CPScienceDude
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: IN
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Road Scholar B

Post by CPScienceDude »

iShinDasani wrote: February 11th, 2020, 11:52 am Does anybody have any test sets which they are willing to post for free?
Check mine too, it’s all the way at the bottom. I’ll post the link in a min.
Crown Point HS '23
Purdue University '27

Assassinator 139 and 147

About Me!
iShinDasani
State: FL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by iShinDasani »

PKinakin wrote: January 8th, 2020, 6:01 am
SleepyBird wrote: October 16th, 2019, 5:48 am Does anyone know which AAA map we will be needing this year?

Thanks so much!

Normally you will not know which AAA map you will be needing each year until the actual invitationals / competitions.
In my experience, the supervisors have never told us which maps we will need.
“There are approximately 1,010,300 words in the English language, but I could never string enough words together to properly explain how much I want to hit you with a chair.”
~Alexander Hamilton
foxfire
Division: B
State: CA

Post by foxfire »

I am a first time coach for Road Scholar. The students have read the Coaches Manual several times, and have done several practice tests. They asked for additional reading materials, what would you recommend? We do have the "Road Scholar Map Reading Manual 2020" CD, but there is so much in there it is hard to figure out what the students should focus on. Thank you!
iShinDasani

Post by iShinDasani »

Use the Road Scholar Coaches Manual, that helps give a lot of basic info for beginners in Road Scholar.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3avNku ... edit?pli=1
“There are approximately 1,010,300 words in the English language, but I could never string enough words together to properly explain how much I want to hit you with a chair.”
~Alexander Hamilton
anandymous
Division: C

Post by anandymous »

iShinDasani wrote: February 18th, 2020, 12:27 pm Use the Road Scholar Coaches Manual, that helps give a lot of basic info for beginners in Road Scholar.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3avNku ... edit?pli=1
Didn't the person above just say the students have read the material a few times over already?
For reading materials, I have no clue about that; I never really did that type of stuff
Have them research about each topic on the rules and how to do them??? I don't know

Honestly, if you had an experienced person in the event (like a coach or a team member) and access to maps (topo and highway), have them go over the features of each map, and how to do the things like PLSS, etc.
Then, start going over the practice tests together, so that they can ask the experienced person questions about what they need to know
That's how I learned 2 years ago, at least
Orlando Science Middle School
2020 Events: Dynamic Planet, Fossils, Meteorology, and Reach For The Stars
foxfire

Post by foxfire »

Unfortunately we are a relatively new team and don't have experienced folks who can coach the students. Hoping others have input on additional self-study resources. Thank you!
PKinakin

Post by PKinakin »

foxfire wrote: February 18th, 2020, 4:57 pm Unfortunately we are a relatively new team and don't have experienced folks who can coach the students. Hoping others have input on additional self-study resources. Thank you!
i have started a forum on question marathons for road scholar, but we instead talk about things that may help out different teams.
dc.9231

Post by dc.9231 »

Road Scholar is no longer a part of Science Olympiad. As of Science Olympiad 2020-2021, it will no longer be an event.
dc.9231

Post by dc.9231 »

drcubbin wrote: January 18th, 2020, 4:34 pm In checking the schedule of events for next year's SO Summer Institute, one of my former Olympians saw that Road Scholar is not listed as one of the scheduled events for 2020-21. Anyone hear about this?
Yes. Road Scholar is no longer going to be part of Science Olympiad in the 2020-2021 school year.
butterfingrz
Division: C

Post by butterfingrz »

How did you find out that Road Scholar will no longer be an event after this year?

Return to “2020 Study Events”