MoMoney$$$;)0)
Division: C
State: OH
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Write It Do It B/C

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) »

EwwPhysics wrote: March 25th, 2020, 10:41 am
MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote: March 25th, 2020, 9:29 am
wczappe wrote: March 24th, 2020, 7:28 pm For write it do it I highly recommend that you and your partner create a similar language. Meaning that if your partner writes fold the right corner 90 degrees. you know what that means. Basically just figure out key words with your partner and practice.
That is the way of write it do it, and how you WILL place.
Ehhh, not necessarily. WIDI is one of the most unpredictable events and one of the easiest to bomb. It really all depends on the structure that you’re given. At regionals, 2nd through 6th place were tied because it was such an easy WIDI. Really hard ones distinguish between teams a lot better, but they’re hard to come by. Even then, the time tiebreaker has to be used a lot because most WIDIs have a max of about 60 points on the rubric. Also, just getting one component wrong at the beginning can easily mess up the rest of the WIDI.
When I used to do the event in my old years, I recollect this being an issue, however practice makes perfect; and you can then improve tons by just doing multiple event runs with your partner.
Division C - Northeast Ohio
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling

2019-2020 Medal Count: 5 :cry:
"Don't be upset by the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do'
Memberships: Builder Cult
coopsadoodles
State: CT
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by coopsadoodles »

MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote: March 25th, 2020, 10:45 am
MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote: March 25th, 2020, 9:29 am

That is the way of write it do it, and how you WILL place.
Ehhh, not necessarily. WIDI is one of the most unpredictable events and one of the easiest to bomb. It really all depends on the structure that you’re given. At regionals, 2nd through 6th place were tied because it was such an easy WIDI. Really hard ones distinguish between teams a lot better, but they’re hard to come by. Even then, the time tiebreaker has to be used a lot because most WIDIs have a max of about 60 points on the rubric. Also, just getting one component wrong at the beginning can easily mess up the rest of the WIDI.
When I used to do the event in my old years, I recollect this being an issue, however practice makes perfect; and you can then improve tons by just doing multiple event runs with your partner.
it also helps a lot to do WIDIs that are much harder or more complex than the reality of most competitions. they help make a language with ur partner and going into the event you'll feel calmer if the build is simpler than what ur used to. it helps minimizes uhohoopsieseverythingbrokebcimtoooverwhealmed moments.
bedford ms '20, staples hs '24
chem lab, green gen, enviro chem, widi
EwwPhysics
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by EwwPhysics »

coopsadoodles wrote: March 26th, 2020, 1:23 am

it also helps a lot to do WIDIs that are much harder or more complex than the reality of most competitions. they help make a language with ur partner and going into the event you'll feel calmer if the build is simpler than what ur used to. it helps minimizes uhohoopsieseverythingbrokebcimtoooverwhealmed moments.
I agree, doing super hard WIDIs is really helpful (thank you IHateClouds for making me ridiculously impossible WIDIs... but at the same time, no thank you...). Though for me, if it’s super easy, I’m more nervous than if it was super hard because I know it’s really easy for everyone else as well...
btw congrats on getting 1st at garnet... I got 3rd welp
Lower Merion Captain '24
Cell bio, code, disease, forensics
Cell bio, codebusters, disease, envirochem (and widi, chem lab) 
Protein Modeling - 1st @ nats
Disease Detectives - 4th @ nats
Designer Genes - 1st @ states
Also fossils, widi, circuit
MoMoney$$$;)0)
State: OH
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) »

coopsadoodles wrote: March 26th, 2020, 1:23 am

Very true, but you must be prepared for everything that may show up. Now you have summer to practice and know the event like the back of your hand, utilize this time with your partner to give yourself an advantage over probably 3/4th of the teams.
Division C - Northeast Ohio
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling

2019-2020 Medal Count: 5 :cry:
"Don't be upset by the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do'
Memberships: Builder Cult
brookeklynn
State: ND
Has thanked: 0

Post by brookeklynn »

Write It Do It was the best event we competed in. I loved how not stressful it was and how after we were done with the writing portion some college students had came in and entertained us for the last 30 minutes. I was shocked when my team didn't win because I was very proud of my instructions but the overall experience was great. I reccommed any people doing the science olympiad to try this event at least once.
EwwPhysics
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by EwwPhysics »

brookeklynn wrote: March 26th, 2020, 11:59 am Write It Do It was the best event we competed in. I loved how not stressful it was and how after we were done with the writing portion some college students had came in and entertained us for the last 30 minutes. I was shocked when my team didn't win because I was very proud of my instructions but the overall experience was great. I reccommed any people doing the science olympiad to try this event at least once.
It’s not quite as stress free for the doer ;) we have to SIT AND WAIT DOING NOTHING FOR HALF AN HOUR IMAGINING WHAT THE WRITER IS GOING THROUGH...
I agree that it’s a pretty fun event though.
Lower Merion Captain '24
Cell bio, code, disease, forensics
Cell bio, codebusters, disease, envirochem (and widi, chem lab) 
Protein Modeling - 1st @ nats
Disease Detectives - 4th @ nats
Designer Genes - 1st @ states
Also fossils, widi, circuit

Return to “2020 Lab Events”