Meteorology B

Adi1008
Division: Grad
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Meteorology B

Post by Adi1008 »

Meteorology B: This event emphasizes understanding of basic meteorological principles associated with severe weather with emphasis on analysis and interpretation of meteorological data, graphs, charts and images.

Meteorology Wiki

Meteorology Test Exchange 2019

Past Threads: 2009 (Climate), 2010 (Everyday Weather), 2011 (Severe Storms), 2012 (Climate), 2013 (Everyday Weather), 2014 (Severe Storms), 2015 (Climate), 2016 (Everyday Weather), 2017 (Severe Storms), 2018 (Climate), 2019 (Everyday Weather)

Past Question Marathons: 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
rainbowunicorns
Division: B
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Meteorology B

Post by rainbowunicorns »

I have a question about the topics: does "large-scale circulation patterns" just refer to the three-cell diagram? Or is there more to it?
PANDA :P
IHateClouds
Division: C
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by IHateClouds »

I have a question about the topics: does "large-scale circulation patterns" just refer to the three-cell diagram? Or is there more to it?
I mean there are different models of large-scale circulation(like the single cell model) but they're really more of an Everyday Weather thing so they probably won't go more in depth than the three-cell model.
LiteralRhinoceros
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by LiteralRhinoceros »

i mean to be fair everyday weather is generally prominent in severe storms and climate as well, due to its more basic nature
Dank Memes Area Homeschool 2017-2019

Community MS '19
WW-P HS North '23

Events: DyPlan, GeoMapping, Astro

Userpage
SciolyGuy411
Has thanked: 0

Post by SciolyGuy411 »

First invite of the year. Test was pretty generic, almost like an everyday weather test from last year. Nothing on lightning or instruments. I do agree with past post that everyday weather overlaps a lot with SS. Hope to see more specifics to storms, scales, life cycle of storms and what drive their development and demise on next test. Also expect the Louisiana Tornadoes Outbreak this week to be added to materials. Like to see more activity on this thread too. Fly High, Go Far....
twig

Post by twig »

Since the event overlaps with everyday weather so much, would it be helpful to put information about each of the cells on the three cell model?
Also, would it be useful to know how to read diagrams such as upper air charts, Skew-T diagrams, Stuve diagrams?
2021 events: Fossils, DP, Meteo, Orni
2018-2021: Non-proud member of DMSO
2019-2024: co-coach of Meteorology, coach for Crime Busters,co-coach for Fossils,co-coach for R&M, co-coach for DP
A very non-intelligent crackhead during competition
IHateClouds

Post by IHateClouds »

twig wrote: January 13th, 2020, 10:26 am Since the event overlaps with everyday weather so much, would it be helpful to put information about each of the cells on the three cell model?
Also, would it be useful to know how to read diagrams such as upper air charts, Skew-T diagrams, Stuve diagrams?
it wouldn't hurt to put info on the three cell model, but honestly the most i've seen is about the jet stream. :(
there might be questions about upper air charts, but even last year, they were pretty simple. just know the basic parts. i wouldn't focus on those specific diagrams tho since they're not on the rules. (and even when they were, they didn't show up...)
twig

Post by twig »

What would we need to know about jet streams if they appear on the test?
(cause last invitational there were random questions about jetstreams as well as adiabatic rates)

*I AM IN NEED OF URGENT HELP COMPETITION IS JUST LIKE 5 DAYS AWAY :cry:
2019-2024: co-coach of Meteorology, coach for Crime Busters,co-coach for Fossils,co-coach for R&M, co-coach for DP
IHateClouds

Post by IHateClouds »

twig wrote: January 13th, 2020, 7:41 pm What would we need to know about jet streams if they appear on the test?
(cause last invitational there were random questions about jetstreams as well as adiabatic rates)

*I AM IN NEED OF URGENT HELP COMPETITION IS JUST LIKE 5 DAYS AWAY :cry:
I've seen stuff about longwaves and shortwaves, but that's pretty much it. the NWS is pretty good for jet streams. I've also seen polar vortices on tests too but that's more of a stretch. For adiabatic rates, just know the lapse rate and how to use it.

I hope you do well at your competition :D
twig

Post by twig »

Is there really anything to know about debris flows?
All I have on my cheat sheet (that I created) is that they have a higher density than mudslides. I figured that it won't be a major part of the test, but it may be useful in case they test us on it.

(I'm sorry if I am being annoying :cry: )

Return to “2020 Study Events”