DerechosRYummy
Division: C
State: VA
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Meteorology B

Post by DerechosRYummy »

yeah lol you have to study really hard to beat powerhouses in almost all events (except stuff like mys arch and WIDI). the kids at these powerhouse schools rarely start knowing everything about a topic, so if you and your partner study harder than them, you can actually beat them. even if you don't, you still learn a lot.
IHateClouds
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by IHateClouds »

twig wrote: February 20th, 2020, 8:31 pm Yes, I have to study for Meteo because have you seen how insane these Kennedy, Jeffrey Trail, and Kraemer kids are? They are geniuses and I can not compete with them unless I study. You're lucky that you are in PA and not CA cause the competition is usually what everyone expects it to be, having Kennedy, Kraemer, and JT literally get most of the medals. That's why I get in shock when I get a medal lol cause I think "yeah the test was soo easy" then they call my main event that I try to focus on bc my partner is really bad at fossils... I was too in shock to know that we had beat Kraemer and JT in fossils at Mesa, and still managed to compete with them at JT... Meteo, on the other hand, is kinda my strength, but everyone is good at Meteo. You just need to be able to read all the diagrams and know your storms and you should do fine. You are also VERY VERY VERY SMART wth you are literally underestimating yourself
I'm literally so dumb oh my goodness
The whole team says i'm very smart but that's not even true... (I miss questions that I'm not supposed to in my events then i get frustrated at myself cause i know that we should've gotten that right, honestly if we didn't miss the questions we shouldn't have missed at jt, i think that my partner and i could have gotten like 5th or 6th smh)

I always miss the mark because of some stupid mistake in Meteo. That's why you should never let my Meteo partner read a weather map and let me read all the diagrams because i know how to... or you don't let me deal with hurricane questions
How is it even possible 50 multi choices in an hour? that's so little questions. I'm assuming that there would have been short answer too right?
Literally everything in CA is too intense we have more like 20 in JT then the rest was like reading stuff and short answer and DP was like 40 multi-choice the rest short answer about ~130 questions and so many teams giving up haha including my team as well and fossils (like always) there was a lot of running around and flipping over papers to waste other teams time, but then realize that you are slowing your second team down haha
DerechosRYummy wrote: February 21st, 2020, 11:11 am yeah lol you have to study really hard to beat powerhouses in almost all events (except stuff like mys arch and WIDI). the kids at these powerhouse schools rarely start knowing everything about a topic, so if you and your partner study harder than them, you can actually beat them. even if you don't, you still learn a lot.
hmmm i was kinda asking more about like how to deal with the lack of depth in the content in meteo. ig tahts not as much of a problem in other states. and twig thx lol and no it was only 50mc questions :shock: thats kind of my problem going into regs/states: if the test writer stays the same (based on score distributions and some other inferences, it seems likely) how much time should i really spend studying when i have a bunch of other events i could work on :?
Locoholic

Post by Locoholic »

IHateClouds wrote: February 20th, 2020, 5:46 pm
i had a warm body partner but yeah i did the test myself. uhm i dont think im that good at meteo like you guys sound smarter than me lol.
Please stop hacking. Now. Hacking is not ok. You beat us when you were by yourself, and we studied so much...
Anatomy, Crime Busters, Meteo, RFTS

NCS/L. Braddock/Rustin/Harvard/Regionals/States/Nats (nvm RIP)

Anatomy :( - 5/1/8/1/3/?
Crime Busters - 2/1/1/1/1/?
Meteo - 1/2/2/1/1/?
RFTS - 1/1/2/1/1/?
DerechosRYummy

Post by DerechosRYummy »

IHateClouds wrote: February 21st, 2020, 2:12 pm
twig wrote: February 20th, 2020, 8:31 pm Yes, I have to study for Meteo because have you seen how insane these Kennedy, Jeffrey Trail, and Kraemer kids are? They are geniuses and I can not compete with them unless I study. You're lucky that you are in PA and not CA cause the competition is usually what everyone expects it to be, having Kennedy, Kraemer, and JT literally get most of the medals. That's why I get in shock when I get a medal lol cause I think "yeah the test was soo easy" then they call my main event that I try to focus on bc my partner is really bad at fossils... I was too in shock to know that we had beat Kraemer and JT in fossils at Mesa, and still managed to compete with them at JT... Meteo, on the other hand, is kinda my strength, but everyone is good at Meteo. You just need to be able to read all the diagrams and know your storms and you should do fine. You are also VERY VERY VERY SMART wth you are literally underestimating yourself
I'm literally so dumb oh my goodness
The whole team says i'm very smart but that's not even true... (I miss questions that I'm not supposed to in my events then i get frustrated at myself cause i know that we should've gotten that right, honestly if we didn't miss the questions we shouldn't have missed at jt, i think that my partner and i could have gotten like 5th or 6th smh)

