herp, Wright Stuff
2019-20: Expd, Fossils, Ornith, Wright Stuff

TVHSOT captain of 2019-20. Finding your passion in events is the road to victory! I love ancient creatures & rocks. <3
lilAJ

Post by lilAJ »

Hi, I have two questions.
1) In the rubric for the data table section, one of the points state that example calculations for derived variables are needed. What does this mean?
2) If I was doing a simple ramp experiment, where I was testing the ramp height's effect on distance a ball travels after rolling down a ramp, what would I say for Conclusion claim?
sciolystudent2

Post by sciolystudent2 »

Hi,

Thank you for your explanation! It was very helpful for my event partners and I. Also, I was wondering if you might be able to explain what to write for the "reasoning" part of the analysis section? If so, that would be very helpful! Thank you!
sciolystudent2

Post by sciolystudent2 »

MissAmargasaurus wrote: November 28th, 2019, 2:59 pm
sciolystudent2 wrote: November 26th, 2019, 5:58 pm Hi, does anyone know...
I can't help you with 2 since I don't do the math sections, but I can help with 1!

A controlled variable is something in the experiment that you are not changing, but you could for a different experiment. For example, if you were doing an experiment on dropping a ball from different heights. One of your controlled variables could be the weight of the ball, since you aren't changing that in this experiment. The weight of the ball can be changed in a future experiment though.

A constant variable is something that does not change and you most likely will never be able to influence it. I usually use earth's gravity as a constant.

As a simple way to think about it, think about it like this. "What can I change in a related experiment" vs "This variable can not be changed."

Hi,

Thank you for your explanation! It was very helpful for my event partners and I. Also, I was wondering if you might be able to explain what to write for the "reasoning" part of the analysis section? If so, that would be very helpful! Thank you!
[/quote]
IHateClouds
State: PA

Post by IHateClouds »

[removed. TheMysteriousMapMans explanation is much better!
Last edited by IHateClouds on December 10th, 2019, 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “2020 Lab Events”