Write It Do It B/C

Adi1008
Division: Grad
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Write It Do It B/C

Post by Adi1008 »

Write It Do It B/C: One student will write a description of an object and how to build it, and then the other student will attempt to construct the object from this description.

Write It Do It Wiki

Write It Do It Test Exchange 2019

Write It Do It Image Gallery

Past Threads: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
Team2Tact
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Write It Do It B/C

Post by Team2Tact »

WIDI is great!
NadiaT
State: NY

Post by NadiaT »

Does anyone have any advice on improving partner communication? We have been practicing a ton, but are still struggling.
Fayetteville Manlius High School
Class of 2022
20-21 Events: Disease Detectives, Water Quality
EwwPhysics
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by EwwPhysics »

NadiaT wrote: February 24th, 2020, 5:02 pm Does anyone have any advice on improving partner communication? We have been practicing a ton, but are still struggling.
Make sure that after each practice you discuss what you/your partner didn't understand or had trouble with at great length. Make sure you've established what systems for orientation, position, etc are best for you. Also, try to understand which materials are your strengths and weaknesses - for instance, my partner and I are pretty good at legos and k'nex, but we struggle with the more experimental materials, so we basically only practice with those.
Hope this helps!
Lower Merion Captain '24
Cell bio, code, disease, forensics
Cell bio, codebusters, disease, envirochem (and widi, chem lab) 
Protein Modeling - 1st @ nats
Disease Detectives - 4th @ nats
Designer Genes - 1st @ states
Also fossils, widi, circuit
NadiaT

Post by NadiaT »

EwwPhysics wrote: February 25th, 2020, 6:47 pm
NadiaT wrote: February 24th, 2020, 5:02 pm Does anyone have any advice on improving partner communication? We have been practicing a ton, but are still struggling.
Make sure that after each practice you discuss what you/your partner didn't understand or had trouble with at great length. Make sure you've established what systems for orientation, position, etc are best for you. Also, try to understand which materials are your strengths and weaknesses - for instance, my partner and I are pretty good at legos and k'nex, but we struggle with the more experimental materials, so we basically only practice with those.
Hope this helps!
Thanks so much!
Class of 2022
Team2Tact

Post by Team2Tact »

I'd also add that there are different methods of practice which help create a better understanding of the event.
1) I saw this in an old WIDI thread: the writer and the builder should be back to back, the writer has the build in front of them, and the builder has the tools to replicate it in front of them. In this position, the writer and builder can have an open dialogue on how to replicate the build. The writer can give any instructions, the builder can comment and ask questions, and this should continue without time limit until the pair is convinced they have completed it to the best of their abilities. Through this method, errors in communication can be found and solved in real time. It really is quite effective.
2) Flip roles. This can just generally help you understand each others' difficulties and be more ready to accomodate it. For example, as a writer, I am used to using very precise measurements such as inches and centimeters in my descriptions; however, after trying building again for the first time in months, I realized that trying to match these exact descriptions as a builder is way too time-costly. Instead, ratios such as 'halfway off', '2 cm from x AND 3 cm from y', and '2/3rds the diameter' all are much easier to understand and more efficient to carry out.
3) Generally improving communication with your partner. You don't need to be friends, but you NEED to be able to have an open and honest dialogue with them on a daily basis that, in some way I really can't tell you, acts to strengthen your confidence in each other. There is absolutely nothing more important to Write It Do It than a builder's confidence in his writer, and general communication outside of the event strengthens that.
I hope this helps!
NadiaT

Post by NadiaT »

Thank you! :)
Class of 2022
wczappe
State: ND

Post by wczappe »

For write it do it I highly recommend that you and your partner create a similar language. Meaning that if your partner writes fold the right corner 90 degrees. you know what that means. Basically just figure out key words with your partner and practice.
MoMoney$$$;)0)
State: OH
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) »

wczappe wrote: March 24th, 2020, 7:28 pm For write it do it I highly recommend that you and your partner create a similar language. Meaning that if your partner writes fold the right corner 90 degrees. you know what that means. Basically just figure out key words with your partner and practice.
That is the way of write it do it, and how you WILL place.
Division C - Northeast Ohio
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling

2019-2020 Medal Count: 5 :cry:
"Don't be upset by the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do'
Memberships: Builder Cult
EwwPhysics
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by EwwPhysics »

MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote: March 25th, 2020, 9:29 am
wczappe wrote: March 24th, 2020, 7:28 pm For write it do it I highly recommend that you and your partner create a similar language. Meaning that if your partner writes fold the right corner 90 degrees. you know what that means. Basically just figure out key words with your partner and practice.
That is the way of write it do it, and how you WILL place.
Ehhh, not necessarily. WIDI is one of the most unpredictable events and one of the easiest to bomb. It really all depends on the structure that you’re given. At regionals, 2nd through 6th place were tied because it was such an easy WIDI. Really hard ones distinguish between teams a lot better, but they’re hard to come by. Even then, the time tiebreaker has to be used a lot because most WIDIs have a max of about 60 points on the rubric. Also, just getting one component wrong at the beginning can easily mess up the rest of the WIDI.
Lower Merion Captain '24
Cell bio, code, disease, forensics
Cell bio, codebusters, disease, envirochem (and widi, chem lab) 
Protein Modeling - 1st @ nats
Disease Detectives - 4th @ nats
Designer Genes - 1st @ states
Also fossils, widi, circuit

Return to “2020 Lab Events”