I always miss the mark because of some stupid mistake in Meteo. That's why you should never let my Meteo partner read a weather map and let me read all the diagrams because i know how to... or you don't let me deal with hurricane questions
How is it even possible 50 multi choices in an hour? that's so little questions. I'm assuming that there would have been short answer too right?
Literally everything in CA is too intense we have more like 20 in JT then the rest was like reading stuff and short answer and DP was like 40 multi-choice the rest short answer about ~130 questions and so many teams giving up haha including my team as well and fossils (like always) there was a lot of running around and flipping over papers to waste other teams time, but then realize that you are slowing your second team down haha
DerechosRYummy wrote: February 21st, 2020, 11:11 am yeah lol you have to study really hard to beat powerhouses in almost all events (except stuff like mys arch and WIDI). the kids at these powerhouse schools rarely start knowing everything about a topic, so if you and your partner study harder than them, you can actually beat them. even if you don't, you still learn a lot.
hmmm i was kinda asking more about like how to deal with the lack of depth in the content in meteo. ig tahts not as much of a problem in other states. and twig thx lol and no it was only 50mc questions :shock: thats kind of my problem going into regs/states: if the test writer stays the same (based on score distributions and some other inferences, it seems likely) how much time should i really spend studying when i have a bunch of other events i could work on :?
you’re too big brain just don’t do anything and you’ll still get first in all your events. from what it sounds like, PASO meteo seems easy, so I would focus more time on other events, but still work on meteo a bit.
IHateClouds

Post by IHateClouds »

DerechosRYummy wrote: February 22nd, 2020, 3:49 pm you’re too big brain just don’t do anything and you’ll still get first in all your events. from what it sounds like, PASO meteo seems easy, so I would focus more time on other events, but still work on meteo a bit.
lolll. yeah that was my plan and then i went down a rabbit hole about lightning and now i cant get out :lol:
DerechosRYummy

Post by DerechosRYummy »

IHateClouds wrote: February 22nd, 2020, 7:50 pm
DerechosRYummy wrote: February 22nd, 2020, 3:49 pm you’re too big brain just don’t do anything and you’ll still get first in all your events. from what it sounds like, PASO meteo seems easy, so I would focus more time on other events, but still work on meteo a bit.
lolll. yeah that was my plan and then i went down a rabbit hole about lightning and now i cant get out :lol:
lol I may or may not have done that... :|
twig
Division: B
State: CA

Post by twig »

My partner is kinda mad at me... Don't know why
Maybe cause of that FFA question

Should I study for Meteo (my lowest ranking today) for states or more DP???? or more bio for Fossils??? (much improvement from last year for DP and Fossils though)
but the DP test wasn't even hard today tbh (only 3 questions wrong, i believe costing us like 8 points, but that's ok) and the Fossils test was good, but I epically failed as i have said multiple times (forgetting to review counter-shading smh, probably >20 wrong XD, yet still called a Fossils god by many)

Meteo, Idk what happened, we just got wrecked by the multiple-choice (kinda)
And there was a random question that was more everyday weather than severe storms asking why Chinook winds are hot and dry like Santa Ana winds.

and apparently kids from other schools dislike me :?:
maybe because i was getting fossils medals at previous invys and they were still salty that I beat them?
2021 events: Fossils, DP, Meteo, Orni
2018-2021: Non-proud member of DMSO
2019-2024: co-coach of Meteorology, coach for Crime Busters,co-coach for Fossils,co-coach for R&M, co-coach for DP
A very non-intelligent crackhead during competition
IHateClouds

Post by IHateClouds »

twig wrote: February 22nd, 2020, 9:14 pm My partner is kinda mad at me... Don't know why

Should I study for Meteo (my lowest ranking today) for states or more DP???? or more bio for Fossils??? (much improvement from last year for DP and Fossils though)
but the DP test wasn't even hard today tbh (only 3 questions wrong, i believe costing us like 8 points, but that's ok) and the Fossils test was good, but I epically failed as i have said multiple times (forgetting to review counter-shading smh, probably >20 wrong XD, yet still called a Fossils god by many)

And there was a random question that was more everyday weather than severe storms asking why Chinook winds are hot and dry like Santa Ana winds.

maybe because i was getting fossils medals at previous invys and they were still salty that I beat them?
i would only study for your bad events if you really love them or if you care about your team's overall placement. also it depends if you think the ES is going to stay the same and write the same bad/offtopic(?) tests that might be hard to study for. (like is it worth it to spend time studying EW to improve your SS placement) since CA is so competitive, it seems like its not really an option to medal in all of your events (idk how competitive it rlly is, just making a guess there), so I would study most for your best event and try to place really high and beat those powerhouses lol. ( and i think that personally one high placing medal and some mediocre placements is a lot better than a bunch of good placements) like if others are calling you a fossils god you probs are so i would try rlly hard for that(or your best/favorite event) especially if youve been successful in that. :)
DerechosRYummy

Post by DerechosRYummy »

IHateClouds wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 8:35 am
twig wrote: February 22nd, 2020, 9:14 pm My partner is kinda mad at me... Don't know why

i would only study for your bad events if you really love them or if you care about your team's overall placement. also it depends if you think the ES is going to stay the same and write the same bad/offtopic(?) tests that might be hard to study for. (like is it worth it to spend time studying EW to improve your SS placement) since CA is so competitive, it seems like its not really an option to medal in all of your events (idk how competitive it rlly is, just making a guess there), so I would study most for your best event and try to place really high and beat those powerhouses lol. ( and i think that personally one high placing medal and some mediocre placements is a lot better than a bunch of good placements) like if others are calling you a fossils god you probs are so i would try rlly hard for that(or your best/favorite event) especially if youve been successful in that. :)
I agree with IHateClouds. Unless you want your team to place well (like my school always goes to Nats for Virginia), I'd focus mainly on the events that I really care about and want to medal in.
twig
Division: B
State: CA

Post by twig »

thanks! Does the ES ever stay the same? i'm not sure about that, but I don't think so. Just hoping that the brother and sister are not the E.S. for DP, cause they are good at it. and yes, CA is very competitive once you throw the OC schools in (Kraemer, JT, etc.) and you sprinkle some Carmel Valley, Mesa Robles, and Chaparral in there.
I don't like the fact that my coaches are saying "get a medal at states" for all of my events and I'm very indecisive so that's why I'm asking this.
Fossils/DP coach says get first for both, and Meteo coach said get a medal at states and "I'm proud of you girls" yesterday but then the day before he said "place higher than last year" (5th, now 4th oh my goodnesssssss)
I was also called a "Tim" (referring to Umaroth) when I ran and go get the medals because I thought we did trash in Fossils and ok in DP, as soon as they called it, i was so nervous, turns out we did well. My mom said that when we came out of Fossils, we looked so happy, but then they asked: "how did we do?" I said "bad", I think we were happy because we were talking to some team and were laughing a lot.

I don't even know what to study for Meteo now... they're just throwing some random trivia on there and expecting us to know it. States was well written last year but still outlining the basics, then going in depth at the end of the test by reading so many maps. I've been pretty successful in Fossils, and absolutely shocked too many times thinking that we did bad, but then we actually did really good. Chaparral officially can not keep up with my Fossils skills. I feel like i spent too much time on Fossils now, so I'm migrating to studying for DP and Meteo because my partner is still not satisfied with a fourth place in it at regionals. AND yay it's nice to know that my Fossils/DP partner abandoned me for anatomy AGAIN
2021 events: Fossils, DP, Meteo, Orni
2018-2021: Non-proud member of DMSO
2019-2024: co-coach of Meteorology, coach for Crime Busters,co-coach for Fossils,co-coach for R&M, co-coach for DP
A very non-intelligent crackhead during competition

Return to “2020 Study Events”